Author Topic: Could see Carmelo landing in Toronto  (Read 1089 times)

Could see Carmelo landing in Toronto
« on: May 09, 2017, 02:12:42 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
On draft night or before.

Caroll + Poeltl + Joseph + Powell seems better than any other team would be willing to offer. I could see them soon something like this to sell Lowry on the idea of staying long term.

I keep hearing the clippers could try to pull a sign and trade with Reddick as the centerpiece but why would NY consider that?

Just a thought

A core of Lowry/DeRozan/Anthony/Ibaka/Valanciunas would be nice. I see Toronto as the most likely landing spot for Melo, which is strange considering I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere..

Re: Could see Carmelo landing in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
3 mediocre players and a mediocre prospect for Melo?  I think NY will hold out for something better.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
3 mediocre players and a mediocre prospect for Melo?  I think NY will hold out for something better.
really?
This sounds about right to me. Carrols contract is bad, but in the current climate it isnt devestating. Poeltl and Powell are better pieces than I would have expected New York to get for Melo.

I see his value as a late first+really mediocre prospect+ salary
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like that. Good low cost opportunity for Toronto to jump at. Their type of move. Need to keep Powell though. Too valuable to give up for Melo. Too much talent going out for Toronto. Powell is their most valuable player after Lowry, DeRozan and Ibaka (maybe Valanciunas). Great glue guy. To lose him and Poeltl is big. And Corey Joseph (a high level backup PG) and D.Carroll. Far too much talent going out for the Raps. Melo isn't worth that much. They'll get Melo for cheaper than that. That is why they should pursue him. At that cost though, no ... they're better standing pat with what they have. That would be a backwards step for them

In terms of fit, I think the Raps need to have Melo at PF rather than SF.

A perimeter trio of DeRozan, Melo and Lowry is too much. Too much isolation. Too much one-on-one play. Lack of ball movement. Especially with two bigs. Ibaka a non-passer. Jonas a middling passer. Not enough ball movement. The offense would be far too stagnant. The team would take a step back if Melo was in that role for them. Take off one of the bigs and get on another ball-handler, passer, shooter to spread the floor. Open up the offense some more.

Also, Melo is too slow on defense. More pressure / heavy lifting on the guards (DeRozan, Lowry). They need someone like Powell as a starter to relieve some of that pressure is needed. Let Melo play PF. Or as a 6th man as a PF/SF.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
really?
This sounds about right to me. Carrols contract is bad, but in the current climate it isnt devestating. Poeltl and Powell are better pieces than I would have expected New York to get for Melo.

I see his value as a late first+really mediocre prospect+ salary

Carrol's career has really been decimated by knee injuries and he is less than half the player he was during his last season in Atlanta. He has to be viewed as a net negative at this point as it is unclear if he can even be a rotation player (was falling out of rotation in playoffs). I don't have a good read on how good a prospect Powell is. He was rather unheralded, but also has some moments where he has looked really good.

All this being said it seems extremely unlikely that Melo would waive his no trade clause to go to Toronto right?