Author Topic: Let's say we get Hayward - what PF do we target then?  (Read 12645 times)

Re: Let's say we get Hayward - what PF do we target then?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 11:47:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sign Hayward, resign KO, and move Avery for picks. Use the room exception to sign a FA for $4.3 million.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Sign Hayward, resign KO, and move Avery for picks. Use the room exception to sign a FA for $4.3 million.

And dump Yab and Jackson.  Otherwise there still isn't enough room if we get the a top 2 pick, which is baked into the premise.

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

And dump Yab and Jackson.  Otherwise there still isn't enough room if we get the a top 2 pick, which is baked into the premise.

Yes, convince Yab to spend another year abroad, and trade Jackson (paying a late #2 if necessary).

Does Yab's cap hold disappear for the season as soon as he signs overseas? Or is it only off the books in the regular s ason? That obviously makes a difference.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:17:06 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Get Nerlens Noel for around 10-12Mill...

How are we getting Noel for $10-12m? Does he just have the worst agent of all time? Does Mark Cuban oversleep and forget to match the offer sheet?

Dude, Noel's getting maxed out and Dallas will match the offer sheet. This is a non-starter.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
What about trading for Aaron Gordon? It seems like he is available.
I forgot about Gordon. Is he actually available? He started all 24 games after Ibaka was traded and put up pretty good numbers in 31 mpg.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Assuming there isn't a major acquisition like Griffin, I would try to steal Richaun Holmes from Philly. That kid can play, excels in the areas we are the weakest, and would help maintain salary flexibility.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I forgot about Gordon. Is he actually available? He started all 24 games after Ibaka was traded and put up pretty good numbers in 31 mpg.

They haven't hired a GM yet, so no one and everyone is available in Orlando.

I would not expect to see Gordon resigned in Boston after this year, so I'm not hugely interested.

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

I would not expect to see Gordon resigned in Boston after this year, so I'm not hugely interested.

Why not? And Gordon was on the trade market during the trade deadline. Not sure if he is any longer with the change in management.

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Why not? And Gordon was on the trade market during the trade deadline. Not sure if he is any longer with the change in management.

I think he's going to get a ton in free agency, and in a world where we're signing Hayward this year and presumably maxing IT next year, there simply won't be enough money for Gordon.

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I know this thread is not meant to debate whether or not we should get Hayward, but I'd rather pass if I was the GM.

Hayward is a good player but not great. In other words, he is not going to get us over Cleveland let alone Golden State.

Imagine having 3 max players on your team and they are a 30+ year old Al Horford, Isaiah Thomas, and Gordon Hayward. That's an awful place to be in imo.

Especially when IT and Al start to decline. If we give GH the max, I think there's a high chance we regret it.

Again, I do think Hayward is a very  good player and should be a borderline all star for the next 5 to 6 years at least. However, not worth it given our current situation.

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I know this thread is not meant to debate whether or not we should get Hayward, but I'd rather pass if I was the GM.

Hayward is a good player but not great. In other words, he is not going to get us over Cleveland let alone Golden State.

Imagine having 3 max players on your team and they are a 30+ year old Al Horford, Isaiah Thomas, and Gordon Hayward. That's an awful place to be in imo.

Especially when IT and Al start to decline. If we give GH the max, I think there's a high chance we regret it.

Again, I do think Hayward is a very  good player and should be a borderline all star for the next 5 to 6 years at least. However, not worth it given our current situation.

Then maybe have that debate in one of the many threads already debating this?

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

But they would not be the only "max" level players.   The hope is at least one (the great would be all) of the lotto Net picks would develop into a "max" player. 

Three actual max players where their contract start to come off around the time the next set of max level players get those contracts. 

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Hayward is a good player but not great.

Again, I do think Hayward is a very  good player and should be a borderline all star for the next 5 to 6 years at least.

The statements are contradictory. A player who is an all-star (only 24 players have that distinction per year) for the life of the contract seems pretty great to me.

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hayward is a good player but not great.

Again, I do think Hayward is a very  good player and should be a borderline all star for the next 5 to 6 years at least.

He may be the bests we can get and CBS knows how to use him.    We need scoring help badly.  He fits that bill nicely

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Al Horford has only 3 years left on his deal after this. A Hayward max couldnt be longer than 4 years, meaning he still has 2 more all star seasons AFTER the deal is gone. When Al expires, Isaiah will only be 31. AI was a beast at that age and Thomas is built to last much more than AI was.

The awful place to be in would look like this.

Horford(33), expiring contract
Hayward(30) 1 year remaining
Thomas(31) 2 years remaining

thats not awful at all. Thomas and Hayward should still be basically as good as they are now and Horford is not likely to decline all that much as hes already basically a finesse player. Plus hes an expiring so its not a big deal. The place for worry (if there was one) would be what do you do then?

Brooklyn 17' will be eligible for an extension and Jaylen will be an RFA.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.