Author Topic: How the Celtics can get Heyward and Porzingis  (Read 4547 times)

How the Celtics can get Heyward and Porzingis
« on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
The potential lineup is as follows:

Horford
*Porzingis
^Hayward
Bradley
Thomas

Bench:
% Zizic
** Isaac / Markannen
Brown
Smart
Rozier

Deep Bench:
Jerebko
Green
Nader
Thiess

How does this happen?

* First on draft night, Celtics trade #1 and Crowder to NYK for Porzingis, #8, and 2019 #1 (unprotected)

**Second Celtics then trade #8 + #37 to move up to #7 and draft Isaac or can stay put at 8 and draft Markannen who replaces Olynyk

Clear out salary and sign Heyward.

Guaranteed existing contracts $61,083,926
Porzingis + $4,317,720
Pick #8 cap hold + $2,537,000
TOTAL $67,938,646

Plus $815,615 x 4 for roster cap holds. = $3,262,460

Grand total $71,201,106

Cap ~102,000,000

^ You have your $30.7 million+ for Heyward.
% Timing regarding signing Zizic saves cap room.

use room and vet min to fill out roster.

I am ok with trading Crowder (although he we will be missed) because Brown's growth will take his minutes and hello Hayward.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:26:07 PM by bcgenuis »

Re: How the Celtics can get Heyward and Porzingis
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Knicks wouldn't give us Porzingis straight up for no 1 and Crowder, and you want 8 pick and next year unprotected 1.

Reality check.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
The Knicks would do it.

By no means is Porzingis a great player at this point (he is very good but not great) nor does he project to be a sure fire HOF.  And he is not a great fit for the triangle.

Getting the #1 would be huge in NYC for Jackson and Crowder alone is worth a 2019 #1 if not more, considering his contract. And consider the Celtics are waiting for 2 years to see that pick.

I can understand if NY wants the 2019 pick top 3 or top 5 protected.  But this year's #1 for Porzingis is overpaying without getting the at least the #8 back. 

The value is definitely there. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:04:54 PM by bcgenuis »

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
First...NYK doesn't trade away Porzingas and two possible lottery lottery picks for #1 and Crowder...but lets say they would.

Next...are you completely renouncing the rights to Green, Johnson, and Jerebko and then expecting them to return on vet minimum contracts? If so I doubt they return. They will get better offers elsewhere.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
First...NYK doesn't trade away Porzingas and two possible lottery lottery picks for #1 and Crowder...but lets say they would.

Next...are you completely renouncing the rights to Green, Johnson, and Jerebko and then expecting them to return on vet minimum contracts? If so I doubt they return. They will get better offers elsewhere.

It is only one future possible lottery pick. And I will concede some protection on the pick - say top 8 in 2019, top 3 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021.

Green is already on a vet min., he may or may not get more next year.  Amir is washed up. He surely isn't going to see $15 million again. Jerebko may see some cash. But that is why they are deep bench players and there are others in league that can fill those roles at low salaries.

The Celtics may have the "room exception" to play with too. 

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Like Scal said last night---we'd HAVE to take on Carmelo's contract, for Phil to deal KP to us...highly doubt our front office and owners wanna go down that road.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Knicks wouldn't give us Porzingis straight up for no 1 and Crowder, and you want 8 pick and next year unprotected 1.

Reality check.

Probably not but value wise that seems more than fair. KP is very good, but the verdict is out whether or not he will be transcendent.

I would not give them much more than that

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
Like Scal said last night---we'd HAVE to take on Carmelo's contract, for Phil to deal KP to us...highly doubt our front office and owners wanna go down that road.

2 step trade with NYK and CLE

STEP 1
Melo and KP to BOS
Crowder and BOS 2018 #1 to NYK

C's have cap room to absorb Melo's contract.

Melo to CLE + Clippers pick
Love to BOS

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
I think more than anything else.  I wanted to show that the pundits saying there was no way to work the cap for Heyward were wrong.

Of course the NYK may decide they want to build around KP and wont trade him for #1 and next years BKN pick.

But the value is there.  Crowder is worth a first rounder.  DA will not trade him for less than that.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
What about this sort of scenario to get Porzingis:

Porzingis and Monta Ellis's bad contract to the Celtics

Paul George and Terry Rozier to the Knicks

Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Joakim Noah's horrible contract, and New York's #8 pick this year to the Pacers

--

Knicks can theoretically run the triangle with Carmelo and George

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The OP's idea is definitely plausible.

The only arguments are whether either or not both sides would do it or not or on small details such as filling out the deep bench.

I suspect it won't happen.  But it is the kind of thing Danny might pull off.   I suspect Phil would be reluctant about doing such a deal (though he might be enticed to do a Carmelo variation).

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 05:32:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
The only thing Phil Jackson has done right as Knicks GM is draft Porzingis. ( of course now he's alienated him with his bs...) He's not going to trade him.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
With only 2 years left, Carmelo's contract isn't bad.  The issue is the no trade clause so the Knicks will have limited options for where he gets traded.  Assuming the Bulls don't decide to trade Butler, I think there's a good chance Melo ends up there. 

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Knicks never do that deal. Not even close.

And aside from it just not being nearly enough for Porzingis, I'm a bit confused by what the supposed thinking would be behind the Knicks giving up Porzingis for a draft pick, even #1.

If they want to rebuild, they have to get rid of Anthony and they'd want to keep Porzingis who is still only 21 and has cornerstone potential. If they don't want to rebuild then they're not trading their best player (yes, I think he's better than Melo right now) for a pick, are they?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
well well well.