Author Topic: Let's say we get Hayward - what PF do we target then?  (Read 12562 times)

Re: Let's say we get Hayward - what PF do we target then?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
One idea I brought up in another thread is Derrick Favors.  His numbers were down this year, and only played 50 games so maybe we can get cheaper than we normally would, and he only 25.

If we steal Hayward from the Jazz they will be desperate for wing help.  Maybe one of Crowder/Bradley and one of Smart/Rozier for Favors.  You can even make the argument that's an overpay because of Favors down year.

That's close to my thought.   Crowder and Smart for Favors and a future pick.

Yep, and that's a typical Ainge trade possibly buying low, and extracting a future pick.
Crowder and Smart doesnt seem like buying low.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Get Nerlens Noel for around 10-12Mill...
fill out the rest of the roster with D-League players.. do you really need more than this?

IT,Smart,Bradley,Crowder,Hayward,Zizic,Horford,Noel,1st round pick,maybe Rozier
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Presuming we come away from the lottery with the #1 pick which we will use on Fultz, in order to give Hayward the max we are going to have to clear an additional ~$3mil in cap space on top of renouncing all of our free agents (according to a CB article from a few weeks ago).

Swapping Jackson, Bradley and Crowder for Nik Vucevic and the 25th pick should do the trick.  Then use the pick on  Caleb Swanigan.  I know a lot of people don't like Vuc, but you aren't bringing him in to be a star.  He's an elite rebounder, and Swanigan has the potential to be a high level rebounder as well.  On top of that, both are more than competent offensively.  If you look at the end roster, we have addressed our 2 main weaknesses - scoring help and rebounding. 

IT  /  Rozier
Fultz  /  Smart (or flip flop Smart to be the starter)
Hayward  /  Brown
Horford  /  Swanigan
Vucevic  /  Zizic

You can do whatever you want with the wing rotation (start Hayward & Brown, if you prefer).  Either way, we have balance across the lineup.  Much better scoring options and significantly better rebounders.  You can complain about footspeed in the post when it comes to switching ball screens, but are Vuc and Swanigan measurably slower than the guys they are replacing (Johnson & Zeller)?  And if you think so (I don't), is the small difference in footspeed worth the rebounding and offensive efficiency we would gain?  You can still go small ball when desired, with Hayward at the 4.

For deep bench, you have your choice of Yabusele, Nader, 3 second rounders this year (less likely to have that many rookies on the roster) and vet minimum guys.  You could possibly even bring back a guy like JJ, Amir or Zeller if they would agree to deals that would work within the cap.  That would save you from relying on rookies for significant post minutes.

In no way am I arguing that this creates a team with no weaknesses, but I think it's much more equipped for playoff success than this year's roster, plus it provides balance across positions and across skill sets.

Ignoring everything else you said, your proposal comes in about $300k above the salary cap, and therefore isn't doable.

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
One idea I brought up in another thread is Derrick Favors.  His numbers were down this year, and only played 50 games so maybe we can get cheaper than we normally would, and he only 25.

If we steal Hayward from the Jazz they will be desperate for wing help.  Maybe one of Crowder/Bradley and one of Smart/Rozier for Favors.  You can even make the argument that's an overpay because of Favors down year.

Yep, and that's a typical Ainge trade possibly buying low, and extracting a future pick.

I meant buying low on Favors with his down year.

On the flip side you could say selling high in Crowder and his great contract, and Smart if he doesn't improve much.

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

It definitely cost the Celtics something, but at the same time, if the Celtics are bringing in Hayward and a top 4 pick at the G position, we could see both Crowder and Smart's minutes take a hit that could effect their trade worth in the future. 

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Get Nerlens Noel for around 10-12Mill...
fill out the rest of the roster with D-League players.. do you really need more than this?

