Author Topic: James Comey fired  (Read 8053 times)

Re: James Comey fired
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2017, 09:56:26 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Let's not forget to add that Trump's supposed reasoning for firing Comey was because Jeff Sessions recommended it. The same Jeff Sessions who promised to recuse himself from anything to do with the Russian investigation (because he lied under oath during his confirmation hearing and was still confirmed but sure) which I guess doesn't count pushing to have the man leading that investigation fired.

Also, Comey had asked for more resources for investigating Russia days before he was fired by the man he was investigating.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-comey-replacement-idUSKBN1861HK

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2316
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Let's not forget to add that Trump's supposed reasoning for firing Comey was because Jeff Sessions recommended it. The same Jeff Sessions who promised to recuse himself from anything to do with the Russian investigation (because he lied under oath during his confirmation hearing and was still confirmed but sure) which I guess doesn't count pushing to have the man leading that investigation fired.

The WH initially claimed it was mainly due to the recommendation of Deputy AG Rosenstein, who wrote a letter basically attacking Comey's treatment of the Clinton email case but never explicitly calling for him to be fired.

That story changed very quickly to it being solely Trump's decision, possibly because Rosenstein reportedly threatened to resign, because Trump had already made the decision.

This is a really good read on the Comey aftermath. Something like a dozen reporters worked on it with over 30 sources (!).

Spoiler: Trump fired Comey for not squelching the Russia investigation and not supporting him on his insane "Obama wiretapp" claims. And as you'd expect appears to be lying with his completely not-suspicious "you told me 3 times I'm not being investigated!" insertion.

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

The WH initially claimed it was mainly due to the recommendation of Deputy AG Rosenstein, who wrote a letter basically attacking Comey's treatment of the Clinton email case but never explicitly calling for him to be fired.

That story changed very quickly to it being solely Trump's decision, possibly because Rosenstein reportedly threatened to resign, because Trump had already made the decision.

This is a really good read on the Comey aftermath. Something like a dozen reporters worked on it with over 30 sources (!).

Spoiler: Trump fired Comey for not squelching the Russia investigation and not supporting him on his insane "Obama wiretapp" claims. And as you'd expect appears to be lying with his completely not-suspicious "you told me 3 times I'm not being investigated!" insertion.
Yes to all of this. But Sessions did also write a letter to Trump pushing for Comey's firing.

The 2nd document here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/09/us/politics/document-White-House-Fires-James-Comey.html?_r=0

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1121

Yes to all of this. But Sessions did also write a letter to Trump pushing for Comey's firing.

The 2nd document here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/09/us/politics/document-White-House-Fires-James-Comey.html?_r=0
The WaPo article does say that both Sessions and Rosenstein have been asked to come up with justification after the fact.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28020
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I hate to convict somebody based on nothing but conjecture, but seriously, is there any other answer than that:

A) Trump's administration did something shady regarding Russia; and/or

B) Trump is too stupid to know how bad this looks; and/or

C) Trump is too narcissistic to care how bad this looks?

While I get a small chuckle out of all the Dems now defending Comey (a man most thought was corrupt or incompetent), the principle here isn't all that funny. We have a highly political DOJ and court system already. Using the FBI for nakedly political purposes is bad for everyone.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 348
I hate to convict somebody based on nothing but conjecture, but seriously, is there any other answer than that:

While I get a small chuckle out of all the Dems now defending Comey (a man most thought was corrupt or incompetent), the principle here isn't all that funny. We have a highly political DOJ and court system already. Using the FBI for nakedly political purposes is bad for everyone.

TP. I think this is well stated.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 41

Add to this the chilling effect this has on employees at FBI and other agencies.

The clear message is if in the course of diligently doing your job you do something that displeases Trump, you do so at your own peril.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2278
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

That was one of the funnier parts of the stories being reported. Like, did Trump think nobody else would see the letter? Why in the world would you insert that if your gameplan was ultimately, "Blame it on the Democrats and Hillary, this has nothing to do with the Russia thing that is all made up"?

Maybe someone could superimpose some other speculative motive, but my speculative motive would be a little, "I told you once James, do not (mess) with me. This is what I do to people who mess with me".

What I hope happens here is that Comey goes full self-righteous and tediously explains just how real the Russia investigation really is. Hopefully while attempting to maintain moral superiority over what was obviously a mistake filled tenure.

