Author Topic: James Comey fired  (Read 8051 times)

Re: James Comey fired
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 380
I hope conservatives are enjoying the last time they'll have power for a very long time, because only a fool would be oblivious to the fact that Trump is going to run the entire Party and brand into the ground.

I don't think that's really true.  Look at Nixon's resignation. The Republicans held the White House for 16 of the next 20 years.

Look at those members of Congress that have been forced out of Congress due to scandal and corruption. In almost all instances, the political parties themselves haven't suffered.

As amateurish as Trump has been, 40% of voters still support him. That's hardly a death knell for Republicans, and they'll never run a worse nominee.
sadly this is truer than it should be.  Trump could make good on his comment about shooting someone in the streets of NY and not taking a hit in popularity thanks to his core voting block that doesn't give a rat's ass about the rest of the country/world and will support him no matter what.

But all of you (including some others on this thread) aren't taking into account the shifting demographics of America.

The demographic delusion is one of the things that got Trump elected in the first place.  Democrats and liberals can't just sit back and expect sometehing to deliver them to power.  They need to run good candidates who have compelling answers to the problems facing the country today.

Republicans led the country into a pointless war and set off a massive foreign policy fiasco we will be dealing with for decades, presided over the start of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, nearly blew another hole in the global economy by voting to not raise the debt ceiling AND are on the wrong side of one social issue after another.

Republicans also currently hold the White House, the Senate, the House, a majority of governorships and a majority of state legislatures.

Democrats need to start thinking HARD about how both of those things can be possible and give up this adolescent fantasy that they're perfect and they just need the rest of the world to catch up to them.

Mike

Well, a lot of that is a gerrymandered system. Democrats won the popular vote in the election and often get more votes for House Reps (by state, not district).

But I don't disagree with the notion they need better candidates, but the demographics are going to help both statistically and due to Trump's outrageous bigotry. Conservatives have always had a bigoted part of the Party (just how large that is i won't get into right now). But never before has the face of the Party been as brash about it. They could rationalize accusations of bigotry before. You can't rationalize away Trump and everyone in the Party who has supported him.

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
It's amazing to me to see so many here believing the MSM talking points on Russia, do some digging on Democrats admitting there IS NO EVIDENCE tying Trump to Russia, start with Clapper and Comey himself telling Trump 3 times that there was no investigation into the Trump connection being done by the FBI, 9 months they've been pushing this narrative and there is NOTHING there,  it's a talking point to rally the troops and fund raise, that's about it , Comey has disgraced the FBI by NOT bringing charges against Hillary, there should only be a 1 tiered Justice system in this Country not 2 for those like Hillary who think they are above the law(Repub's too), if they put someone in place that will do his job to the letter of the Law, Hillary WILL go to jail, where she belongs. Why don't the MSM do a little digging on Hillary on about the 20% of all our Plutonium she sold off to the Russians, NOW there's a real story the Dem's and the MSM won't touch.    p.s. I'm an Independent voter, just in case you were wondering.
" I'm not sure I could ever trust someone who doesn't like Reggae"  Ken Houle

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 06:43:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I hope conservatives are enjoying the last time they'll have power for a very long time, because only a fool would be oblivious to the fact that Trump is going to run the entire Party and brand into the ground.

I don't think that's really true.  Look at Nixon's resignation. The Republicans held the White House for 16 of the next 20 years.

Look at those members of Congress that have been forced out of Congress due to scandal and corruption. In almost all instances, the political parties themselves haven't suffered.

As amateurish as Trump has been, 40% of voters still support him. That's hardly a death knell for Republicans, and they'll never run a worse nominee.
sadly this is truer than it should be.  Trump could make good on his comment about shooting someone in the streets of NY and not taking a hit in popularity thanks to his core voting block that doesn't give a rat's ass about the rest of the country/world and will support him no matter what.

But all of you (including some others on this thread) aren't taking into account the shifting demographics of America.

The demographic delusion is one of the things that got Trump elected in the first place.  Democrats and liberals can't just sit back and expect sometehing to deliver them to power.  They need to run good candidates who have compelling answers to the problems facing the country today.

Republicans led the country into a pointless war and set off a massive foreign policy fiasco we will be dealing with for decades, presided over the start of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, nearly blew another hole in the global economy by voting to not raise the debt ceiling AND are on the wrong side of one social issue after another.

Republicans also currently hold the White House, the Senate, the House, a majority of governorships and a majority of state legislatures.

Democrats need to start thinking HARD about how both of those things can be possible and give up this adolescent fantasy that they're perfect and they just need the rest of the world to catch up to them.

Mike

Well, a lot of that is a gerrymandered system.

Yes, gerrymandering is a problem but Donald Trump won the overall popular vote in 49 states.  Hillary Clinton won the national popular vote by just under three million but won California by over 4 million votes.  If you remove California, Texas and one more of literally any other of the red states, Trump still wins the overall popular vote.

Mike

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2378
It's amazing to me to see so many here believing the MSM talking points on Russia, do some digging on Democrats admitting there IS NO EVIDENCE tying Trump to Russia, start with Clapper and Comey himself telling Trump 3 times that there was no investigation into the Trump connection being done by the FBI, 9 months they've been pushing this narrative and there is NOTHING there,  it's a talking point to rally the troops and fund raise, that's about it , Comey has disgraced the FBI by NOT bringing charges against Hillary, there should only be a 1 tiered Justice system in this Country not 2 for those like Hillary who think they are above the law(Repub's too), if they put someone in place that will do his job to the letter of the Law, Hillary WILL go to jail, where she belongs. Why don't the MSM do a little digging on Hillary on about the 20% of all our Plutonium she sold off to the Russians, NOW there's a real story the Dem's and the MSM won't touch.    p.s. I'm an Independent voter, just in case you were wondering.

Just like everyone was sure that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and we had to invade them immediately, right?

If there is no evidence, then let investigators do their job freely and let the investigation speak for itself. Obstructing and rushing things along and firing people doesn't support the belief that there is nothing to find.

There's something to the Russian tampering accusations, and the politicians who are ignoring it or denying it are going to look like fools or worse when evidence comes to light sooner or later.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2316
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's amazing to me to see so many here believing the MSM talking points on Russia,

There's far, far more to this than "MSM talking points". The Senate, House and FBI at minimum are investigating the connections. The former agent in charge of Russia for MI6 collected an extensive dossier on possible links. At least four other countries' intelligence services told the US during the campaign that Trump campaign members were meeting with Russian agents. The NSA director resigned due to lying about Russian connections, and is now registered as being a foreign agent during the campaign. And both a grand jury the Senate Intelligence Committee are now subpoenaing Flynn and associates for documents on their dealings with Russia.

Pretending this is all just some grand media conspiracy is wildly offbase, and sounds like the sort of thing competing media outlets with no scruples would push on their audience.

do some digging on Democrats admitting there IS NO EVIDENCE tying Trump to Russia, start with Clapper

This is a misrepresented quote. Clapper's statement was that he was not part of the FBI's counterintelligence inquiry into the Trump campaign, so he was not given any evidence by the people who were before his term ended. He didn't remotely say there was no evidence, he said he hadn't seen any because he was not involved with the investigation before his term ended.

and Comey himself telling Trump 3 times that there was no investigation into the Trump connection being done by the FBI

This appears to be solely based on Trump's claim that he bizarrely inserted into the Comey firing letter. If you're still taking Trump at his word in May 2017, then haha, I can't help you there. It also would've been wildly inappropriate for the FBI director to talk about an investigation into Trump's campaign with Trump.

Comey has disgraced the FBI by NOT bringing charges against Hillary

Comey had no power to bring charges, that belonged to the Justice Dept. He recommended no charges and extensively explained why.

there should only be a 1 tiered Justice system in this Country not 2 for those like Hillary who think they are above the law(Repub's too)

Agreed, but it's odd to say this right after handwaving away one of the biggest investigations in our country's history.

if they put someone in place that will do his job to the letter of the Law, Hillary WILL go to jail, where she belongs.

No she won't, because she's been exhaustively investigated from about every possible angle and nothing's actionable has been found. It's just that a lot of "non-MSM" media outlets have been shrieking about how obviously guilty she is for years and some people internalize that.

Why don't the MSM do a little digging on Hillary on about the 20% of all our Plutonium she sold off to the Russians, NOW there's a real story the Dem's and the MSM won't touch.   

They have, the reason it's not a story anymore is because it's nonsense. The State Dept was one of NINE departments who had to sign off on the uranium sale, and ultimately had no real power as the President made the decision anyway. Again, this is mostly a product of media figures shrieking exaggerated claims as if they were factual. Here's a good summary

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 64
It's amazing to me to see so many here believing the MSM talking points on Russia,

There's far, far more to this than "MSM talking points". The Senate, House and FBI at minimum are investigating the connections. The former agent in charge of Russia for MI6 collected an extensive dossier on possible links. At least four other countries' intelligence services told the US during the campaign that Trump campaign members were meeting with Russian agents. The NSA director resigned due to lying about Russian connections, and is now registered as being a foreign agent during the campaign. And both a grand jury the Senate Intelligence Committee are now subpoenaing Flynn and associates for documents on their dealings with Russia.

Pretending this is all just some grand media conspiracy is wildly offbase, and sounds like the sort of thing competing media outlets with no scruples would push on their audience.

do some digging on Democrats admitting there IS NO EVIDENCE tying Trump to Russia, start with Clapper

This is a misrepresented quote. Clapper's statement was that he was not part of the FBI's counterintelligence inquiry into the Trump campaign, so he was not given any evidence by the people who were before his term ended. He didn't remotely say there was no evidence, he said he hadn't seen any because he was not involved with the investigation before his term ended.

and Comey himself telling Trump 3 times that there was no investigation into the Trump connection being done by the FBI

This appears to be solely based on Trump's claim that he bizarrely inserted into the Comey firing letter. If you're still taking Trump at his word in May 2017, then haha, I can't help you there. It also would've been wildly inappropriate for the FBI director to talk about an investigation into Trump's campaign with Trump.

