Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87425 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #390 on: January 04, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Said just after trade that Danny would have to give uo eithrr the Brooklyn pick or the LA pick. I said a lot of people will be surprised if in the end, Danny kept the right pick.
Consider me surprised. Thought this was the least talented team in the NBA.

Still believe that actually. Hats off to Atkinson and these players. They play HARD every single night.

I think you underrate their talent upgrade, especially for the type of style they want to play.  Maybe they don't have many "names" but guys like Crabbe and Carrol are legit NBA talents that had significant roles on playoff teams.

« Reply #391 on: January 04, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Another plus is the diminishing value of the Nets pick as the trade deadline gets closer.  In the 10th lottery slot currently and 4 games from the 8th seed, the Cavaliers are watching an opportunity to bolster the team fade away.   

Keep it going Brooklyn.

« Reply #392 on: January 04, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Another plus is the diminishing value of the Nets pick as the trade deadline gets closer.  In the 10th lottery slot currently and 4 games from the 8th seed, the Cavaliers are watching an opportunity to bolster the team fade away.   

Keep it going Brooklyn.

Yes. This. If the Nets were comfortable in the 2nd or 3rd slot the Cavs could certainly trade it for a better player easily and really dominate the east this year/possibly keep Lebron

« Reply #393 on: January 04, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Keep it going Brooklyn.
they are also only 4.5 games from the worst record in the league.  There are a lot of bad teams this year.  Should be an interesting second half of the season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #394 on: January 04, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Said just after trade that Danny would have to give uo eithrr the Brooklyn pick or the LA pick. I said a lot of people will be surprised if in the end, Danny kept the right pick.

Still believe that actually. Hats off to Atkinson and these players. They play HARD every single night.

I think you underrate their talent upgrade, especially for the type of style they want to play.  Maybe they don't have many "names" but guys like Crabbe and Carrol are legit NBA talents that had significant roles on playoff teams.
Those guys are OK players, but neither are nearly as good as Brook Lopez in my book.

Plus look at the talent on some of the squads below them. The Hawks have Bazemore and Schroeder Ilyasova and Dedmon are pretty decent too.

The Lakers dont have much but KCP, Lopez, Ingram, Clarkson, Randle, Ball etc. They have more talent.

Orlando has Aaron Gordon Fournier, Vucevic, Payton, Simmons and Ross

Sacramento is pretty bad.

Dallas has Barnes and Dirk and Wes Matthews

Chicago has Mirotic and Portis and Lopez and Dunn and will get Lavine soon.

Phoenix has Devin Booker, Greg Monroe and a couple recent top 10 picks.

Charlotte is obviously way more talented, and yet Brooklyn has a better record than all these teams. Its unbelievable what Atkinson has been able to do.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2018, 06:24:08 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Carroll was mentioned in Woj's trade speculation article today too. Right knee sprain during the last play of the C's game.

Kenny Atkinson confirmed that DeMarre Carroll avoided serious injury, is day to day with a sprain. #nets

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Lewis/status/950501226990522370

« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Keep it going Brooklyn.
they are also only 4.5 games from the worst record in the league.  There are a lot of bad teams this year.  Should be an interesting second half of the season.

You realize 4.5 is 35-40%% of what these bottom teams have won in half the season? When you are talking about 22 win teams over the course of the year... 4.5 is pretty significant...

« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Carroll was mentioned in Woj's trade speculation article today too. Right knee sprain during the last play of the C's game.

Kenny Atkinson confirmed that DeMarre Carroll avoided serious injury, is day to day with a sprain. #nets

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Lewis/status/950501226990522370

Glad it’s not serious.  That said, I can’t imagine teams are lining up to acquire the $15.4 million Carroll is owed next season.  If the Nets can move that for less than the 1st round pick Toronto paid them to take it, good for them.

« Reply #398 on: January 08, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

Keep it going Brooklyn.
They should have traded the pick when they acquired it, but fortunately for the Celtics, LeBron gave no commitment to them beyond this season so they need it as rebuilding insurance.

« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So close. Net's are really balling now. Dinwiddie was a thrown in or a salary clearing trade if I remember correctly - he's been great.

Would be nice if the OP could put the updated pick slot in the subject line like in #lakerspick, so I can cheer when it goes below 10.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #400 on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Russell is practicing with a G-League team and should be back soon, plus they have a great matchup @ Atlanta Friday.

« Reply #401 on: January 10, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Those guys are OK players, but neither are nearly as good as Brook Lopez in my book.

Plus look at the talent on some of the squads below them. The Hawks have Bazemore and Schroeder Ilyasova and Dedmon are pretty decent too.

The Lakers dont have much but KCP, Lopez, Ingram, Clarkson, Randle, Ball etc. They have more talent.

Charlotte is obviously way more talented, and yet Brooklyn has a better record than all these teams. Its unbelievable what Atkinson has been able to do.
Brook Lopez is so bad defensively that teams are just better off not playing him for long periods of time.  the Nets got better by removing Lopez from the lineup. 

The Nets always were going to be a decent bad team.  They are able to just bomb and hit at a very high rate.  They are very deep on the wing so they can just keep swapping in and out players to stay healthy.  And Allen Crabbe is better than anyone on the Hawks, Bulls, Kings, Lakers, and maybe Magic (I'm still not entirely sold on Gordon or Vucevic).  I think you are seriously underestimating how good he is.  Demarre Carroll is a cagey vet.  LeVert, RHJ, Dinwiddie, and Harris show good promise.  Russell obviously has a lot of potential (shame he has missed so much time).  The Nets were never going to be a bottom 3 team and Ainge knew it, which is why he included that pick instead of the Lakers pick (the Lakers were far more likely to bottom out).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #402 on: January 10, 2018, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
NBA releases their “last two minute” report following last night’s Raptors-Nets game.

Crabbe was fouled on his bucket that tied the game.

And Dinwiddie was fouled on his late dunk attempt.

Both not called...

https://twitter.com/Grady/status/950864674278510593

« Reply #403 on: January 10, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Brook Lopez is so bad defensively that teams are just better off not playing him for long periods of time.  the Nets got better by removing Lopez from the lineup. 

The Nets always were going to be a decent bad team.  They are able to just bomb and hit at a very high rate.  They are very deep on the wing so they can just keep swapping in and out players to stay healthy.  And Allen Crabbe is better than anyone on the Hawks, Bulls, Kings, Lakers, and maybe Magic (I'm still not entirely sold on Gordon or Vucevic).  I think you are seriously underestimating how good he is.  Demarre Carroll is a cagey vet.  LeVert, RHJ, Dinwiddie, and Harris show good promise.  Russell obviously has a lot of potential (shame he has missed so much time).  The Nets were never going to be a bottom 3 team and Ainge knew it, which is why he included that pick instead of the Lakers pick (the Lakers were far more likely to bottom out).

Not to mention they're well-coached and have a system - a system that's designed for winning and not tanking. They seem to have strong belief in the coach and the system. I think they are a version of what the Celts were when CBS first came (minus the incoming picks and other things) in the sense that they installed a system that will work when they get better players. They play hard and take pride in the game. That's worth a few wins when you're talking about the bottom of the barrel.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #404 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
nets tie it up with washington after being down over 20 to go to OT