I'm having mixed feelings regarding my congressperson. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) voted for the Wealthcare bill, but she has at times shown a spine in standing up to Trump. She has demanded his tax returns, she states she's committed to the Russia investigation, and today she questioned his firing of Comey. From some of the people in politics I know, she's 'heavily managed' by the big wigs in the NY Republican party but don't be surprised if she steps forward as some kind of Bizzaro-World Kirsten Gillibrand.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 272
I don't know what direct involvement Trump has in the Russian hacking.  No one does at this point.  Whether Trump had anything to do with it or not, the Russian hacking should be investigated.  We still need to know as best we can how this all went down and who was involved even if Trump wasn't involved at all as he claims.  We need to know this to punish any who were involved and to help prevent it from happening again.  I am suspicious of the motives of anyone who is suggesting this does not need to be fully investigated.  It does not have anything to do with whether or not there is any publicly available evidence linking Trump directly to it.

I am not a lawyer but I feel Trump's actions amount to obstruction of justice.  His tweets about Sally Yates prior to her testimony were clearly threatening and intended to influence her testimony (aka witness tampering).  Trump has tweeted, spoken, and now taken several actions (firing Yates, Comey, and who know what behind the scenes) to resist or hinder the investigation into the Russian hacking.  The White House has refused to provide information to the congressional investigating committees.  I am not sure why he would flirt with obstruction of justice if he had nothing to do with the Russians but he may be getting himself in as much trouble with these actions than if he is directly involved or in the know.

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline jackpercussion

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 7
It really does not matter if the Russians influenced the election.  The United States influences elections all the time.  Besides, the United States won't do anything about it anyway other than say "please....pretty please.... don't do that anymore".  It's the RUSSIANS.  I'm surprised they have been this calm thus far.  If I were the Russians I would say to drop the matter immediately; or you will find nuclear subs off the east coast within days.  How is that for a response accusing us of hacking your election.

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 272
It really does not matter if the Russians influenced the election.  The United States influences elections all the time.  Besides, the United States won't do anything about it anyway other than say "please....pretty please.... don't do that anymore".  It's the RUSSIANS.  I'm surprised they have been this calm thus far.  If I were the Russians I would say to drop the matter immediately; or you will find nuclear subs off the east coast within days.  How is that for a response accusing us of hacking your election.

Wow.  Does it matter to you if some Americans were involved (wittingly or otherwise)?  What exactly does matter if not this?

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2017, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2316
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The WaPo article does say that both Sessions and Rosenstein have been asked to come up with justification after the fact.

They were, the "official" story in Trump's letter and repeated by the Press Sec, various surrogates and Pence yesterday was that the letters were the reason for his firing. Some like Pence emphasized the Deputy's letter because it was a more thorough policy argument.

And...funny story, after a flood of anonymous sources contradicting that story, today it was refuted by - Trump, who said in an interview with Lester Holt that he was gonna fire him regardless of the recommendation. Meaning the official WH story was bogus AND Trump just left half his administration and a bunch of other Republicans out to dry for defending it.

The other big excerpt is that Trump is defending his claim Comey directly told him 3 times he wasn't personally being investigated. If this is true (who knows), that's a sitting POTUS discussing an active investigation of his associates with the FBI director, on 3 separate occasions no less. That's far, far worse than the Bill Clinton-Loretta Lynch tarmac meeting that deservedly caught a ton of flak.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:45:01 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8704

I don't think Dems (at least not here) are defending Comey but rather pointing out that firing him now is highly questionable and reeks of covering up or obstructing the Russian-link investigation.

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

While I blame Comey for the election outcome, I do not think corruption was part of it. I think he was being political in a different way many assume. I think he assumed that Clinton was going to win and did want anyone to think he helped facilitate the outcome though a coverup. Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened when Trump won because he kept quite about the mounting Russia case while he was busy tainting the news with Weiner's computer nonsense.

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

I don't think Dems (at least not here) are defending Comey but rather pointing out that firing him now is highly questionable and reeks of covering up or obstructing the Russian-link investigation.
Yes.

And the real "chuckle" is that Repubs (and Trump himself) liked Comey up until Comey started investigating Trump.

Trump loved him up until the Flynn story broke, then he abruptly changed his tune, trying to scapegoat him for leaks, for Hillary, for supposed internal FBI dysfunction, and everything else under the sun that might possibly distract the media and public from the fact that something ugly is going on here, something that might eventually bring the administration down.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/here-s-timeline-trump-s-statements-comey-n757416