Comey had no power to bring charges, that belonged to the Justice Dept. He recommended no charges and extensively explained why.

there should only be a 1 tiered Justice system in this Country not 2 for those like Hillary who think they are above the law(Repub's too)

Agreed, but it's odd to say this right after handwaving away one of the biggest investigations in our country's history.

if they put someone in place that will do his job to the letter of the Law, Hillary WILL go to jail, where she belongs.

No she won't, because she's been exhaustively investigated from about every possible angle and nothing's actionable has been found. It's just that a lot of "non-MSM" media outlets have been shrieking about how obviously guilty she is for years and some people internalize that.

Why don't the MSM do a little digging on Hillary on about the 20% of all our Plutonium she sold off to the Russians, NOW there's a real story the Dem's and the MSM won't touch.   

They have, the reason it's not a story anymore is because it's nonsense. The State Dept was one of NINE departments who had to sign off on the uranium sale, and ultimately had no real power as the President made the decision anyway. Again, this is mostly a product of media figures shrieking exaggerated claims as if they were factual. Here's a good summary
Thank you for a great post and saving me from having to reply myself.  TP for saving me the time.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 08:50:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2278
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Thank you for a great post and saving me from having to reply myself.  TP for saving me the time.

Agreed

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

Mike

Yes, gerrymandering is a problem but Donald Trump won the overall popular vote in 49 states.  Hillary Clinton won the national popular vote by just under three million but won California by over 4 million votes.  If you remove California, Texas and one more of literally any other of the red states, Trump still wins the overall popular vote.

Mike

I'm not sure where you're getting your news, but that isn't even remotely true:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trump-v-clinton-what-the-popular-vote-in-each-state-shows-electoral-college/

Trump won 30 of the 20 states' popular vote, but that means nothing when some of the states that Hillary won have bigger counties than some of the states he won.

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 359
If trump was doing this to save his behind, he would have done this day 1. Comey should've been fired the day he decided to play prosecutor instead of FBI director over the Hillary love letters.

We have no evidence of Trump colluding with Russia, yet many are losing their minds over it. Hillary was found to break the law and these same people don't care because "she didn't mean to do it."

Our gov is a joke, there's no rule of law. The fact that not a single person went to jail for the IRS scandal, Hillary's server, or F&F is evidence of this. We are in the twilight of our republic because politics is now more important than the rule of law. As a people we are soft and would rather take the charity of their gov or neighbor than live without certain luxuries. Just pray things stay together long enough to live out your life.

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28020
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Mike

Mike

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trump-v-clinton-what-the-popular-vote-in-each-state-shows-electoral-college/

Trump won 30 of the 20 states' popular vote, but that means nothing when some of the states that Hillary won have bigger counties than some of the states he won.

He means that if you don't include California, Trump had a sizable lead in the other 49 states combined.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 904
One thing I found humorous is that some folks think Putin was afraid of Clinton.   He walked all over her as Secretary of State.  She was not effective .  See called his invading of Crimea Hitlersque but nothing happened.  Their Ukraine policies were ineffective as well.   Her and Pres. Obama were toothless and let the cat of the bag.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/441805/hillary-clintons-putin-russia-policy-was-disastrous

Putin has been in office for years, I wonder if he helped Pres. Obama win over her in the primaries.

Here is some evidence linking Clinton with Russia,

http://observer.com/2017/03/bill-hillary-clinton-ties-russia-billionaires-corporations/

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/446526/clinton-russia-ties-bill-hillary-sold-out-us-interests-putin-regime

There is considerable evidence that certain members of his campaign who was advising him had connections.

Both of these candidates were deeply flawed folks.   I think that when win the liberals win back the oval office that the right will return their tantrums and antics in kind.   Politics have become downright uncivil and they are only getting worse from here.   

I would almost bet money that the person Trump appoints is going to go after Clinton. 

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

Mike

Mike

He means that if you don't include California, Trump had a sizable lead in the other 49 states combined.

Ah, I understand.

It's still a meaningless stat. California would be the sixth largest economy in the world if they seceded. If anything, California has way less electoral power than they should both by population and economic contribution.

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
But why fire Comey now? The answer is simple. The day before, President Barack Obama’s former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper repeated,under oath, what he told NBC News’ Chuck Todd on Meet the Press on March 5 — that he had seen no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government. That gave the Trump administration the breathing room to dismiss Comey — which it simply did not have before.                                        Joel B. Pollak.    I repeat, UNDER OATH, no evidence, this is coming from someone who would LOVE to burn Trump.
" I'm not sure I could ever trust someone who doesn't like Reggae"  Ken Houle

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 93
Clapper said that he personally doesn't know of evidence the FBI has gathered but that it's not his job to know - it's the FBI's.

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/05/trumps-nothing-see-spin/

The investigation was going exactly the way it was supposed to go - Comey knows what the evidence the FBI is gathering is and people who aren't involved don't know. Obviously this was a problem for Trump.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8704

Agreed
well stated rebuttal, TP