Author Topic: De'Aaron Fox tells teams at NBA Combine he's best point guard in Draft  (Read 9906 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If the Celtics keep Fultz, and Lonzo Ball has a learning curve trying to right the Lakers ship, I wouldn't be surprised if De'Aaron Fox had a very impressive rookie season for the Kings and ended up walking away with the ROY in a zero-expectations gig where he's just handed the reins.

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

After some soul searching I've come to this as my 'ideal offseason':

1) Keep Fultz, trade Rozier, keep Isaiah to 30 mins or less nightly with plenty of off-night rest, play Fultz like 22-24 mpg in a 4 guard rotation of IT/AB/MS/MF

2) Sign Gordon Hayward (not at all a fait accompli, I know).

3) Bring over Zizic and give Yabusele a shot.

4) Profit.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If the Celtics keep Fultz, and Lonzo Ball has a learning curve trying to right the Lakers ship, I wouldn't be surprised if De'Aaron Fox had a very impressive rookie season for the Kings and ended up walking away with the ROY in a zero-expectations gig where he's just handed the reins.

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

1) Keep Fultz, trade Rozier, keep Isaiah to 30 mins or less nightly with plenty of off-night rest, play Fultz like 22-24 mpg in a 4 guard rotation of IT/AB/MS/MF

4) Profit.
Is McHale coming off of retirement to start at PF, or will we try to woo Bill Walton?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What else do you expect him to say? You need to have confidence in yourself to succeed in the NBA.

I wonder if Danny will try to get in Fox and Fultz at the same time and have them go at a little 1 on 1

Isnt Danny known for creating workout battles like this

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
He's special physically and he has an edge to him.

But he's lacking in shot creation and shot making...so that drops him below Fultz to me.

What do you mean lacking in shot creation? This is Fox bread and butter... he has a very nice drive stop and pop also. 3 pt shooting is the question mark though he perform better in this area in the last 10 games. Shot 73 percent from the ft line

He looks like he needs the ball in his hands to be effective though...unlike Fultz who is more of a combo guard

Fox tenacious pressure defense might be more in line with the current Celtics squad than Fultz smooth defense

Fair point...I meant in comparison to Fultz.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He's special physically and he has an edge to him.

But he's lacking in shot creation and shot making...so that drops him below Fultz to me.

What do you mean lacking in shot creation? This is Fox bread and butter... he has a very nice drive stop and pop also. 3 pt shooting is the question mark though he perform better in this area in the last 10 games. Shot 73 percent from the ft line

He looks like he needs the ball in his hands to be effective though...unlike Fultz who is more of a combo guard

Fox tenacious pressure defense might be more in line with the current Celtics squad than Fultz smooth defense

Fair point...I meant in comparison to Fultz.

I get the what you mean...

Both can get off their shots...just differently

Fox can drive to the basket at will (like Wall)

Fultz can pull up at will (like Harden)

If you need a bucket I would be comfortable giving the ball to either of these prospects and moving out of the way

Fultz has a better body to withstand the physicality of the nba. Plus long wingspan.  But Fox is in in the one percentile in terms of explosiveness/quickness...

Overall edge to Fultz due to his versality/combo guard capability.... But Danny will bring in both in for a workout... Along with Ball (unless no show) , jackson etc.  Danny leaves no stones unturned

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

4) Profit.
Is McHale coming off of retirement to start at PF, or will we try to woo Bill Walton?

Well if those are your 1st and 2nd options you're gonna hate my answer but I think it would look something like...

PG: IT/Fultz
SG: AB/Smart/Fultz
SF: Hayward/Crowder/Smart or Brown (as needed by matchup)
PF: Crowder/Brown/Horford
C: Horford/Zizic or free agent (we don't know how ready Zizic is)

I think that'd be a hell of a team.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

4) Profit.

Well if those are your 1st and 2nd options you're gonna hate my answer but I think it would look something like...

6'5 pf ? Please no

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

4) Profit.

I absolutely hate the idea of starting a 6'6 PF whose performance declined a notch this season. And have him backed up by a 6'7 20-year-old better suited for playing SG. Not to mention that you will also be relying on a 20-year-old with 0 minutes of NBA experience to back up your C who will be on the wrong side of 30.

I was going to say that this will likely make our rebounding even worse, but I don't think it's possible to really have a material difference there.

This is a great way to lose a lot of games. That roster might have a hard time winning a series like the one against Washington, where we largely came on top because of our superior depth.

