Author Topic: Isaiah Hartenstein: high upside unknown unicorn  (Read 2212 times)

Isaiah Hartenstein: high upside unknown unicorn
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:56:08 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
https://youtu.be/oISk_uzqzGI

Rarely seen and very little quality footage available of the German/American but seems to be a Giannis type of prospect, high risk/high reward.

Dirk/Porzingis type of potential but very raw, DX has him going 22 to Brooklyn so looks out of range for our early second round pick...but someone to watch with intrigue.

Re: Isaiah Hartenstein: high upside unknown unicorn
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 02:02:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We could always trade assets like our lower 2 seconds with guys like Yabu for him if ainge feels like he's good enough
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:31:46 AM »

• Bill Walton
We could always trade assets like our lower 2 seconds with guys like Yabu for him if ainge feels like he's good enough

I'd happily trade Zizic for this guy but I doubt either would get us high enough in this draft, it seems much much deeper than 2016

Here is some highlights from the 2016 FIBA U18 Euro Championships, level of competition is poor but the 'unicorn intangibles' are there

https://youtu.be/N1ff3xZpiVw
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:43:01 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:42:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I'd happily trade Zizic for this guy but I doubt either would get us high enough in this draft, it seems much much deeper than 2016
You do know GMs are treating Zizic as a top 10 pick in this draft right?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:50:45 AM »

• Bill Walton

I could easily be wrong but Zizic seems like a high level role player, great rebounder, hard worker but doesn't have the variety to offer star potential, isn't a shooter, not a passer, lacks vision, slowish feet ect.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:57:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I could easily be wrong but Zizic seems like a high level role player, great rebounder, hard worker but doesn't have the variety to offer star potential, isn't a shooter, not a passer, lacks vision, slowish feet ect.
Depends on what your definition of star is. He can definitely shoot the midrange and FTs, passes ok, vision is acceptable for a big man and is reasonable in foot speed
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:53:25 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Depends on what your definition of star is. He can definitely shoot the midrange and FTs, passes ok, vision is acceptable for a big man and is reasonable in foot speed

Hartenstein's stock has dropped a lot on draft boards. While Zizic has exceeded expectations. Zizic has already developed beyond what analysts projected as his ceiling.  Also, he projected to the bottom of the first round next year on nbadraft.net, so we could likely get Hartenstein with our own pick or at worst Mickey/Young + a pair second rounders.

Even just looking at the commentary on European prospects prior to this and last year's draft Zizic is the better prospect.

European Stock Watch

Stock Down

Isaiah Hartenstein (98', 7-0, PF, Germany, Zalgiris)

The German's prospect stock took a hit after an unimpressive showing at the Nike Hoop Summit. When that dust settled, it's easy to forget that although he is far from ready for the NBA, he still has an interesting skillset and very good upside. This past month he had his ups and downs in the Lithuanian League, mainly because his playing time changes drastically from game to game. What probably concerns scouts is his incosistent shooting, which is a result of his bad shooting mechanics. But that's something he can work on.

Top 10 International Prospects

5. Ante Zizic (1997, 6-11, C, Croatia, Cibona)

With the exception of Buddy Hield, it’s difficult to find a player in this year’s draft who managed to make a bigger leap on the draft board than Ante Zizic. The Croatian center was a beast this season, posting one double-double after another, becoming one of the most dominant Bigs in Adriatic League. Zizic has great length (7-3 wingspan), he is a relentless rebounder on both ends of the floor and he might be the best rebounder of his generation in Europe. But rebounding is just one aspect of his game. He loves playing in the post, he enjoys contact and his shooting mechanics suggest that he can even be a threat from the perimeter at some point. What can probably hurt his stock is that he is not very athletic, he has problems defending the Pick and Roll due to his limited lateral quickness and there is concern that he doesn’t have the upside of other International players.

Zizic's play this season was even better.  He put up good to great numbers in the top Euro league.  There was a lot of really encouraging things said about him, but the most encouraging thing is that not one analyst disagreed with the assertion that her is NBA ready right now. 

When he was destroying the Adriatic league some people wrote it off as weak competition.  When he changed teams and kept up his play, it became clear he is NBA ready.  He may never be a super star but if he becomes a Gortot that is more that acceptable for the 23rd pick.  We'll get a top lottery pick this year and next.  What we need from our big man is to be a beast on the boards and give us a post game. 

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
22 Isaiah Hartenstein PF/C Nets Isaiah Hartenstein nba mock draft Zalgiris International Age: 19.0 Height: 7'0" Wingspan: 7'2 ¼" Weight: 225 1.0 Points 0.8 Rebounds 0.2 Assists 3.4 PER 23 T.J. Leaf PF - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/ ©DraftExpress

Wow, are we talking about a guy that is averaging 1 point and LESS than 1 freaking rebound??????????????

Smitty77