Author Topic: Was the Lottery Rigged?  (Read 7277 times)

Was the Lottery Rigged?
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
While I'm not one, a lot of posters suggested before the lottery that it would be rigged somehow, most expecting it to be rigged against us. But as most people know by now, our combinations didn't just win the first draw, but actually came up the first THREE draws in a row. The odds of this happening by chance are just over 1.5%.

So, given how friendly the draw was for us, and in such an unlikely way, do people see this as evidence that the NBA interfered with the draw in our favor? Sincerely asking, not snarking.

Re: Was the Lottery Rigged?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My guess is that it's possible to tilt the odds a bit by tampering with the ping pong balls to make one number come up more often than all the other numbers. If the "1" ball was tampered with, that would substantially weigh things in the worst team's favor.

That said, I don't believe it's rigged, despite the worst team getting the pick three years in a row (1/64 odds), the Cleveland #1s, the Philly/LA/Boston trifecta two years in a row, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Lotto wasn't rigged.

Didn't believe it was rigged pre-lotto and don't believe it now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:29:50 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Yep, I believe it was. Not just for us. The Lakers got ''lucky'' as well. The Sixers lost the Lakers pick, but they got ''lucky'' enough to move up and grab a top-three pick.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I have a conspiracy theory that the league set up the lotto for us and the Lakers to set another future rivalry. They want to make Lonzo Ball vs Markelle Fultz as the headline. But if both were to botch that potential matchup, the league will make them pay by rigging their chance at the lottery next time.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It's possible. The storyline for the lakers Celtics rivalry was too good to pass up with these 2 elite guards that already rival each other in college

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I have a conspiracy theory that the league set up the lotto for us and the Lakers to set another future rivalry. They want to make Lonzo Ball vs Markelle Fultz as the headline. But if both were to botch that potential matchup, the league will make them pay by rigging their chance at the lottery next time.
Not necessarily. The Cavs have won it 3 times in 4 years. The Lakers have won the #2 pick 3 years in a row.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Until they do the process in the open it will always have allegations surrounding it.   There is no reason to do it behind closed doors.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well, we won so that kills the minute suspicions I had of it being rigged.  we'd never win if that were the case.

however, it did work out where 3 of top franchises the NBA would want to be contenders did get the 3 top spots.  (Knicks would have been the 4th of the NBA's prize franchises)

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 09:45:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Until they do the process in the open it will always have allegations surrounding it.   There is no reason to do it behind closed doors.

Because it's takes forever and isn't appealing to the mass audience. They usually release it later on in it's entirety.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Because it's takes forever and isn't appealing to the mass audience. They usually release it later on in it's entirety.

Yeah, they videoed the entire thing, didn't they?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:51 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

By ''forever'' you mean 15 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB2GNcAG6i4

That's 15 minutes with all the boring explanatory speeches involved. If they started the live coverage right after the speeches part ended, it would be far less than that.

This year they had to redraw 2 times and the actual lottery part was about 9 minutes long.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:21 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
As someone from Blazers Edge said.. If it was rigged there's no way the Blazers would get 1st pick over the Celtics in 2007

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 10:22:47 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I bet Kyrie Irving is convinced it's fixed. He probably has an amazing interpretation on it, I would love to see a reporter ask him.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
delete