Author Topic: What's Wrong With Isaiah?  (Read 7934 times)

What's Wrong With Isaiah?
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
He has dropped off considerably in production since his 53 point game 2 vs. Wiz.

Is he hurt?  Sure seems like it to me.

Is he worn down? A possibility, especially given his size and the beating he is taking.

Are the play-off referees (who clearly are letting more contact go than during the regular season) contributing to his decrease?  Certainly has impacted # of trips to foul line.

Lingering effects of his sister's death?  Possible he is still grieving. 

Other teams doing a better job of game planning against him?

All or some of the above have contributed to his loss of confidence.  He has always been streaky from the 3, but I swear I never saw him miss a jump shot within 15 feet during the regular season, and now he can't hit those.  Ditto the drop in his free throw shooting during the playoffs.  His confidence is really at a season low.

I hope he watches some film of himself playing earlier in the season. Might boost his confidence back up.

Thoughts??

Re: What's Wrong With Isaiah?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He has dropped off considerably in production since his 53 point game 2 vs. Wiz.

Is he hurt?  Sure seems like it to me.

Is he worn down? A possibility, especially given his size and the beating he is taking.

Are the play-off referees (who clearly are letting more contact go than during the regular season) contributing to his decrease?  Certainly has impacted # of trips to foul line.

Lingering effects of his sister's death?  Possible he is still grieving. 

Other teams doing a better job of game planning against him?

All or some of the above have contributed to his loss of confidence.  He has always been streaky from the 3, but I swear I never saw him miss a jump shot within 15 feet during the regular season, and now he can't hit those.  Ditto the drop in his free throw shooting during the playoffs.  His confidence is really at a season low.

I hope he watches some film of himself playing earlier in the season. Might boost his confidence back up.

Thoughts??

do you think IT4 can impost his will against anybody/team?

He was double teammed vs the Wizards and did a good job passing the ball

Against the Cavs they don't have to double team him... he has problems against their versatile defense.... IT4 couldn't past Lebron 1 on 1

If he tries to drive ... guys like Lebron, Thompson are waiting for him

Teams like the Spurs and Cavs make him look ordinary

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
His free throw attempts have come down since the WASH series--where Gortat and Morris were allowed to hammer everyone....Dude is worn out physically and mentally---he has never been this far in one season and now all his hard play has caught up with him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think he's worn down. 

He has had one helluva season but that has to take a toll at some point.  Especially on his frame. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It's the playoffs and teams impose their will on him. Same exact thing happened last year, which many forgot considering the stand out season he had.
I think two years in a row with mediocre playoff production is really going to make people think he's not worth a max (at least to the Celtics).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:32:43 PM by jbpats »

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
He's 5'7

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 04:28:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Brad Stevens indicated at one point (I think it was after the Game 7 win) that Isaiah has been playing hurt, though he did not get specific.

When asked about it, Isaiah acknowledged it only as, "It's the playoffs" and that he was getting treatment.  Otherwise brushed it off.

I suspect a sore ankle.  That could explain some of his hesitations and being less quick & balanced with his feet lately.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
It's possible that he's beaten up a little bit, but I think the biggest factor is that Washington and Cleveland are throwing their entire defense at him.  There's a reason we murdered the Wizards with cuts.  IT has the entire defense ball-watching - he's going at the other team's best on-ball defender, and if he gets through that guy then he has two more coming to help.  He's getting our other guys tons of open shots, but the drawback is that IT rarely has any airspace himself.  He forces some shots through tight defense and turns the ball over at times, but in general I've been content with his decision-making. 

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:34:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's 5'7

no way... I thought he was 5'5

did you guys see that block attempt on Lebron

all IT4 could do is dive towards Lebrons torso, after Crowder fouled him

hehe

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Brad Stevens indicated at one point (I think it was after the Game 7 win) that Isaiah has been playing hurt, though he did not get specific.

When asked about it, Isaiah acknowledged it only as, "It's the playoffs" and that he was getting treatment.  Otherwise brushed it off.

I suspect a sore ankle.  That could explain some of his hesitations and being less quick & balanced with his feet lately.
It could just be a  dam good amount of aches and pains all over. I think most guys have some sort of nagging issue or tendonitis flaring up. After a long season and deep into the playoffs it's only natural.
It could be an ankle, did he sprain an ankle that we know of during any of the game in playoffs?

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

do you think IT4 can impost his will against anybody/team?

He was double teammed vs the Wizards and did a good job passing the ball

Against the Cavs they don't have to double team him... he has problems against their versatile defense.... IT4 couldn't past Lebron 1 on 1

If he tries to drive ... guys like Lebron, Thompson are waiting for him

Teams like the Spurs and Cavs make him look ordinary

This. ^^^^

Isaiah is rendered useless by the Cavs. Worse than useless, a net negative.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I think he's worn down. 

He has had one helluva season but that has to take a toll at some point.  Especially on his frame.

I'm sure he is dinged up. But  in the playoffs there is a great deal of preparation for each team.
Boston's offense is predicated by outside shooting. When Isaiah drives he needs to be able to  kick  the  ball to shooters.
Cleveland has prepared well, like they did the last two tiimes they faced Boston in a playoff series.
Alot of what IT can do, has been neutralized.  The guards are longer and quicker on the help defense. 
Brad wants an outside  game- three point shots.  Isaiah needs to get more open looks in the transition.  But Tristian Thompson is  munching on Boston. He slows any chance of Boston fastbreaks.

IT is fine, if the Celtics can control the  boards and if Stevens puts player on the  floor who  are a threat to score, IT will be his same old self.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
He hasn't been driving to the hoop as much. Part of that is that the defense is focusing on him. I think another part of it is subconsciously he knows that he's not getting the respect at the rim that he should be getting from refs. Once he hits a couple layups and maybe a couple free throws his confidence soars thru the roof and we see MVP IT. But when he's constantly getting smashed into the floor by guys a foot taller than him and not getting the calls he gets frustrated and is hesitant to attack the rim with the recklessness we r used to. It really is pathetic that the smallest guy on the court is allowed to get tossed around like a sand bag but LeBron barely gets grazed it's an immediate foul and then you got ty Lou begging for a flagrant. Brad needs to take one for the team and absolutely berate the refs next time it happens
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden