Author Topic: C's Retired # compromise suggestion  (Read 3645 times)

C's Retired # compromise suggestion
« on: May 07, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Going crazy waiting for game tonite...

Every so often we discuss the plethora of retired #'s hanging from the rafters.  I am an old dog and have no problem with what has been done to date.  I know others feel we have too many hanging.  So here is my suggestion:

Establish criteria for retirement consideration:  I propose that only players on championship teams be eligible.  That would free up four numbers currently retired.

Walter Brown - #1 - becomes "Walter" on the banner
Red Auerbach - #2 - becomes "Red" on the banner
Ed Macauley - #22 - becomes "Easy Ed"
Reggie Lewis - #35 - becomes "Reggie"

I know that is not giving back a lot, but it is something.  Of course we have #34 and #5 to look forward to.

Re: C's Retired # compromise suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
There are plenty of numbers still available. I say it is fine the way it is. It doesn't make much sense to change the numbers to nicknames for two players. For Walter Brown and Red Auerbach though, that is reasonable, as they never actually had a jersey with a number.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I was just talking to my buddy about this and he had the following 2 cents:

Numbers remain retired while honored player is alive, upon his death (or there about) number goes back in the available pool, and nick name or first name goes up on banner.

For example, the season following Bird's death, #33 on banner is replaced with "Larry Legend" or whatever.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 04:08:26 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

Numbers remain retired while honored player is alive, upon his death (or there about) number goes back in the available pool, and nick name or first name goes up on banner.

For example, the season following Bird's death, #33 on banner is replaced with "Larry Legend" or whatever.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
How about #01..#02..#03...etc.

We have Parish Retied "00".....While, AB wears "0"
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I am fine with it the way it is--seems very special to me--part of the reason we are all Celtics fans--part of Celtics tradition.  Other teams don't have this issue because they did not earn the banners in the rafters. 

Keep the Leprechaun because Red's brother designed it--keep the straightforward  uniforms because they wore them and went 11 for 13 during the Russell era.  Personally I would have kept only black sneakers with white laces also.  That is all I play in.

If I buy a Celtics shirt with 6 on it I want it to say Russell, 14- Cousy, 33-Bird, 15- Heinsohn, 17- Havlicek  and 3 - Johnson.  If you want to be a C's fan you should know the retired numbers and why they were retired.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:11:00 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 05:24:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I am fine with it the way it is--seems very special to me--part of the reason we are all Celtics fans--part of Celtics tradition.  Other teams don't have this issue because they did not earn the banners in the rafters. 

Keep the Leprechaun because Red's brother designed it--keep the straightforward  uniforms because they wore them and went 11 for 13 during the Russell era.  Personally I would have kept only black sneakers with white laces also.  That is all I play in.

If I buy a Celtics shirt with 6 on it I want it to say Russell, 14- Cousy, 33-Bird, 15- Heinsohn, 17- Havlicek  and 3 - Johnson.  If you want to be a C's fan you should know the retired numbers and why they were retired.
I prefer my Steve Kuberski #33 shirt  ;D

Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There are a ton of numbers left...no need for compromise to give numbers back.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Hey Dave, I think the otherdave already posted this. 8)

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Bird and Russell should always have their numbers retired. But I'd be on board with the until death thing.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
So we gonna retire Kevin Gamble's jersey? ;D

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Beautiful. Wish I could say it better, but I cannot.

The Boston Celtics are special, unique. Let's keep it that way.

Walter Brown and Red Auerbach are only the two most important people in the history of the greatest franchise in basketball - Do Not throw away their numbers.

Why the hand-wringing over numbers ? So what if we have a few less available #'s than other teams ? We've had more outstanding players than other teams. Makes sense.

Plenty left, #'s 4, 7,8,9,11,12,13,20, 26,27,28,29,30,36,37,38,39,all 40's & 50's.
Personally, I'd just as soon they not have any number higher than 55. Just doesn't look right for basketball. BTW, those #90's jerseys look ridiculous.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
A while backs someone said to make Pierce the last retired number and then give everyone after (as well as the current retired numbers) a shamrock.  I think this is the best solution.  I agree that it's weird when numbers are higher than 55.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Beautiful. Wish I could say it better, but I cannot.

The Boston Celtics are special, unique. Let's keep it that way.

Walter Brown and Red Auerbach are only the two most important people in the history of the greatest franchise in basketball - Do Not throw away their numbers.

Why the hand-wringing over numbers ? So what if we have a few less available #'s than other teams ? We've had more outstanding players than other teams. Makes sense.

Plenty left, #'s 4, 7,8,9,11,12,13,20, 26,27,28,29,30,36,37,38,39,all 40's & 50's.
Personally, I'd just as soon they not have any number higher than 55. Just doesn't look right for basketball. BTW, those #90's jerseys look ridiculous.
That's very little...usually I would not go with anything higher than 45 tbh they look weird...also assuming IT is staying here long term 4 is already off the table as well
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The amount of numbers retired cheapens the ones that actually deserve to be retired. I mean the Celtics have 22 people in the rafters. For a comparison the Lakers have 9.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip