Poll

What draft position will you be satisfied with?

Only Pick 1
14 (25.5%)
Top 2 Pick
15 (27.3%)
Top 3 Pick
4 (7.3%)
I'll be Satisfied Regardless with a Top 4 Pick
22 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: What draft position will you be satisfied with?  (Read 10311 times)

Re: What draft position will you be satisfied with?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I would say Fultz is in a tier by himself because his floor is so high. After that, the 2nd overall pick would be nice because they'd have their choice of whomever remains. However, I would not be devastated between a difference of 2-4 because I don't think there is a humongous disparity in terms of potential between the top 5: Ball, Fox, Tatum, and Jackson.

I could be convinced with the argument that Ball has the basketball IQ and intangibles that a star needs to have, along with great size for his position. It's just that his dad's politicking and the fact that we already have Thomas (and Smart, and Rozier) kind of give me pause. I suppose in the end they still have to take the BPA though.

There's also the possibility that Ball could play both guard positions at least temporarily, something that D'Aaron Fox cannot do. So there's an argument for still getting the 2nd pick and not having your fate determined by teams ahead of you.

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am going to provide everyone with a Trumpian-type spin so that even if we get #4, it is still a win for us.

The starting salary for #1 is $5.85M, for #4, $4.24M ($1.61M savings).  Fultz may be the best player but who really knows.  Jackson or Tatum could be gotten at #4 and end up being the best player from the draft.  No one has any idea when drafting 18-19 year old kids to play in the NBA.  We are probably better off with #4, right CoachBo?  Since Danny can't draft anyway, we might as well let the other GMs swing and miss and we can just grab whoever is left at #4 and save $1.6M.

Truthfully, having #1 will be way more fun but I am really not that worried about it as I don't believe anyone can know for sure who is the best in this draft.  #1 does have more tangible trade value though but I have a feeling we won't be trading it or the player we draft, at least not right away.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would be ok with the #2 pick if the Lakers (I know) or the Suns got the #1 pick - there is a good chance we could still get Fultz.

Even if Fultz went #1, we might could trade down from #2 to #3 or #4 and get something good out of the deal. Assume LAL had #1, we got #2, and Phoenix got #4. Fultz goes #1 and Phoenix really wants to move up for Ball. Not a terrible position to be in.

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I would be ok with the #2 pick if the Lakers (I know) or the Suns got the #1 pick - there is a good chance we could still get Fultz.

Even if Fultz went #1, we might could trade down from #2 to #3 or #4 and get something good out of the deal. Assume LAL had #1, we got #2, and Phoenix got #4. Fultz goes #1 and Phoenix really wants to move up for Ball. Not a terrible position to be in.

Why would the suns take Ball over Lonzo?

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Anywhere in the top-3 I'll be thrilled, but I'll live with #4.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
well, things may be more interesting than we have thought.

fox is rising on the draft boards: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...sing-past-lonzo-ball-on-2017-nba-draft-boards

i admit, i would take fox before taking ball.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 12:22:01 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I'm really not happy with the way that the NBA conducts the draft lottery. I think it should be more like Color War at camp: You never know when it's coming. It should be totally random. One moment you're just sitting there, and then you get "breaking news" on ESPN or something.

Mike

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I'll be very happy with a top 4 pick. I think after the number one pick it's pretty even until the 5th or 6th pick. I'm not sure that all of the top 5 picks will be stars but only time will tell. I think barring injury the whole lottery this year is full of NBA starters.

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

fox is rising on the draft boards: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...sing-past-lonzo-ball-on-2017-nba-draft-boards

Fox does look John Wall like. I doubt he'll be that good but he has some of the same tools and is a two way player.

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Why would the suns take Ball over Lonzo?

Because Lavar>Jordan therefore Lavar>Lonzo. Hence Ball>Lonzo

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Fox does look John Wall like. I doubt he'll be that good but he has some of the same tools and is a two way player.

Similar but fox has a shorter wingspan. Also wall has an extra gear on the open floor

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Similar but fox has a shorter wingspan. Also wall has an extra gear on the open floor
Fox should be better defensively.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Top 4.  8)

Higher's better of course. But this is all found money.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:21:59 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I am going to provide everyone with a Trumpian-type spin so that even if we get #4, it is still a win for us.

The starting salary for #1 is $5.85M, for #4, $4.24M ($1.61M savings).  Fultz may be the best player but who really knows.  Jackson or Tatum could be gotten at #4 and end up being the best player from the draft.  No one has any idea when drafting 18-19 year old kids to play in the NBA.  We are probably better off with #4, right CoachBo?  Since Danny can't draft anyway, we might as well let the other GMs swing and miss and we can just grab whoever is left at #4 and save $1.6M.

Truthfully, having #1 will be way more fun but I am really not that worried about it as I don't believe anyone can know for sure who is the best in this draft.  #1 does have more tangible trade value though but I have a feeling we won't be trading it or the player we draft, at least not right away.

No matter where we end up picking we're sure to get "something terrific."

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2017, 08:39:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fox reminds me more of iverson