Author Topic: What would you give up to trade up from 2 to 1 to get Fultz?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This is an interesting question. Watching this team, seems pretty clear that our biggest need is another go to scorer. Fultz more than anyone fits that bill. Also reports (Scal, for example) that Danny really loves Fultz. 

So say we get the 2nd pick in the draft.  The team with the 1st pick is indifferent to choosing Fultz or another player (such as Ball). Reading Ford's latest draft speculation, several of the top teams in the draft (e.g. Lakers and Suns) rank Ball ahead of Fultz.  But they also probably know that we want Fultz.  So....

Danny calls them up and to see what they plan to do at 1. They say, well, we really like Fultz, but also like Ball.  Danny says, "hey, what would it take for you not to draft Fultz?" (i.e., for us to swap picks).

If you were Danny, what would you be prepared to give up in this scenario?  Try to be realistic here.  Would you give up Crowder?  Bradley?  Rozier and a future 1st round pick?  How much?

Re: What would you give up to trade up from 2 to 1 to get Fultz?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Clearly this years pick, then probably two of the future non-Brooklyn picks. 

If they think he is clearly by far the best prospect. 

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I would give them the clips and our 18 pick, and then just start throwing 2nd rounders at them haha (in addition to our pick as wdl pointed out.)
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If Ainge is convinced that Fultz is head and shoulders better than anyone else, I'd give up quite a bit.  Draft picks other than the 18 Brooklyn, whoever they want out of Bradley, Smart, or Crowder.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nothing. If a team takes the trade it likely means they aren't high on Fultz or Boston has clearly overpaid.  In the former I'd take the risk they don't take Fultz and in the latter there is no reason to overpay for an unproven rookie.  I'd also look at possibly trading back if Fultz is gone.  Say Philly or LA has 3 and wants Ball, I'd see what I could get for moving back a spot in that scenario. I mean maybe you could get Russell and 3 for 2 and Bos 18 first (or something like that).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Depends how much I think the other team likes Ball.  If it feels like they're on the fence, Yab and the Clippers pick in addition to #2.  If they're probably going to take Ball anyway, just one of those two.  If they also rate Fultz as a clear #1, I'd add in Rozier to the above.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nothing. If a team takes the trade it likely means they aren't high on Fultz or Boston has clearly overpaid.  In the former I'd take the risk they don't take Fultz and in the latter there is no reason to overpay for an unproven rookie.  I'd also look at possibly trading back if Fultz is gone.  Say Philly or LA has 3 and wants Ball, I'd see what I could get for moving back a spot in that scenario. I mean maybe you could get Russell and 3 for 2 and Bos 18 first (or something like that).
If Ainge is confident that Fultz is awesome, it has nothing to do with what another team thinks of Fultz.  It doesn't mean throwing in something extra makes it an overpay.  I mean, someone thought Anthony Bennett was the best player in a draft and somebody else thought Michael Jordan was the third best.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Asked this question about a month ago.  I'd certainly give up our first next year plus other assets if the team at the top was willing to listen.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 01:01:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

That assumes that they think Boston would take who they want with the 2nd pick.   What if the team with the third or 4th pick offers to jump up for Fultz?   What if the other team sees 4 guys very even but Fultz just slightly ahead?

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I really don't get the fascination with Fultz, especially when the Celtics currently have one of the best scorers in the NBA in Isaiah, and also one of the best defenders in the league in Bradley. To me, there is no reason to overpay and make that trade. I think Josh Jackson may be the better fit for this team anyways. So if the Celtics have the second pick, their options will be Fultz or Jackson, which will be a win-win situation either way.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Teams don't trade out of 1st. They only trade that pick for an all star player.  Cleveland didn't even trade out in that horrible Bennet draft.