Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Wizards (1-2) Round 2 Game 4 5/7/17  (Read 107248 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at Wizards (1-2) Round 2 Game 4 5/7/17
« Reply #930 on: May 07, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
People seriously think this is about effort?  Seriously?  And brown is in during garbage time.  His play right now is less than meaningless.

You don't think the 3rd 1/4 massacre was at least partly due to effort?
We were passive beyond belief, we were practically bending over for the Wiz.
I absolutely don't think it's about effort.  What kind of sense does that make anyway?  You prefer to think that our guys choose not to try hard when the obvious answer is that we're at a serious talent disadvantage.  They have had huge runs in every game.  That's not an accident and it's not because the team isn't trying.

I went to a game this morning where my kids team beat the other one by 50 points.  They were trying as hard as they could but were outmanned.

Look effort isn't just about running as fast as you can down the court.  It is a mental approach as well.  The mentality to say we are going to stop this 15 point run right now while we are still in the game.  Part of that is effort.  The mental weakness allows the poor effort to continue.  We just don't have guys who are mentally tough.

We obviously have talented players on our team, maybe not good enough to win series with the cavs, but good enough to respond better than they did today.
Let me explain something, and I'll use my kids team as an analogy.  When they play they cons usually tell before the game starts whether the other team is better, worse, our about the same.  When a team is better, everything falls into plays and they look great.  When they aren't, things tend to fall apart. 

All that stuff about heart is garbage because talent wins out.

They might have more over-all talent RIGHT NOW, but they do NOT have hardly ANY CAP room after they give Porter a virtual MAX.  They are what they are.  We have or should have room to sign a MAX and we are GUARANTEED a top 4 pick this year and a almost GUARANTEED top 7 pick NEXT YEAR.  We WILL have size next year as Zizic is coming.  I am NOT sold on Yabusele.  Nadar SHOULD make our team (Saw him play in person twice!!  He is LEGIT!!)

We were NOT built to win this year.

IF the Wiz beat us, I doubt they win ONE freaking game vs. the Cavs!!!

Smitty77
they cant make any big additions, but Beal and Porter are just 23. Plenty of room for the Wiz to improve.
Not to mention that they already have a true superstar on their team. That's the real key.

« Reply #931 on: May 07, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
People seriously think this is about effort?  Seriously?  And brown is in during garbage time.  His play right now is less than meaningless.

I absolutely don't think it's about effort.  What kind of sense does that make anyway?  You prefer to think that our guys choose not to try hard when the obvious answer is that we're at a serious talent disadvantage.  They have had huge runs in every game.  That's not an accident and it's not because the team isn't trying.

I went to a game this morning where my kids team beat the other one by 50 points.  They were trying as hard as they could but were outmanned.

Look effort isn't just about running as fast as you can down the court.  It is a mental approach as well.  The mentality to say we are going to stop this 15 point run right now while we are still in the game.  Part of that is effort.  The mental weakness allows the poor effort to continue.  We just don't have guys who are mentally tough.

We obviously have talented players on our team, maybe not good enough to win series with the cavs, but good enough to respond better than they did today.
Let me explain something, and I'll use my kids team as an analogy.  When they play they cons usually tell before the game starts whether the other team is better, worse, our about the same.  When a team is better, everything falls into plays and they look great.  When they aren't, things tend to fall apart. 

They might have more over-all talent RIGHT NOW, but they do NOT have hardly ANY CAP room after they give Porter a virtual MAX.  They are what they are.  We have or should have room to sign a MAX and we are GUARANTEED a top 4 pick this year and a almost GUARANTEED top 7 pick NEXT YEAR.  We WILL have size next year as Zizic is coming.  I am NOT sold on Yabusele.  Nadar SHOULD make our team (Saw him play in person twice!!  He is LEGIT!!)

Smitty77
they cant make any big additions, but Beal and Porter are just 23. Plenty of room for the Wiz to improve.
Not to mention that they already have a true superstar on their team. That's the real key.

They don't need big additions. Their starting 5 is really, really good. They need bench help, which they can get.

« Reply #932 on: May 07, 2017, 09:28:45 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
56-38.

Thats the points in the paint differential.

Soft as Charmin inside.

been sayin! when will we make scoring in the paint a prioroty?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #933 on: May 07, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think the TURNING POINT in this series was when Morris threw Horford to the floor (No flagrant on that blatantly non-basketball move!!!) and NOT a SINGLE CELTIC had his back.

I think the series turned at that point.  The Wiz realized that we are SOFT and have NO BACKBONE and at that point they smelled blood in the water!!

Smitty77
Enough with the toughness and effort.  They have better players.

They have tougher players and refs that give the calls to Wall and NOT to the third leading scorer in the NBA!!!!

Smitty77

You need to anoint your star a superstar before he gets superstar calls. Apparently the refs have no problems issuing technical fouls to IT.

What?

Smitty77
I mean you have to promote your player as a superstar and the refs have to recognize him as one before he gets the star treatment. The refs do not recognize IT as a superstar in the league.

