Author Topic: Would you trade down in the draft? At what position and to where?  (Read 8344 times)

Re: Would you trade down in the draft? At what position and to where?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 02:34:03 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No because this isn't the nfl draft. The NBA draft is very top heavy. Even in a deep draft,  After pick 10 it's roulette and chance as to who is good and who isn't.

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 03:08:56 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
That argument came up before. I guess I don't understand it because we see good players taken outside the top picks all the time. If you trust your scouting and think a particular player is vastly undervalued, trading down would be smart.

The claim that players picked earlier have a better shot at being a star is true, but we are not throwing a dart at the dartboard or making the pick blindfolded. There is something called scouting that is supposed to accurately determine which players are overrated and which aren't.

I know that trading down is more difficult to pull off in the NBA so I'm not proposing it as a realistic idea (also I started this thread before the Celtics won the 1st overall pick). I just think that this may be a draft where there isn't a huge difference in talent between the 3-4 spots and 8-10. If you look at history, this isn't actually the controversial statement that people have made it out to be.

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
wrong thread