Author Topic: What's Wrong With Isaiah?  (Read 7940 times)

Re: What's Wrong With Isaiah?
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
So if we think he's useless, what do we expect to get back in a trade?

Good question. Worth a new thread to figure out which teams if any would be interested enough in him to give us something decent-to-good in return? He's not completely useless. He's a regular season MVP candidate. Just useless in the playoffs.

Wow, I just perused all the teams using the ESPN trade machine, and, wow...there's almost no team (Dallas?) that would be interested in him. Besides us. Sigh.
What about a trade with the Sixers for Saric and the Sacramento 2019 unprotected first?

I'd do it, you'd do it, but why would Philly?
They need a point guard. IT was just voted for the All-NBA teams and he is considered an MVP candidate. He is a very good player just not what the C's need right now.

If you think that's not enough value for Philly let's say we throw in a sweetener as well.

IT + Boston 2018 for Saric and Sacramento 2019 (or something like that)

I mean, I'm just trying to put ideas out there for discussion. If you have a better idea in mind I'm all ears.

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Good question. Worth a new thread to figure out which teams if any would be interested enough in him to give us something decent-to-good in return? He's not completely useless. He's a regular season MVP candidate. Just useless in the playoffs.

Boston would not have made the playoffs without IT. 

Correct.

In fantasy land, if they had, they would've been swept by Chicago without IT.

I hate to be that guy, but...if Rondo isn't injured, they might have swept us anyway.

If Butler, Wade, and Rondo were all hurt and they somehow advanced, they would've been swept by Washington without IT.

Okay, he wasn't useless against Washington. Stipulated. He had three really good games.

He draws attention from team defenses that creates space and shots for every one else.  He has a very high BBIQ and creates for others - he has done than more in the playoffs than he did in the regular season. 

So, Boston is entirely reliant upon IT for offense.  Boston continues to overachieve, and despite a talent discrepancy throughout the playoffs, is now in the ECF.  But you believe IT is useless.  Do you see why that is fascinating to those that don't share your belief?

You are describing an Isaiah that doesn't exist against these Cavs in the playoffs. He's useless or worse against these Cavs right now. He was useless against the Bulls when Rondo was playing. He was useless or just about so against the Hawks last year. He was useless against the Cavs two years ago. He was useful against the Wizards, barely a net positive overall across the seven games, even with the 53 game.
I think you both are saying the same thing. Dino admits IT is a fine offensive player and that he carried us to the playoffs and is our only go-to scorer.
Tarheel, do you understand where Dino is coming from though?

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Wow, I just perused all the teams using the ESPN trade machine, and, wow...there's almost no team (Dallas?) that would be interested in him. Besides us. Sigh.
What about a trade with the Sixers for Saric and the Sacramento 2019 unprotected first?

They need a point guard. IT was just voted for the All-NBA teams and he is considered an MVP candidate. He is a very good player just not what the C's need right now.

If you think that's not enough value for Philly let's say we throw in a sweetener as well.

I mean, I'm just trying to put ideas out there for discussion. If you have a better idea in mind I'm all ears.

Nah, no better idea. It's a good idea. Belated TP.
Just have doubts Philly would do it.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
So are 484 of the 485 other players that played in the NBA this season.

Are there any other stars this postseason or recent postseasons who've been similarly shut down?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38:36 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Most of it is obviously how they are playing him if you pay attention.  Despite that he is doing great passing and still is contributing.

Personally I do think he has some lingering issues with his mouth or jaw and has been more reluctant to drive to the rim as a result.  However, this becomes tougher in the Playoffs in general, especially with the best teams, so it's not all that.  It's extremely common for teams to basically take away option number 1 and make you beat them otherwise.  The Celtics right now are spotting doing that and certainly have no answer for LeBron. 

I do think it's a factor right now.  I am sure he plays out of it though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Reports say they are interested highly in JJ redick. AB is better and younger, though he has 1 year left on deal. If we sign Hayward maybe: AB and Smart 4 Okafor and unprotected 2019 first and filler.

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Reports say they are interested highly in JJ redick. AB is better and younger, though he has 1 year left on deal. If we sign Hayward maybe: AB and Smart 4 Okafor and unprotected 2019 first and filler.

I'm not willing to give up Smart for Okafor. Smart guards Bigs better than Okafor does. Just play Smart at center. :)

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Are there any other stars this postseason or recent postseasons who've been similarly shut down?

Are there any other stars that have dragged a team like Boston to the Conference Finals in the past few years?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Are there any other stars that have dragged a team like Boston to the Conference Finals in the past few years?
It depends on what you mean when you say ''a team like Boston''.

Off the top of my head

DeRozan in 2016
Millsap in 2015
Marc Gasol in 2013

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

DeRozan in 2016

Wasn't even the best player on his team.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

DeRozan in 2016

Wasn't even the best player on his team.
Sure, you wanna go by Lowry? No problem by me.

The same point can be made about the C's this season. I mean, BS said AB was our MVP in the Washington series.

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He has dropped off considerably in production since his 53 point game 2 vs. Wiz.

Is he hurt?  Sure seems like it to me.

Is he worn down? A possibility, especially given his size and the beating he is taking.

Are the play-off referees (who clearly are letting more contact go than during the regular season) contributing to his decrease?  Certainly has impacted # of trips to foul line.

Lingering effects of his sister's death?  Possible he is still grieving. 

Other teams doing a better job of game planning against him?

All or some of the above have contributed to his loss of confidence.  He has always been streaky from the 3, but I swear I never saw him miss a jump shot within 15 feet during the regular season, and now he can't hit those.  Ditto the drop in his free throw shooting during the playoffs.  His confidence is really at a season low.

I hope he watches some film of himself playing earlier in the season. Might boost his confidence back up.

Thoughts??
the other teams in the playoffs that we've faced have top PGs which can take advantage of his height which is just what they've done.  I've pointed this out the past 2 years in the playoffs and said the same would happen this year which is just what's happening.

We will not really be contenders while IT is the best player on the team because he's easily taken advantage of in the playoffs and rendered either neutral (on a good shooting night) or a net negative (on a bad shooting night).  his height limits his playmaking ability such that he frequently either has to contort his body or jump to make a pass.  his inability to see over opposing players has come up as a factor in turnovers time and time again this playoff run.

The guy is a phenomenal scorer and even more effective when the rest of the team is shooting well but I have no problems moving on to a better PG with a more well-rounded game.  Fultz will hopefully be that player.

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2017, 09:54:48 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
He's worn down and needs some help from his teammates.  He got it in Game 7 vs Wiz.  He got no help last night and he had a sub par game himself.  He'll be fine.  But he needs help if the Celtics are going to be competitive in this series.

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

It depends on what you mean when you say ''a team like Boston''.

Off the top of my head

DeRozan in 2016
Millsap in 2015
Marc Gasol in 2013

No, no and no.  Derozan and Lowry on one team is a 1a and 1b situation and we don't have a 1b.  Millsap and Horford in the frontcourt with Bazemore and the offense running through Korver before he tanked is legit, that team won 60 games and were better than this team.  Memphis also had a great frontcourt in 2013 with Randolph and Gasol in their primes plus Conley who is now overpaid, but is a stud.  I think Kawhi this year is really the only other guy besides IT.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
He's 5'7

no way... I thought he was 5'5

did you guys see that block attempt on Lebron

all IT4 could do is dive towards Lebrons torso, after Crowder fouled him

hehe

hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn  i was told he was 4' 11" and had hairy feet like a hobbit!
LET'S GO CELTICS!