Author Topic: several teams have called for possible porzingis trade  (Read 7771 times)

Re: several teams have called for possible porzingis trade
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Let's be rational about what Porzingis is. He has great potential, and a good skill set for the modern NBA, but at the moment, he isn't as good as Al Horford.

He has not shown himself to be an alpha type, climb on my back and I'll take you to the title guy. He is not close to becoming a Karl Anthony Towns. Right now he's a notch better than Myles Turner and a several notches below Jokic.

He is on a path to possibly become a third team all-nba player, if he improves at a normal rate. Crowder and a pick in the 2-4 range in a good draft is a fair haul for him.

You vastly under-rate Porzingis and thus your offer is not serious.

I agree that Crowder and the Brooklyn first would not be seriously considered by New York. He is the only hope New York has. But that's what he is worth to us. That is a lot of value for a second or third tier star. Unless he makes a big leap soon, he won't work as the best player on a title team.

If you were to ask every GM in the league whether they wanted Jokic or Porzingas, I think Jokic wins in a landslide. There is very little chance he will be as good as Towns or Anthony Davis.

Do you disagree with any of those comparisons?

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 01:41:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Let's be rational about what Porzingis is. He has great potential, and a good skill set for the modern NBA, but at the moment, he isn't as good as Al Horford.

He has not shown himself to be an alpha type, climb on my back and I'll take you to the title guy. He is not close to becoming a Karl Anthony Towns. Right now he's a notch better than Myles Turner and a several notches below Jokic.

He is on a path to possibly become a third team all-nba player, if he improves at a normal rate. Crowder and a pick in the 2-4 range in a good draft is a fair haul for him.

I agree that Crowder and the Brooklyn first would not be seriously considered by New York. He is the only hope New York has. But that's what he is worth to us. That is a lot of value for a second or third tier star. Unless he makes a big leap soon, he won't work as the best player on a title team.

If you were to ask every GM in the league whether they wanted Jokic or Porzingas, I think Jokic wins in a landslide. There is very little chance he will be as good as Towns or Anthony Davis.

Crowder and the Brooklyn 1st (2nd-4th, not Fultz) is not a lot of value for a 21 year old 2nd or 3rd tier star who contributes both offensively and defensively.  Jokic and Towns are both poor defenders and I don't see them getting much better. 

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 05:02:32 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I just got an idea, maybe based on Thomas being a less than perfect defender in this series.

If we get to draft Fultz, what about trading Thomas for Porzingis. It will definitely be with tears in my eyes if the trade happen, but I think there might be some good reasons for it. I'm not sure, when it comes to salary-fillers and picks, who should pay who how much. It would be great some money of the books and everything counts,

1) Our defence is not good at the moment. We need presence in the paint and with Thomas on the team we will always have a place in which we are being overmatched against the top teams.

2) Afterwars we should try to trade for Butler.

3) Try to trade for Hayward.

If we can get both Porzingis and Butler we will have to more contracts for years to come and not just one more year as it is with Thomas. I even think it will be possible to sign Thomas in a year, as I think he will decline massively in a new system not made for him. Maybe we can even re-sign him to a fair deal.

I admit with these trades we will be heavily damages on offence, but I also think we will much stronger on defence, and other players will step up in the absence of Thomas. I really believe in Smart and Bradley, and Rozier is on his way to have a breakthrough, and all that along with Fultz, and it might work really well.

I have an ambivalent view on the trade, but part of me think it might be good for us.

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I just got an idea, maybe based on Thomas being a less than perfect defender in this series.

If we get to draft Fultz, what about trading Thomas for Porzingis. It will definitely be with tears in my eyes if the trade happen, but I think there might be some good reasons for it. I'm not sure, when it comes to salary-fillers and picks, who should pay who how much. It would be great some money of the books and everything counts,

1) Our defence is not good at the moment. We need presence in the paint and with Thomas on the team we will always have a place in which we are being overmatched against the top teams.

If we can get both Porzingis and Butler we will have to more contracts for years to come and not just one more year as it is with Thomas. I even think it will be possible to sign Thomas in a year, as I think he will decline massively in a new system not made for him. Maybe we can even re-sign him to a fair deal.

I admit with these trades we will be heavily damages on offence, but I also think we will much stronger on defence, and other players will step up in the absence of Thomas. I really believe in Smart and Bradley, and Rozier is on his way to have a breakthrough, and all that along with Fultz, and it might work really well.

I have an ambivalent view on the trade, but part of me think it might be good for us.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if we drafted Fultz, Ball, Monk or any guard. New York wouldn't, I assume. TP for the idea.

My most realistic trade scenario for IT is to Indiana for Myles Turner (they need to sell a winning team to PG13 to retain him) and to Philadelphia for Saric.

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12

and the Knicks do this why?

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Knicks would need IT and Horford then send out Lee, KP, Noah and 2017 1st. It'd be a clearing for NYK and a rebuild for C's only way I see KP being dealt to C's.

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:08 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3

and the Knicks do this why?

I all depends on what the Knicks wants to do. If the Knicks will try to sign stars in FA, when Rose is getting of the books, then they might be interested. If they want to rebuild they will not be.

IT is a star, and Knicks really need quality on the guard positions.

If they can fix the problems with Melo or trade him for another veteran star they might do it, and I don't think they are willing to blow it all up this season, but they might do it next season. They still believe in Noah, Melo and Lee, and just need the last few assets.

Besides that Porzingis is not a perfect fit in the triangle offence that Knicks is running at the moment.

I think both teams will be strengthened and the trade will fill the needs both team has. 

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Crowder and the Brooklyn 1st (2nd-4th, not Fultz) is not a lot of value for a 21 year old 2nd or 3rd tier star who contributes both offensively and defensively.  Jokic and Towns are both poor defenders and I don't see them getting much better.
It is quite a lot...I don't see many stars, even young ones traded for a king's ransom like you guys propose...not saying they aren't worth it but the market will never pay that much unless a team is desperate. I think adding a guy like Rozier and a couple of seconds would sweeten the deal enough for New York to take
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

It is quite a lot...I don't see many stars, even young ones traded for a king's ransom like you guys propose...not saying they aren't worth it but the market will never pay that much unless a team is desperate. I think adding a guy like Rozier and a couple of seconds would sweeten the deal enough for New York to take
Stars rarely get traded and those that do generally are veterans at the end of their contract (e.g. Love and Cousins). Young talented players like KP don't get traded unless it is for an established star.  They are much too valuable being on a rookie contract with an almost certainty of being resigned as an RFA. 

Do you have an example of a similar trade to the one you're proposing?  I can't think of one in recent times.