To me, if we draft Fultz, finding a functional starting-caliber PF is absolutely of higher importance than adding Hayward. I'd much rather resign Olynyk and package Bradley with some picks to get a starter. As a second option, kick the tires of someone like Zach Randolph or Taj Gibson and see whether you can get them for reasonable money.

At this stage, I think it's time to concede that you'll be drafting your next star player (rather than adding max contracts), punt on tiptoeing around the cap space, and add some functional pieces so that our front court is no longer an embarrassment.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

4) Profit.

That team is one I'm a pretty big fan of, despite obvious issues rebounding wise. I feel like we could make a solid acquisition in free agency regarding a backup big - Taj Gibson maybe? Not sure how much money he would demand.

Also in this hypothetical team where's Kelly gone?  :'(
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

4) Profit.

That team is one I'm a pretty big fan of, despite obvious issues rebounding wise. I feel like we could make a solid acquisition in free agency regarding a backup big - Taj Gibson maybe? Not sure how much money he would demand.

Can't keep him and sign Hayward. In fact, you can't offer Hayward a max even without Olynyk. We'd be 2 mil shy roughly
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Don't we have to disavow any knowledge of him in order to have the cap space for Hayward?

I absolutely hate the idea of starting a 6'6 PF whose performance declined a notch this season. And have him backed up by a 6'7 20-year-old better suited for playing SG. Not to mention that you will also be relying on a 20-year-old with 0 minutes of NBA experience to back up your C who will be on the wrong side of 30.

I was going to say that this will likely make our rebounding even worse, but I don't think it's possible to really have a material difference there.

This is a great way to lose a lot of games. That roster might have a hard time winning a series like the one against Washington, where we largely came on top because of our superior depth.

I mean..I'm kinda okay with moving Crowder for a legit big, or not, and trying to figure out something else. I'm personally a big believer in Zizic. I think he's going to be a lot more ready than your average rookie. But if we have to invest assets in another big, I'd rather it not be AB or IT. I think a 4 guard rotation of IT/AB/Fultz/Smart is absolutely deadly. Also, AB/IT seem to have a pretty great relationship and chemistry on-court, while Fultz went to school in Seattle and has known at least IT if not also AB for a while.

I hope we're not just chasing Zach Randolph or overpaying Jahmychal Green or something. I like the idea of Aminu here:

I think Aminu from Portland would be pretty ideal for our system. He's a good rebounder, versatile defender, has shown some ability to hit a shot and Portland has GOT to get off of some of their money.

If we did land Hayward, Crowder+matching money for Aminu and a pick seems like a deal that would help both sides.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Fox ROY
Fultz ring?  ;D

4) Profit.

That is what I think the plan is Although I think they might trade AB instead of Rozier.

Is that enough to win the championship though? I think it MIGHT be enough to get by Cleveland but Golden State?

We would absolutely be right in the conversation with them though...Especially with almost all of their bench being UFA after this season.

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Obviously I don't agree with him, but I think he'll be one of the best players in this draft. Kid can absolutely fly down the court, and plays both ends equally as hard. If his jumper is falling in the NBA the same way it was falling in some of his tournament games then he'll be great.

I prefer his play style/intensity/mindset to that of anyone in this draft to be honest. He shot up my draft board when he absolutely brought it to Lonzo Ball in their tournament game, Ball didn't have a chance.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Love the confidence and maybe if this were the 1980s, there would be some truth to that.  At the end of the day though, he shoots 24% from 3 and Fultz shoots 41%.  He is 6'3" and Fultz is 6'4".  He averaged 16.7 PPG / 4.0 RPG / 4.6 APG on .479 shooting and Fultz averaged 23.2 PPG / 5.7 RPG / 5.9 APG on .476 shooting.  It's a no brainer to draft Fultz and KEEP HIM. 

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Love the confidence and maybe if this were the 1980s, there would be some truth to that.  At the end of the day though, he shoots 24% from 3 and Fultz shoots 41%.  He is 6'3" and Fultz is 6'4".  He averaged 16.7 PPG / 4.0 RPG / 4.6 APG on .479 shooting and Fultz averaged 23.2 PPG / 5.7 RPG / 5.9 APG on .476 shooting.  It's a no brainer to draft Fultz and KEEP HIM.

Yes but fultz had more room to do whatever

Fox not so much...cant blame fox