« Reply #934 on: May 07, 2017, 09:30:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think the TURNING POINT in this series was when Morris threw Horford to the floor (No flagrant on that blatantly non-basketball move!!!) and NOT a SINGLE CELTIC had his back.

I think the series turned at that point.  The Wiz realized that we are SOFT and have NO BACKBONE and at that point they smelled blood in the water!!

Smitty77
Enough with the toughness and effort.  They have better players.

They have tougher players and refs that give the calls to Wall and NOT to the third leading scorer in the NBA!!!!

Smitty77

You need to anoint your star a superstar before he gets superstar calls. Apparently the refs have no problems issuing technical fouls to IT.

What?

Smitty77
I mean you have to promote your player as a superstar and the refs have to recognize him as one before he gets the star treatment. The refs do not recognize IT as a superstar in the league.

Then the refs are IDIOTS!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #935 on: May 07, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

Smitty77

They don't need big additions. Their starting 5 is really, really good. They need bench help, which they can get.

good points
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #936 on: May 07, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Smitty77

If we beat the Cavs do we win one freaking game against the CAVS?

We have a BETTER chance than do the WIZ!!  Are you a Celtics' fan?

Smitty77

Yes I am, why do you ask. I asked you a legitimate question to know what you think?

« Reply #937 on: May 07, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Smitty77

Are you a Celtics' fan?

Smitty77

« Reply #938 on: May 07, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Lol I don't know how someone can watch this particular team struggle with "showing up" to certain games all season long and come away with such a non-sensical opinion.

This team was only as good as it was the last couple of years because of our heart. We simply don't have it this year due to an entitled attitude.

Yep, both the team and the coach feel entitled.
Clearly the fans will entitled...and are clueless as usual.

This is quite hilarious coming from the guy comparing the NBA to a pee-wee team...
Are you suggesting that nba players are not human?  Or that they don't have better players?  And that our players don't care?  When did we stop caring because we did beat Chicago?  Did Chicago not care?

As for a pee wee team, obviously you don't understand that either.  Been watching ultra competitive "pee wee" games for six years.  Even at the youngest levels, these kids have heart and go all out.  You'd be amazed frankly.  There is a lot of similarities between those games and the nba.  You just have no idea.

« Reply #939 on: May 07, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Smitty77
That stupid contract to Mahinmi really hamstrings them.  Without it, they might be able to free up enough space to get Cousins next offseason. 

« Reply #940 on: May 07, 2017, 09:34:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Smitty77

Are you a Celtics' fan?

Smitty77
I mean, do you want me to lie about what I see?  I can't do that, sorry.  Wall is a superstar.  He's basically IT, but seven inches taller, faster, and with better vision.

« Reply #941 on: May 07, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Lol I don't know how someone can watch this particular team struggle with "showing up" to certain games all season long and come away with such a non-sensical opinion.

This team was only as good as it was the last couple of years because of our heart. We simply don't have it this year due to an entitled attitude.

This is quite hilarious coming from the guy comparing the NBA to a pee-wee team...
Are you suggesting that nba players are not human?  Or that they don't have better players?  And that our players don't care?  When did we stop caring because we did beat Chicago?  Did Chicago not care?

As for a pee wee team, obviously you don't understand that either.  Been watching ultra competitive "pee wee" games for six years.  Even at the youngest levels, these kids have heart and go all out.  You'd be amazed frankly.  There is a lot of similarities between those games and the nba.  You just have no idea.

lol I am glad you enjoy coaching the young kids, but I will have whatever you are smoking.  Pee wee league has literally no similarities to the NBA.  Wow

« Reply #942 on: May 07, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

What about when the teams are approximately equal or when one of the players...idk...did something bad at school and got suspended for a game?

« Reply #943 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Lol.

Anyways, if you think this is just a talent disparity that we're at a significant disadvantage at and heart, intensity, and effort have nothing to do with it, then I'm not sure why you even watch the games.

I think it's pretty clear that this is just as much of a heart/character/pscyhological problem as it is a talent problem. They are not THAT much more talented than us that they should be going on 26-0 runs and blowing us out like this. We just haven't had the defensive intensity to withstand our offensive droughts. Everything with this team comes back to our defense, specifically our defensive intensity. Even when we're hitting shots, if we don't actually defend, then we don't win.

« Reply #944 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don't think this is about talent disparity. I honestly think that the Wiz and C's are pretty similar teams. It's just shortage of talent in general. People are expecting too much from guys like Crowder, Bradley, Smart, etc.

Let's face it: none of them are stars in this league. Countless guys have said it (Pierce, Doc rivers, etc.) but the biggest difference between a good player and a great player is consistency. JR smith is a pretty good example of this. Dude can be a flame thrower on offense and has all the athleticism to be great. But he isn't. Granted, some nights he can bury you. Other nights, he can't.

What we're seeing is pretty much the symptom of what all of us have known for much of the whole year. This team isn't on that next level yet (and neither are the Wiz for that matter).
- LilRip