Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87408 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Doubtful unless their D improves massively. The leagues worst defensive team averages about 20 wins in the NBA. 2nd and 3rd worst average 24. Something special will need to happen for them to climb out of the bottom 3

That something special might be losing Russell, (-2.2 DPM), Louis Williams (-2.1 DPM) and Nick Young (-2.2 DPM). Clarkson is still there, but having 4 awful defenders sure didn't help the backcourt.

Those three guys played ~80MPG last year for the Lakers and were arguably the worst defensive guards in the league, now replaced with KCP and Ball.

Lopez FWIW has been about neutral on defense, not terrible- and is definitely a bigger net positive than Mozgov. He defends the rim well at least.

« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Doubtful unless their D improves massively. The leagues worst defensive team averages about 20 wins in the NBA. 2nd and 3rd worst average 24. Something special will need to happen for them to climb out of the bottom 3

That something special might be losing Russell, (-2.2 DPM), Louis Williams (-2.1 DPM) and Nick Young (-2.2 DPM). Clarkson is still there, but having 4 awful defenders sure didn't help the backcourt.

Those three guys played ~80MPG last year for the Lakers and were arguably the worst defensive guards in the league, now replaced with KCP and Ball.

Lopez FWIW has been about neutral on defense, not terrible- and is definitely a bigger net positive than Mozgov. He defends the rim well at least.

Ball will be far and away the worst defensive guard in the league this year, might not even be able to stay on the court. He will be put in P&Rs every game and tortured until Walton will have no choice but to put in whatever scrub they sign off the scrap heap as his back-up.

KCP to me just isnt the elite defender hes made out to be but he will be a help. Hiding Ball with KCP may work but I'd guess teams will just force switches until they have Ball on an island, and a clear path to the hoop. Lopez may also help but the problem is the Lakers were so bad defensively it will take a quantum leap to get out of the basement, like signing a prime Scottie Pippen and KG

« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
IDK, I'm somewhat more worried about the Nets than Lakers.  The bottom of the east is bad, probably worse than the past couple years.  The Hawks, Pacers, Bulls, and Knicks (if they trade Melo) maybe a surprise team like the Pistons or Magic could all challenge the Nets for worst team in the east. Especially if they sell off veterans for picks by the trade deadline and tank the rest of the season in a loaded top 5 draft.

Yes, with all things being equal the Lakers have a better team than the Nets, but they play most of their games in a stacked western conference where it appears even the other non playoff teams Nuggets, Wolves, Pelicans, Mavs, even the Kings and Suns have improved.  I could see the Jazz falling apart.  I can't see the Lakers record being much better than last year.

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Ball will be far and away the worst defensive guard in the league this year, might not even be able to stay on the court. He will be put in P&Rs every game and tortured until Walton will have no choice but to put in whatever scrub they sign off the scrap heap as his back-up.

KCP to me just isnt the elite defender hes made out to be but he will be a help. Hiding Ball with KCP may work but I'd guess teams will just force switches until they have Ball on an island, and a clear path to the hoop. Lopez may also help but the problem is the Lakers were so bad defensively it will take a quantum leap to get out of the basement, like signing a prime Scottie Pippen and KG

What evidence do you have that Ball will be a worse defender than Russell, Young, Clarkson or Williams? Those 4 were historically bad, averaging 11 boards, 4 steals and 1 block in 108 MPG combined and every one of them -2 DPM or worse. Ball is likely to exceed every one of them in rebounds, steals and blocks and is the tallest of the bunch for switching on SGs. Not saying he'll be a great defender, but I don't see any reason he'd be worse than any of them. His backup is going to be Clarkson, or possibly Josh Hart who went in the 1st round.

KCP could be overrated defensively, but he's at least 2 steps above any of those guys as well.

If the Lakers signed a prime KG they'd make the playoffs. As it is, their defense should improve.

« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Will just say that we are getting two top 5 picks next year. No doubt in my mind, regardless of all the drama that will occur in this thread during next season. Brooklyn and LA are just that bad.

« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Will just say that we are getting two top 5 picks next year. No doubt in my mind, regardless of all the drama that will occur in this thread during next season. Brooklyn and LA are just that bad.

I am being the pessimist here, but what is the best case scenario for our lottery %? BRK first and LAL 2nd? There still are 1/5 (19.9%) chances LAL gets the first pick. The chances that this combines with BRK getting the 4th (35.7) are roughly 1/15.

Even with the best  season results, there is a significant chance we end up being disappointed, assuming the expectation is what I've read repeatedly in the Forums these days (two top 5 picks).

« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I am being the pessimist here, but what is the best case scenario for our lottery %? BRK first and LAL 2nd? There still are 1/5 (19.9%) chances LAL gets the first pick. The chances that this combines with BRK getting the 4th (35.7) are roughly 1/15.

Even with the best  season results, there is a significant chance we end up being disappointed, assuming the expectation is what I've read repeatedly in the Forums these days (two top 5 picks).
If Brooklyn is worst and LA is second worst, we'd have an 80% chance at 2 top 5 picks.

I feel pretty confident that Brooklyn will be no better than the third worst team in the league. Locking them into a top 6 selection. Where LA goes is a bigger question mark.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

Clearly we want BKN #1. Nothing to lose there, as it's the best pick possible and anything top-3 is guaranteed to stay top-6 anyway.

Lakers as high as possible but theoretically #3 or #4 could be more "safe" in terms of conveyance.

#1 pick: 25% chance of #1, 75% chance of 2-4
#2 pick: 20% chance of #1, 80% chance of 2-5
#3 pick: 16% chance of #1, 84% chance of 2-6
#4 pick: 12% chance of #1, 86% chance of 2-6, 2% chance of #7*

* Roughly:
28% chance of 1st pick going to any team in 5-14 position
~25% chance of the next pick doing the same
~23% chance of the next pick doing the same

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2017, 12:16:00 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
^ good points. Will post in Lakers thread

« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Portland has traded Allen Crabbe to Brooklyn for Andrew Nicholson, league sources tell ESPN.

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
since the GM change the Nets are doing really good job, they are headed into the right direction

« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Great move by both teams

« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Portland has traded Allen Crabbe to Brooklyn for Andrew Nicholson, league sources tell ESPN.

can someone tell me why brooklyn did this? unless there's a pick involved, why did they want to just absorb the crabbe contract?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

can someone tell me why brooklyn did this? unless there's a pick involved, why did they want to just absorb the crabbe contract?

because they can not use their cap space on better player, it's not like star players are lining to play for the Nets. Crabbe is a nice player who will get more minutes there and he will be very useful in building their young core. Plus Boston owns their 18 pick so no point in tanking.

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Because they think Allen Crabbe is a good basketball player, and they'll be paying him a net of $12 million a year (when you take the difference of his contract and Nicholson's).  They think Crabbe is worth $12 million a year (approximately) for three more years.

I mostly agree.  Much more upside than downside at his age, and you might discover he's ready for a leading role.  And if he's not, he's reasonably paid for a 6th man.