Author Topic: Let's say we get Hayward - what PF do we target then?  (Read 12648 times)

Re: Let's say we get Hayward - what PF do we target then?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 01:47:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If Danny believes the nets will improve a lot he might dangle the pick for Porzingis, which I think is a good fit
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 03:21:41 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Trade for Dario Saric
 Make room for Zach Randolph
 Wait till next year. Bamba, Ayton, Porter Jr.

I think we are fine for a year with Hayward Crowder, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Zizic, Yabu

That's seven Swings and Bigs that can really play and defend. Add that to our guards and that's a hard team to beat. #1 seed again.

Three of them haven't even seen an NBA locker room and you are sure they can really play and defend?

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 04:26:16 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Trade for Dario Saric

I think we are fine for a year with Hayward Crowder, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Zizic, Yabu

That's seven Swings and Bigs that can really play and defend. Add that to our guards and that's a hard team to beat. #1 seed again.

Three of them haven't even seen an NBA locker room and you are sure they can really play and defend?

Yeah, I assume the original poster's whole intention was that this Celtics team needs someone to contribute now, not a young player. Zizic and Yabusele will be rookies and they're quite young. We can't expect them, even if they're good, to be starters immediately on a playoff team.

Also, let's stop suggesting guys still on their rookie deals that aren't going to be available. Saric, LaBissiere, Harrell, why would their teams deal them? Guys with more than a year left on their rookie deal whom are productive are very valuable. You would have to trade a star or someone also on their rookie deal with promise like Rozier or Brown for those guys. Smart isn't going to work, he only has a year left on his deal.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 05:17:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Trade for Dario Saric

Yeah, I assume the original poster's whole intention was that this Celtics team needs someone to contribute now, not a young player. Zizic and Yabusele will be rookies and they're quite young. We can't expect them, even if they're good, to be starters immediately on a playoff team.

Also, let's stop suggesting guys still on their rookie deals that aren't going to be available. Saric, LaBissiere, Harrell, why would their teams deal them? Guys with more than a year left on their rookie deal whom are productive are very valuable. You would have to trade a star or someone also on their rookie deal with promise like Rozier or Brown for those guys. Smart isn't going to work, he only has a year left on his deal.
Yabu I agree with being super raw but Zizic can produce from the get go, he's beasting against Real Mardid and Mr.Overhyped Doncic (have nothing against the kid but he hasn't shown me GOAT potential yet)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
We would have to swing a trade. Spare parts are, I think, Crowder (unless he stays as PF), Smart, maybe Rozier, and various picks. Not sure that brings back a world beater but maybe we end up clearing them out and signing Kelly "Canadian Club" Olynyk. Doubt it, but don't think there are much better options.

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think, Crowder (unless he stays as PF),

Can he really play PF well?

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Ok I will post something that can be ripped apart lol

trade Bradley for Faried? I know Faried didn't have a great year but he was injured and playing for Denver lol

He could just focus on crashing the boards since we would have IT, Hayward and Horford for scoring

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Get a couple of young Bigs to develop, then get Gibson if he could be had. Or maybe Thad Young.

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
Presuming we come away from the lottery with the #1 pick which we will use on Fultz, in order to give Hayward the max we are going to have to clear an additional ~$3mil in cap space on top of renouncing all of our free agents (according to a CB article from a few weeks ago).

Swapping Jackson, Bradley and Crowder for Nik Vucevic and the 25th pick should do the trick.  Then use the pick on  Caleb Swanigan.  I know a lot of people don't like Vuc, but you aren't bringing him in to be a star.  He's an elite rebounder, and Swanigan has the potential to be a high level rebounder as well.  On top of that, both are more than competent offensively.  If you look at the end roster, we have addressed our 2 main weaknesses - scoring help and rebounding. 

IT  /  Rozier
Fultz  /  Smart (or flip flop Smart to be the starter)
Hayward  /  Brown
Horford  /  Swanigan
Vucevic  /  Zizic

You can do whatever you want with the wing rotation (start Hayward & Brown, if you prefer).  Either way, we have balance across the lineup.  Much better scoring options and significantly better rebounders.  You can complain about footspeed in the post when it comes to switching ball screens, but are Vuc and Swanigan measurably slower than the guys they are replacing (Johnson & Zeller)?  And if you think so (I don't), is the small difference in footspeed worth the rebounding and offensive efficiency we would gain?  You can still go small ball when desired, with Hayward at the 4.