IT,Smart,Bradley,Crowder,Hayward,Zizic,Horford,Noel,1st round pick,maybe Rozier
Noel will cost you more than 10 mil. Even if he only cost you 10 mil you couldnt afford that anyway.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I'm not sure what the ideal match would be in trade assets, but a younger fit could be Aaron Gordon from the Magic if their new GM is not sold on him as a franchise cornerstone piece.  It may be an overpay but perhaps a package built around Rozier and BRK 18 (maybe with top 3 protection -- turns into MEM pick if not conveyed) could get him here?  Allows the Magic a fresh start next year with 2 lottery picks and gives them a PG prospect that may be better than Payton when all is said and done.  We'd be left with:

IT/Fultz
AB/Smart
Hayward/Brown
Gordon/Crowder/Yab
Horford/Zizic

I like Gordon as a fit with the current roster.  He can guard on the perimeter and provide some shot-blocking despite not being a 5.  He is not a great outside shooter, but he can pass and handle comfortably on the perimeter.  He complements Al well and works well with the play-making load Stevens wants from his bigs.

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 10:59:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

On the flip side you could say selling high in Crowder and his great contract, and Smart if he doesn't improve much.
or you could call it a panic sell after a bad week of playoff games, because 3 weeks ago Crowder + Smart was a huge overpay. Now its "buying low".

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 11:05:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

or you could call it a panic sell after a bad week of playoff games, because 3 weeks ago Crowder + Smart was a huge overpay. Now its "buying low".

Is it if it includes both Favors and a future pick?   

Especially of this is the follow up to say signing Hayward (taking a starting spot from Crowder and expecting Brown's minutes to increase) and drafting another G (likely a PG) taking time  from Smart with Rozier being able to absorb more minutes as well. 

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Is it if it includes both Favors and a future pick?   

Especially of this is the follow up to say signing Hayward (taking a starting spot from Crowder and expecting Brown's minutes to increase) and drafting another G (likely a PG) taking time  from Smart with Rozier being able to absorb more minutes as well.
it depends on the pick.

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The ideal thing for this team might be sign Griffin (I don't think he's leaving though) and pray he stays healthy (big gamble). But if that's off the table or the risk is too high, I think these are the questions I have:

Does Porzingis actually want out of New York?

Are the Spurs displeased with Lamarcus Aldridge?

Is Derick Favors available and could he be got relatively cheaply given his underwhelming year?
 And is he likely to rebound from that underwhelming year?

Might Gallinari be out there? Is he big enough to be the primary 4 if Horford is the 5? Are you tired of hearing his name yet?

Just how much does Serge Ibaka cost? And just how old is he?

What about Gorgui Dieng? Can he play next to Horford? Do the Timberwolves want to open things up a little more?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
If we land #1 pick this year I would keep Fultz and see if anyone bites on Nets '18 pick for a big (thinking Myles Turner if PG13 is traded). Others to consider that won't cost a ton: Drummond, Nurkic, Monroe and  maybe DeAndre Jordan if Clips blow it up. These guys are mostly an upgrade from Amir.
We can also make a bigger trade (that includes AB, Marcus, Jae) but DA hasn't been willing to give up that much so not sure we'll be able to swing for a Gobert, Vucevic or a Jokic.

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I like a few different options:

1. (Medium upgrade) Sign Hayward. Trade AB/Rozier/future 1st for either Skal or Chriss and a 2nd rounder. Then try to go for James Johnson or JaMychal Green with the MLE. renounce all free agents

IT  Fultz
Hayward  Smart
Crowder  Brown
Johnson  Skal
Horford  Zizic

2. (Minor tweaking)  Try to keep going with current guys mostly.  Trade Zeller/Rozier/future first for Favors. Try to sign Favors/Olynyk/Smart/Bradley to team friendly extensions. Not sure how possible that would be with IT commanding such a large contract.

IT  Fultz
Bradley  Smart
Crowder  Brown
Horford  Olynyk
Favors  Zizic

3. (Swing for the fences) Sign Griffin. Trade AB/Crowder/Zeller/Nets pick for Jimmy Butler and Portis. Renounce all free agents.

IT  Rozier
Smart (sign a SG with MLE)
Butler  Brown
Griffin  Portis
Horford  Zizic

Not sure if Hardaway Jr will sign for the MLE, probably command more. Could go after Snell, Simmons, or McLemore?

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
What about trading for Aaron Gordon? It seems like he is available.

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I could see Gordon fitting in my #2 scenario. Instead of trading Rozier/Zeller/future first for Favors - maybe try Rozier/Mickey/future first for Gordon.