Author Topic: Kevin O'Connor's (The Ringer) 2017 Draft Guide  (Read 3679 times)

Kevin O'Connor's (The Ringer) 2017 Draft Guide
« on: May 15, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://nbadraft.theringer.com

Great stuff, as always!

Re: Kevin O'Connor's (The Ringer) 2017 Draft Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kevin is the best. His level of analysis far exceeds that of the other draft sites. Thanks for posting, Eddie. TP.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Agreed on Kevin, he does his homework and presents it well. In addition? He is one of our own!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Wow not only was the analysis great, but the presentation was also very visually appealing.   :laugh:

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This thing is amazing!

Way to go!!

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
When you scroll down you see even more analysis (see example below) and shot charts

PLUSES
Controls speed of the game as a playmaker in transition.
Great first step, but can slow it down when needed. Gets where he wants using hesitations, Euro-steps, and crossovers.

Pick-and-roll maestro for his age, and NBA spacing will only enhance his abilities.
Excellent passing vision and sees plays develop early. Puts zip on the ball. Likes to use bounce passes.

Great body control, handles contact well, and finishes with both hands at the rim.

Good shooter off the dribble. Pulls up on a dime. Has height and lift to shoot over guards. Will need to use more stepback jumpers.
Competitive, instinctual rebounder. Uses his length to outrebound bigs.
Great defensive upside due to long arms and wide frame.

MINUSES
Needs to extend his shooting range and usually used a slow “one-two step” off the catch in college.

Settles for too many midrange jumpers and floaters rather than attacking the rim.

Lackadaisical defender who falls into an upright stance and doesn’t always fight hard through screens. He’s capable of locking down when he’s engaged.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Can't imagine Monk going at #4, seems several spots too high. Too much of a chucker with few other redeeming qualities.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Can't imagine Monk going at #4, seems several spots too high. Too much of a chucker with few other redeeming qualities.

Wow, Jayson Tatum doesn't come out of that profile looking good.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12

Wow, Jayson Tatum doesn't come out of that profile looking good.

Mike
I'd have to agree with him for the most part.

- He's not a great defender yet

- He doesn't play with the same tenacity and passion as guys like Fox and Jackson (for better or worse, Jackson needs to rein it in a bit at times)

- Just a scorer on offense, lacks court vision as a passer.

- He lacks elite athleticism seen in nearly every All-Star SF in the league

- His jumper is very mechanical and stiff looking. Although he is a great FT shooter and his shooting numbers weren't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I expect him to develop NBA three point range. So I'd partially disagree with him here, not a big concern compared to other prospects like Ball and Jackson.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I agree.  Saw a lot of Monk and didn't see much improvement over the year.  Don't see how he can have "the tools to grow into a PG" while his minuses include poor decision making, average passer and needs to tighten his ball handling.  He's an SG in a PG body.  To top it off, he's a below average defender.  That being said I could see the Sixers taking him since Simmons will be running their offense and the need shooting. 

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I agree.  Saw a lot of Monk and didn't see much improvement over the year.  Don't see how he can have "the tools to grow into a PG" while his minuses include poor decision making, average passer and needs to tighten his ball handling.  He's an SG in a PG body.  To top it off, he's a below average defender.  That being said I could see the Sixers taking him since Simmons will be running their offense and the need shooting.
He is the offensive version of Avery Bradley.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 06:21:14 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I dont get Monk at 4.

For me 1-4 is clear.

Then Fox and Isaac are 5 and 6.

Markannen, Monk, and the rest all seem to be very good prospects, who just arent on the level of the 6 I listed above.