Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87415 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Crabbe shot 44% from 3 this past season and could be more productive with more shots. He also is long enough to play the 3, same thing with Lavert. The Nets are going small and will probably start Carrol at the 4 and Mozgov at the 5.

Losing Lopez changes things for them though. Lopez stretched the floor and made it easier for teammates to take it to the rim w/o a big clogging the lane. Lopez gave them production from a very rare position in the league. They don't have that anymore.

I doubt it.  Both Booker and RHJ are better options.  I think Russell/Lin/Crabbe/RHJ/Mozgov is most likely.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Crabbe shot 44% from 3 this past season and could be more productive with more shots. He also is long enough to play the 3, same thing with Lavert. The Nets are going small and will probably start Carrol at the 4 and Mozgov at the 5.

Losing Lopez changes things for them though. Lopez stretched the floor and made it easier for teammates to take it to the rim w/o a big clogging the lane. Lopez gave them production from a very rare position in the league. They don't have that anymore.

I doubt it.  Both Booker and RHJ are better options.  I think Russell/Lin/Crabbe/RHJ/Mozgov is most likely.

They're not starting Lin.  They will start Levert.

« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/7/9/15945010/jeremy-lin-excited-about-sharing-the-backcourt-with-dangelo-russell
From all I have read Lin will be starting with Russell. But I would go the way you say Saltover if it was me.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Exactly what they should do. Levert is the future of this team. Lin is gone when his contract ends. Fortunately, Lin is (currently) a better player than Levert.

Okay, I have a request. I've emailed the mods a couple of times and not heard back yet, so I'm hoping that others will help me. The season watch threads have traditionally been stickied in the "Around the NBA" forum, which is where they truly belong. This one is going to get lost in Celtics Talk. Could you take a moment and send a request to get the thread moved?

Thanks!
Mike

« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Keep an eye on their thin frontcourt. Tallest guy they have is an injury prone Mozgov. Their 2nd biggest guy is a poor mens DMC, Trevor Booker. He is listed at only 6'8".

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BRK/2018.html

Maybe they will play super small spread out offense more than often, but still they will suffer for the size deficiency on the defensive end. We felt it on our skin how is to go skilled and small. They have much less skill and fewer defensive guards. Nets probably also feel that they can get an (half)effective center more easily and cheaper than at the perimiter spots.
They will rely a lot on their youth and that is a bumpy season for any team.

ATM, my super early prediction is that they finish 28th in defense and 21th on the offense, with 22/24 wins. Finishing with the 3rd to 5th worst record in the league.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:47:16 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Exactly what they should do. Levert is the future of this team. Lin is gone when his contract ends. Fortunately, Lin is (currently) a better player than Levert.

Okay, I have a request. I've emailed the mods a couple of times and not heard back yet, so I'm hoping that others will help me. The season watch threads have traditionally been stickied in the "Around the NBA" forum, which is where they truly belong. This one is going to get lost in Celtics Talk. Could you take a moment and send a request to get the thread moved?

Thanks!
Mike
As the creator of this thread, I'd love to help but how can I contact the mods?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2017, 02:58:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Keep an eye on their thin frontcourt. Tallest guy they have is an injury prone Mozgov. Their 2nd biggest guy is a poor mens DMC, Trevor Booker. He is listed at only 6'8".

Maybe they will play super small spread out offense more than often, but still they will suffer for the size deficiency on the defensive end. We felt it on our skin how is to go skilled and small. They have much less skill and fewer defensive guards. Nets probably also feel that they can get an (half)effective center more easily and cheaper than at the perimiter spots.

ATM, my super early prediction is that they finish 28th in defense and 21th on the offense, with 22/24 wins. Finishing with the 3rd to 5th worst record in the league.
Imo they'll be the worst, their bigs are really bad and bigs are starting to make a comeback in the league, all tanking teams have at least a big man who can take advantage of the Nets' weak ass frontcourt.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Thanks!
Mike

I hit the "report to mod" button in the lower right, but that doesn't seem to have worked. Maybe PM the first moderator that you come across in this or another thread? TP for the effort.

Mike

« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Imo they'll be the worst, their bigs are really bad and bigs are starting to make a comeback in the league, all tanking teams have at least a big man who can take advantage of the Nets' weak ass frontcourt.

Every time I think, "Well, they clearly improved their back court and LeVert looks like he could be a real player," I have to remind myself that they also lost BLopez. Last year, they won a lot of games because their 1-3s shot a ton of threes, and math says that there will be games when a disproportionate number go in. This year, with less of a threat underneath, defenses will be more focused on their outside shooters.

Mike

« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2017, 10:29:19 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

22-24 wins is extremely optimistic. Vegas has them at 20, my guess is Pelton has them less than that. When your salvation is Mozgov and Lin, you're going to be awful. I think they could be a 15-win squad easily..

« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Thanks!
Mike

I hit the "report to mod" button in the lower right, but that doesn't seem to have worked. Maybe PM the first moderator that you come across in this or another thread? TP for the effort.

Mike
Thanks I will. TP back at you, here's hoping we get Bagley and Porter!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Thanks!
Mike

Mike
Thanks I will. TP back at you, here's hoping we get Bagley and Porter!

Agreed, but promise me Bagley and I'll take anyone else with him. :)

Mike

« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Pinned in Around the League, woo! I'm looking forward to another year of the Brooklyn Celtics  ;D

« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2017, 12:58:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Every time I think, "Well, they clearly improved their back court and LeVert looks like he could be a real player," I have to remind myself that they also lost BLopez. Last year, they won a lot of games because their 1-3s shot a ton of threes, and math says that there will be games when a disproportionate number go in. This year, with less of a threat underneath, defenses will be more focused on their outside shooters.

Mike
Brook Lopez led the Nets in 3 point attempts last year.  He was not an under the rim type player. 

I expect the Nets to be one of the three worst teams in the East right there with Chicago and Atlanta somewhere in the lot to mid 20's for wins for all three of those teams. 

I mean the Nets basically return their entire rotation except Lopez and Foye (they had Bogdanovic for 55ish games before trading him as well), but they've added Russell, Crabbe, Mozgov, and Carroll, along with Allen and I would expect Lin to play more than 31 games.  That just strikes me as far more additions then subtractions, so the Nets should be a much improved team, though I wouldn't expect it to show all that much in the win column.  I would however take the over on 20 wins.

PG - Lin, Whitehead, Dinwiddle
SG - Russell, Crabbe, Kilpatrick, Harris
SF - LeVert, RHJ
PF - Booker, Carroll, Acy
C - Mozgov, Allen

Lacks size and I really have no idea how they will work their PG, SG, or SF rotations or positions, but they should be a team that can run and run a lot.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

22-24 wins is extremely optimistic. Vegas has them at 20, my guess is Pelton has them less than that. When your salvation is Mozgov and Lin, you're going to be awful. I think they could be a 15-win squad easily..
Lopez gave that team a lot offensively in ways of spacing the floor, opening up lanes, and unclogging the paint. Defensively he is pretty good, besides getting low rebounds, but he is big and long (7'6'' wingspan and 9'5'' standing reach).
Without Lopez the team will be running into each other and the "bigs" will clog the paint and lanes. Even if they go small (relying on the 3) Lin, Russell, Crabbe/Lavert, D. Carrol, Mozgov; they will get killed defensively and no one player is good enough to demand an automatic double team.