Author Topic: James Comey fired  (Read 8052 times)

Re: James Comey fired
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 380
It's amazing to me to see so many here believing the MSM talking points on Russia, do some digging on Democrats admitting there IS NO EVIDENCE tying Trump to Russia, start with Clapper and Comey himself telling Trump 3 times that there was no investigation into the Trump connection being done by the FBI, 9 months they've been pushing this narrative and there is NOTHING there,  it's a talking point to rally the troops and fund raise, that's about it , Comey has disgraced the FBI by NOT bringing charges against Hillary, there should only be a 1 tiered Justice system in this Country not 2 for those like Hillary who think they are above the law(Repub's too), if they put someone in place that will do his job to the letter of the Law, Hillary WILL go to jail, where she belongs. Why don't the MSM do a little digging on Hillary on about the 20% of all our Plutonium she sold off to the Russians, NOW there's a real story the Dem's and the MSM won't touch.    p.s. I'm an Independent voter, just in case you were wondering.
you are literally just taking trump at his word

It seems more like he's just not buying into the butthurt hysteria of a lot of people who were so wrong about the election that they are undergoing an existential crisis.

1.  There's been little to no evidence presented to support the allegations about Russia and the 2016 election.

2.  Even if Russia actually did the stuff they're being accused of, THEY DID NOT NEED TO COLLUDE/COOPERATE/COORDINATE WITH TRUMP OR HIS CAMPAIGN TO DO ANY OF IT.

3.  Why would the Russians have even wanted to collude with Trump, WHO EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WAS 10000000% SURE WAS GOING TO LOSE THE ELECTION?  If you're going to tell me the Russians knew Trump was going to win, I'm going to tell  you we need to make friends with them immediately because the Russians are the smartest people in the world.

Has Trump lied about having past business dealings with Russia?  Could those supposed dealings have left him more favorably disposed toward Russia than an American President should be?  Those are not at all unreasonable concerns.

This childish nonsense about Trump being some sort of Manchurian Candidate installed by Russian interference in the 2016 election is turning into something even worse than birtherism, because at least that only winked at by most mainstream Republicans as opposed to what we're seeing from Democrats and the media now.

Mike

Mannafort, Flynn, Page, Stone
Where there is smoke...
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/us/politics/senate-russia-trump-associates.html

Exactly. And I don't think the Russians wanted Trump in office as a Manchurian Candidate, I think they wanted him in office to lower America's standing in the world and help them gain power. And clearly, at least the first part is working, as Trump is taking the Office of the Presidency to new lows daily.

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 93
Why would the Russians have even wanted to collude with Trump, WHO EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WAS 10000000% SURE WAS GOING TO LOSE THE ELECTION?  If you're going to tell me the Russians knew Trump was going to win, I'm going to tell  you we need to make friends with them immediately because the Russians are the smartest people in the world.
I don't think Russia cared if he won. Just getting Trump nominated forced the party that is typically more anti-Russia (the Republicans) to back a guy who wasn't anti-Russia. And as long as Trump made it close and made Hillary look bad, that helps undermine Hillary's foreign policy agenda and her credibility. Actually getting him in power was a bonus that even Putin probably didn't ever expect to happen.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1121
Why would the Russians have even wanted to collude with Trump, WHO EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WAS 10000000% SURE WAS GOING TO LOSE THE ELECTION?  If you're going to tell me the Russians knew Trump was going to win, I'm going to tell  you we need to make friends with them immediately because the Russians are the smartest people in the world.
I don't think Russia cared if he won. Just getting Trump nominated forced the party that is typically more anti-Russia (the Republicans) to back a guy who wasn't anti-Russia. And as long as Trump made it close and made Hillary look bad, that helps undermine Hillary's foreign policy agenda and her credibility. Actually getting him in power was a bonus that even Putin probably didn't ever expect to happen.
I'm pretty sure they (a) thought he could win, and (b) cared quite a bit that he did. I'm also convinced they were looking to use the chaos that would inevitably ensue to reestablish themselves as a relevant international actor. Much harder to do this with a seasoned, hawkish Clinton administration committed to maintaining sanctions.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28020
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Ironically, Hillary wanted Trump to win the nomination, too. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2017, 04:20:31 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 695
I'm pretty sure they (a) thought he could win, and (b) cared quite a bit that he did. I'm also convinced they were looking to use the chaos that would inevitably ensue to reestablish themselves as a relevant international actor. Much harder to do this with a seasoned, hawkish Clinton administration committed to maintaining sanctions.

