Author Topic: Would you trade down in the draft? At what position and to where?  (Read 8350 times)

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It seems most people are pretty happy about what players would be available at the 2-3-4 slots. My question is whether anyone thinks we should trade down if we end up at one of the positions other than #1 overall (of course you are free to argue we trade down from #1 as well if that is your opinion)? The 2nd part of the question is where you would want to move down to and to draft whom?

I have to admit to being really intrigued by Zach Collins. I'm not opposed to drafting Tatum or Jackson (the players most mocks say will go 3-4) but I really think Collins could be just as good a pick, if not better. Who knows, maybe he'll rise to the point where taking him at 3-4 isn't so crazy.

Another minor consideration is that someone drafted 3rd or 4th would make more than someone drafted 8-9th. That few million dollars savings might make a difference somewhere.

I guess another way of putting this question is, how do the lottery players break down into tiers? Is Jackson or Tatum closer to the Ball/Fultz tier? Or are they closer to the tier below, in which case moving down might be smart?

Re: Would you trade down in the draft? At what position and to where?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:45:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Only place Id trade down would be within 2-4.

If we get 2 or 3, I could live with a trade to 3 or 4. Other than that, keep the pick.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:58:57 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I'm not an expert on college basketball, but from my perspective Ball, Tatum, and Jackson are all significantly flawed prospects, even though they offer high upside. The Celtics should consider trading down into the 5-10 range if they can't get Fultz. You could use whatever asset or assets you pick up to acquire a stud via trade, or someone to pair with Horford in the front court.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
We need to take the BPA or use the pick in a trade for a star.  The only trade down I'd do would be with the Lakers from 2 to 3 if they are desperate to get Ball. 

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Never trading down if we get the 1st pick, Fultz is way too good.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
We need to combine assets to acquire a star not break down one of these top assets into smaller pieces.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Exactly... The team needs quality now...

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Thing about trading down is, that you need to get an asset back. Best way to do this is to look at a team who would consider combining their pick (like Minny, Orlando, Sac) with vet(s) (Shabazz, Gorgui, Gordon, Vucevic, WCS, McLemore). Then think, well, does that position us better to win next year? In the examples I give, probably not really.

I just can't see anyone in the top 10 who has a realistic chance of being a traded, that we would actually want. If Collins looks nice, you just trade for him in the regular way. So like Collins for a future first (not next year), a second round pick and Rozier,and Yabu. Sac may jump at that deal with their pick around 8, 9. Rozier is kinda on fire at the moment..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
We need to take the BPA or use the pick in a trade for a star.  The only trade down I'd do would be with the Lakers from 2 to 3 if they are desperate to get Ball.

Right, but what I'm saying is the BPA might be available later in the draft.

Also, I think taking the BPA approach to an extreme can sometimes be a little silly. If LeBron James is there then of course you take him even if you already have 5 all-star forwards on the roster, because James is a once in a generation player.

Besides Fultz, it's not clear these guys are even "regular all-star"-level prospects. It might not be a huge difference in ability between the 2-4, or even 2-8 slots, in which case drafting someone for need might be the best move.

Looking a little more at it, I think I'm coming around on D'Aaron Fox a little. His athleticism is off the charts and he took it to Ball in college. I think he belongs in the tier below Fultz even though he can't shoot.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I wouldn't trade the #1 pick for anything.
Fultz is our best shot at a franchise caliber/generational talent.

Any other pick I would rather trade for Paul George or Jimmy Butler, or swing some way to get both.

If that isn't possible, then I'd trust Danny's judgement and he'll make the correct move.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wouldn't trade the #1 pick for anything.
Fultz is our best shot at a franchise caliber/generational talent.

Your in for a huge disappointment if you keep thinking Celts are locked to draft Fultz...its not a lock

The op is stating if celts pick 3-4...trade down?

Its a valid question
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:58:40 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It seems most people are pretty happy about what players would be available at the 2-3-4 slots. My question is whether anyone thinks we should trade down if we end up at one of the positions other than #1 overall (of course you are free to argue we trade down from #1 as well if that is your opinion)? The 2nd part of the question is where you would want to move down to and to draft whom?

I have to admit to being really intrigued by Zach Collins. I'm not opposed to drafting Tatum or Jackson (the players most mocks say will go 3-4) but I really think Collins could be just as good a pick, if not better. Who knows, maybe he'll rise to the point where taking him at 3-4 isn't so crazy.

Another minor consideration is that someone drafted 3rd or 4th would make more than someone drafted 8-9th. That few million dollars savings might make a difference somewhere.

I guess another way of putting this question is, how do the lottery players break down into tiers? Is Jackson or Tatum closer to the Ball/Fultz tier? Or are they closer to the tier below, in which case moving down might be smart?

If celts draft 3,4 and Danny doesnt love whoever is available ....trade down

There are lots of likeable prospects

Trading number 4 for 8 and 10 (kings picks) in some ways makes sense

I also like Zach Collins and with the other pick you can go the safe route and pick Justin Jackson, Monk....maybe reach for another Rozier ... Danny will know

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Either pick the best player available or use it in a package for an existing star.   

This team needs to find a star level player.  Depth is not an issue. 

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Draft the best player at the spot we end up in.  If the "best" player ends up being picked later in the lottery, no team is going to be certain of that before they ever play in the league. 

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I don't see the Cs trading down in the draft except in two circumstances.

1. If they get #4, I could see them moving down to get WCS and #8. I don't think that's likely but that's about the only scenario where I see them moving down. 

2. If they get #2 and Philly gets #3 or #4, I could see a swap where Philly takes Ball and the Cs move down (and no, I don't know what balances that trade out).

But those are the only two circumstances where I could see the Cs trading down. Otherwise there's little reason to do so. Roster spots are already at a premium and with Yabu and Zizic moving in there's two more locked up. With their own picks plus quite a few other 1st rounders by other teams in the next 3 years and a bunch of 2nds there's really no reason to acquire more picks.

It's more likely that if there's a deal made, Chambers was right (TP to you) - it's a deal to move OUT of the draft and acquire some talent to win now.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.