Author Topic: My ideal draft scenario... trading with the Lakers  (Read 1567 times)

My ideal draft scenario... trading with the Lakers
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I read a few articles today about how the Lakers are completely "enamored" with Lonzo Ball, and of course there's been plenty of comments made by the Ball family about his desire to play for the Lakers. The pressure to draft him to appease the fan base must be extremely high. So if we pick higher than them, let's take advantage. Since there's only three scenarios for this to work, here's how i see it.

Celtics pick 1, Lakers pick 2 or 3:
Celtics swap picks with the Lakers for Julius Randle or Brandon Ingram, and Larry Nance. Lakers draft Ball, Celtics still get Fultz or settle with Tatum

Celtics pick 2, Lakers pick 3:
Celtics swap picks with the Lakers for Julius Randle or Brandon Ingram. Lakers draft Ball, Celtics get Tatum.

Regardless if we'll actually keep Randle/Ingram/Nance, or package them in a subsequent deal, I think you have to take advantage of the Lakers love affair with Lonzo.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: My ideal draft scenario... trading with the Lakers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Out of all teams, the Celtics can't contribute to making the Lakers relevant again. Besides, other than Ingram, I can't think of any player on the Lakers roster that would move the needle for Danny. And speaking of Ingram, no way in all of creation, are the Lakers giving up on Ingram after one year to just move up 1 or two spots in the draft.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I read a few articles today about how the Lakers are completely "enamored" with Lonzo Ball, and of course there's been plenty of comments made by the Ball family about his desire to play for the Lakers. The pressure to draft him to appease the fan base must be extremely high. So if we pick higher than them, let's take advantage. Since there's only three scenarios for this to work, here's how i see it.

Celtics swap picks with the Lakers for Julius Randle or Brandon Ingram, and Larry Nance. Lakers draft Ball, Celtics still get Fultz or settle with Tatum

Celtics swap picks with the Lakers for Julius Randle or Brandon Ingram. Lakers draft Ball, Celtics get Tatum.

Regardless if we'll actually keep Randle/Ingram/Nance, or package them in a subsequent deal, I think you have to take advantage of the Lakers love affair with Lonzo.

They could do the same with us given our love for Fultz, evidently.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I love the idea of trading back with LA and getting a pick plus Nance in return.

I like Nance's game a lot, and I remember reading when RJ Hunter was cut that Nance was the guy Ainge wanted, but LA snagged him a pick before us.

If the Celtics have a chance to snag Fultz I'm not sure if I would do it.  Why trade back, and possible risk losing Fultz (assuming we trade from #1 to #3) just for the extra player we would get from LA?  If we land at #1 and LA at #2 I'm not sure the incentive to move up for Ball is strong enough knowing you could just grab Fultz if Boston took Ball.

If we landed at #2 and Fultz was off the board, well that's a different story.

Would love to see Larry Nance in Boston, I think he would be a solid fit and could even start next to Al.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

no front office should be dumb enough to draft a player based on appeasing their fanbase.  fans are too fickle and know precious little about how good the players really are. 

that said, I wouldn't deal with the Lakers at all.  C's would be dumb to make a deal before draft night -- no way Danny would do that.  so, assuming the deal is done for draft night and C's take Ball for the Lakers, there's nothing forcing the Lakers to go through with it and get a player we (and they) would prefer and keep him.  Lakers get a better player than Ball and also get to screw the C's into taking a player they wouldn't want. 

also, Lakers don't have enough to entice me to take that risk.  Randle doesn't do it for me and Ingram is too raw to take that risk no matter how small.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This thread is pretty much make believe.  First, I don't believe that the lakers are necessarily enamored with Lonzo Ball.  I know lots of people are drawing that imaginary line but they're in the business of picking the best players too.  And there is no reason to believe they would be more enamored with Ball than any other team (whatever level that is).

Second, giving up Ingram for moving back a pick or two simply ain't gonna happen.  Even Randle isn't realistic.  Third, we may end up behind the lakers or, the lakers may not even end up with a pick at all.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the Lakers get the #1 pick, they're taking Fultz. This idea that the Lakers want Ball and only Ball is nonsense. It has as much credibility as the reports that the Lakers were locked in on Jahil Okafor.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If the Lakers get the #1 pick, they're taking Fultz. This idea that the Lakers want Ball and only Ball is nonsense. It has as much credibility as the reports that the Lakers were locked in on Jahil Okafor.

Says you.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Says you.

Says common sense and the history of breathless draft reports from the likes of Chad Ford.

Quote from: Chad Ford
Hearing Lakers settling in on Jahlil Okafor at No. 2.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:03:15 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
It is a very weak logic.

If we have 1 and they 2, the Lakers will assume we take Fultz and naturally take Ball (if they have 2). No asset for us needed.

If we have 1 and they have 3, it depends on our willingness to lose Fultz (will be picked by the team selecting at 2). Will we lose Fultz to get Nance or Randle? I wouldn't.

However, if we have 2 and they have 3, it can be worked out.