Russia is backing hard right movements all over the world, and it is clear why. Hard right policies weaken stable nations. It increases wealth gaps and allows foreign and domestic oligarchs to profit and consolidate power; it decreases labor protections and allows more exploitation and more exploitable trade. It increases fear and instability, allowing consolidation of power and tolerance of militarization and decreases social mobility. In Trump's case, from Russia's perspective, you get all that plus the leader is incompetent. Win win.

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1151

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Russia is backing hard right movements all over the world, and it is clear why. Hard right policies weaken stable nations. It increases wealth gaps and allows foreign and domestic oligarchs to profit and consolidate power; it decreases labor protections and allows more exploitation and more exploitable trade. It increases fear and instability, allowing consolidation of power and tolerance of militarization and decreases social mobility. In Trump's case, from Russia's perspective, you get all that plus the leader is incompetent. Win win.
I think what he's backing are candidates who pursue nativism. Important countries like the US and France receding from the global conversation can only help Russia especially if you're adding a healthy dose of ridiculous infighting for those countries.

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
Comey's prepared remarks didn't include much of anything that hadn't already been reported:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-wanted-loyalty-halt-flynn-probe-10-takeaways-comeys-prepared-testimony-190857713.html

I guess the biggest takeaway is that to date, Trump himself isn't being investigated for impropriety, but it was at least possible / foreseeable  that he might be in the future.

We'll see if anything else comes out during questioning.

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Comey's prepared remarks didn't include much of anything that hadn't already been reported:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-wanted-loyalty-halt-flynn-probe-10-takeaways-comeys-prepared-testimony-190857713.html

I guess the biggest takeaway is that to date, Trump himself isn't being investigated for impropriety, but it was at least possible / foreseeable  that he might be in the future.

I was pretty amazed how accurate the reported information is to what Comey said. I know there were attempts at saying that the reports were fake news but reading his statement, they quoted him pretty well.

On another note moving away from politics, anybody else interested in the espionage aspect of this whole thing? There was a section on how they handle foreign agents that I thoughtit was interesting. Something along the words that they either flip them so they become double agents, continue to follow them, find other contacts and infiltrate them or arrest them. Seems like they only arrest if they are no use to them. Interesting stuff
Baby Jesus!

The James Comey Hearing Thread
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2017, 06:00:18 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 651
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm just making this for everyone ahead of today's testimony.  The ratings are gonna be YUGE. *grabs popcorn* #ComeyDontPlayThat

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2017, 06:47:31 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1121

The biggest takeaway here is that everyone that's been reported is now on the record, so you can no longer call it "fake news". It's one thing to see it in a Washington Post article, and completely different when it is delivered under oath before Congress.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown

The biggest takeaway here is that everyone that's been reported is now on the record, so you can no longer call it "fake news". It's one thing to see it in a Washington Post article, and completely different when it is delivered under oath before Congress.

You underestimate Trump and Breitbart. It will still be fake news.

But, truthfully, there's no true smoking gun here. Maybe something will come out, but there's nothing that's going to lead to impeachment. Slimy, unbecoming, politics as usual, perhaps, but probably not proveably illegal or impeachable.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:28:40 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 904
At the end of the day, won't it be Comey's word against Trump's.   I know the majority of us would side with Comey about that.   But I fear this is much ado about nothing and will be little more than a partisan exercise for both sides.  Perhaps Comey taped him and that could change the narrative...

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 34
At the end of the day, won't it be Comey's word against Trump's.   I know the majority of us would side with Comey about that.   But I fear this is much ado about nothing and will be little more than a partisan exercise for both sides.  Perhaps Comey taped him and that could change the narrative...

it will be completely partisian. Mostly all Democrats will say - "There's the smoking gun" and the Republicans will say - "Nothing to see here move on. Trump's management was misconstrued by Comey."
What's sickening is that some Republicans and Trump supporters will continue to deny, deny and deny.

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 348

Maybe.

The sad thing about all of this is that because of Trump's selfishness, vindictiveness, and pettiness, we are now less likely to get (a) tax reform, (b) infrastructure spending plan, (c) health care reform.

Frankly, the way Trump was going about some of these, I'm not *too* sad. But I was holding out hope on (a) and (b)...

If you had told me the night Trump was elected that, 100+ days in, Trump would have accomplished nothing, I would have been disappointed.
Celtics fan for life.