For deep bench, you have your choice of Yabusele, Nader, 3 second rounders this year (less likely to have that many rookies on the roster) and vet minimum guys.  You could possibly even bring back a guy like JJ, Amir or Zeller if they would agree to deals that would work within the cap.  That would save you from relying on rookies for significant post minutes.

In no way am I arguing that this creates a team with no weaknesses, but I think it's much more equipped for playoff success than this year's roster, plus it provides balance across positions and across skill sets.

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
One idea I brought up in another thread is Derrick Favors.  His numbers were down this year, and only played 50 games so maybe we can get cheaper than we normally would, and he only 25.

If we steal Hayward from the Jazz they will be desperate for wing help.  Maybe one of Crowder/Bradley and one of Smart/Rozier for Favors.  You can even make the argument that's an overpay because of Favors down year.

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
One idea I brought up in another thread is Derrick Favors.  His numbers were down this year, and only played 50 games so maybe we can get cheaper than we normally would, and he only 25.

If we steal Hayward from the Jazz they will be desperate for wing help.  Maybe one of Crowder/Bradley and one of Smart/Rozier for Favors.  You can even make the argument that's an overpay because of Favors down year.

That's close to my thought.   Crowder and Smart for Favors and a future pick.   

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Presuming we come away from the lottery with the #1 pick which we will use on Fultz, in order to give Hayward the max we are going to have to clear an additional ~$3mil in cap space on top of renouncing all of our free agents (according to a CB article from a few weeks ago).

Swapping Jackson, Bradley and Crowder for Nik Vucevic and the 25th pick should do the trick.  Then use the pick on  Caleb Swanigan.  I know a lot of people don't like Vuc, but you aren't bringing him in to be a star.  He's an elite rebounder, and Swanigan has the potential to be a high level rebounder as well.  On top of that, both are more than competent offensively.  If you look at the end roster, we have addressed our 2 main weaknesses - scoring help and rebounding. 

IT  /  Rozier
Fultz  /  Smart (or flip flop Smart to be the starter)
Hayward  /  Brown
Horford  /  Swanigan
Vucevic  /  Zizic

You can do whatever you want with the wing rotation (start Hayward & Brown, if you prefer).  Either way, we have balance across the lineup.  Much better scoring options and significantly better rebounders.  You can complain about footspeed in the post when it comes to switching ball screens, but are Vuc and Swanigan measurably slower than the guys they are replacing (Johnson & Zeller)?  And if you think so (I don't), is the small difference in footspeed worth the rebounding and offensive efficiency we would gain?  You can still go small ball when desired, with Hayward at the 4.

For deep bench, you have your choice of Yabusele, Nader, 3 second rounders this year (less likely to have that many rookies on the roster) and vet minimum guys.  You could possibly even bring back a guy like JJ, Amir or Zeller if they would agree to deals that would work within the cap.  That would save you from relying on rookies for significant post minutes.

In no way am I arguing that this creates a team with no weaknesses, but I think it's much more equipped for playoff success than this year's roster, plus it provides balance across positions and across skill sets.
This is my favorite idea yet(really wish we would have traded Amir and a low pick this year) BUT I'm not sure Orlando would really want crowder and bradley when they have ross and Fournier

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Trade for Dario Saric

I suggested a trade of Bradley for those 'guys'. Do you really believe that Rozier has more value than Bradley? In my opinion, we would be dealing Bradley only because we are signing Hayward and potentially would want to keep KO, not because we are desperate to get rid of him. Bradley, even though he only has one year left on his contract, is a pretty valuable player in this league right now.

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

That's close to my thought.   Crowder and Smart for Favors and a future pick.

Yep, and that's a typical Ainge trade possibly buying low, and extracting a future pick.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Aminu from Portland would be pretty ideal for our system. He's a good rebounder, versatile defender, has shown some ability to hit a shot and Portland has GOT to get off of some of their money.

If we did land Hayward, Crowder+matching money for Aminu and a pick seems like a deal that would help both sides.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner