Author Topic: James Comey fired  (Read 7888 times)

James Comey fired
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28034
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
This must make Democrats and Republican equally happy.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Re: James Comey fired
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »

Offline feckless

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 73
I agree Roy I cannot see anyone on either side being upset by this.

His place in history is sealed.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 248
I am actually not happy.  For all his mis-handling of the Clinton email issue, he didn't seem partisan and actually seemed like he was trying to do his job with the Russia investigation.  On the surface this smells like Trump firing the guy that is investigating him.  Maybe that isn't a correct take on it but it is hard not to come away thinking this is to road block the FBI Russia investigation.

I am shocked and not shocked at the same time.  With Jeff Sessions as the leader of the justice department nothing will really shock me.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
He deserved to be fired. Should have happened on day 1.
Hillary,Huma,Wiener,Rice etc.. will all be in trouble if the next person up does their job as they should. Lots of laws were broken, he just didn't have the berries to do his job OR they had something on him. IMO
" I'm not sure I could ever trust someone who doesn't like Reggae"  Ken Houle

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 415
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm happy, but the timing is pretty predictable.

Russia investigation going on and suddenly Comey gets fired. Nope, no correlation clearly...

Last time a similar thing happened with Nixon, we all know how that turned out.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 227
Forest from the trees, folks.

Comey made plenty of mistakes, but he's the director of the FBI investigating POTUS for collusion with Russia. He was terminated abruptly by the President after potentially damaging testimony. This is a deadly serious power grab by the Trump administration.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2305
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Trump continues to press gamely down the "Nixon, but dumber and on fast forward" lane.  Nobody should feel sorry for Comey after how badly he butchered the Clinton investigation but anyone who doesn't see the clear link toward trying to control and squelch the Russia investigation is fooling themselves.

The Times reports from WH officials that the WH and DOJ have been planning to fire Comey since last week, but there was a delay while Jeff Sessions came up with reasons to do it. Roll that one around in your mind for awhile.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • bammokja
Gone is democracy from the US. The start of fascism. A goon can remove anyone who investigates his possible wrong doing. the media rolls over. The ruling party puts party over nation.

Once the idiot-in-chief realizes he can do anything without consequences, he will. And who will stand up and oppose him?

What separates the US from a banana republic, wherein the ruler installs his family, profits off government policy, and collides with the rich to become richer? Opposition is squelched and the media marches in step.

Investigation of possible crimes by the ruler?  Off with their heads.

Basically, the legitimacy of the US as a semi-functional democratic entity is now dependent on the Democratic Party turning out voters in a mid-term election.

Christ save us all.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 173
I'm certainly not upset about Comey getting fired, but it's pretty concerning that the President can fire the person leading an investigation against him and replace him with someone who likely won't do so. Republicans need to see past party lines and start an independent investigation.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 903
Gone is democracy from the US. The start of fascism. A goon can remove anyone who investigates his possible wrong doing. the media rolls over. The ruling party puts party over nation.

I hardly think the media has been rolling over, they have been in attack mode on Trump for some time, at least most of them.   Both parties have been putting party over nation for a long time.  Compromise is a bad word and extremes are the best it should not be that way.

I think we have a long ways to go before Trump is a tyrant.   I know some of the defense peeps are at odds with him at present.   But then again, they may be the next to go.

Basically, the legitimacy of the US as a semi-functional democratic entity is now dependent on the Democratic Party turning out voters in a mid-term election.

Christ save us all.

I agree that is long odds and to be honest some of their antics do not sit well with me.  Their chanting "NA NA Goodbye"  is juvenile if not more than anything Pres. Trump does.  All the people are rallies shouting over people does not sit well with me no matter who does it.

I would worry more about what you fear if we get in a couple of wars.   Then there could be a major power grab by the administration and I am not talking war with North Korea, assuming China does not intervene.

Checks and balances, the judicial branch has been doing it's job.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Once the idiot-in-chief realizes he can do anything without consequences, he will. And who will stand up and oppose him?

What separates the US from a banana republic, wherein the ruler installs his family, profits off government policy, and collides with the rich to become richer? Opposition is squelched and the media marches in step.

Christ save us all.

Latest in a string of ugly moves by POTUS but I won't go dowm the fascism road.  I think he is less evil or ideological zealot than he is an immature, thin-skinned and impulsive man with far more power than he should have.  There are still some level heads in the administration - other than Bannon there is no Geobals in the WH. 

Dems and Independents need to unify to give congress back to the democrats in 2018.   Dems need to take a deep breath amd locate an articulate moderate who can lead the party. And someone like John Kasich should start his 2020 campaign for the republican nomination ASAP.    Democracy is alive -- in 18 months this turns around

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 740

Christ save us all.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/overreaction
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8699
surprised but not undeserved.  my take on it is this has more to do with sabotaging/damaging the Russia investigation than his questionable leadership

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 09:22:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2305
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
And another shoe drops as news breaks that grand juries had just issued subpoenas in the Flynn-Russia investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/grand-jury-fbi-russia/index.html

The other other shoe here is that people in the intelligence community are going to start leaking details like crazy to get ahead of the inevitable attempt to bury this.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 93
The most obvious reason for Trump to do this is to appoint an FBI director who won't investigate him seriously.

I would guess Republicans in congress have already made it clear to Trump what he could do that would basically force their hand to push for impeachment. Either they were always OK with this or he is trying to call their bluff. Sessions reportedly recommended this, which either means that the rest of the Republicans are fine with it or Trump misinterpreted Sessions as speaking for more people than himself.

Even if Trump gets an FBI director who won't seriously investigate him out of this, he may get killed by leaks since this probably p---es off the intel community.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!