Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87482 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
In that Bogdanovic trade with Washington, Andrew Nicholson looks like a bad contract that they took on along with the Wizards lottery protected pick (#22). He has 19.9 million and three years left.

Edit: Didn't realize the second rounder they got along with Carroll and the 1st is an early 2nd though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:26:34 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Magic got better with simmons signing.  Magic were one of only 3-4 teams that I thought would be worse than the Lakers (even with KCP). Nets and Bulls are the only teams that are clearly worse than the Lakers now imo.

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2017, 06:51:42 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Magic got better with simmons signing.  Magic were one of only 3-4 teams that I thought would be worse than the Lakers (even with KCP). Nets and Bulls are the only teams that are clearly worse than the Lakers now imo.

Hawks?  Bulls?  Suns?  Kings?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2017, 06:56:11 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Not the Kings, they've has a great off-season.  Maybe not the Suns either.

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Not the Kings, they've has a great off-season.  Maybe not the Suns either.

I was going to say this, but the Kings' FO can always ruin things  ;D

From what the rosters are now, it's quite safe to say we'll land a top-8 pick.

« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

The Bulls should be pretty terrible.

I think the Suns/Kings will show some improvement as their young players grow (Suns) + FA additions they made (Kings).

Not sure where I stand with the Hawks. They won't be anywhere as good as last year but they still have some nice players (Schroder/Bazemore/Prince/Collins) and a good coach. Don't think they will be as bad as everyone thinks.

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2017, 01:47:48 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
BROOKLYN (July 21, 2017) – The Brooklyn Nets have signed Yakuba Ouattara to a two-way contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

http://www.nba.com/nets/news/2017/07/21/nets-sign-yakuba-ouattara-two-way-contract

ESPN's Fran Fraschilla said the Brooklyn Nets are at @thetournament (in Brooklyn) today watching former #Buckeyes big man Jared Sullinger.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Hope/status/888802389435834368

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

.. And Pacers and Mavericks.

The Lakers will be bad, but I would bet they are 6-10 bad not 1-5 bad.

Again it's still a lottery though

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mavericks are significantly better than the Lakers.  It's not even close.

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2017, 02:28:05 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

People need to take a gander at the Lakers roster. They will be starting the worst defensive guard and C in the league. Brandon Ingram and Julius Randle will be relied on for heavy minutes and scoring. KCP will be their best 2-way player. They will be abysmal

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I'm not seeing the Mavericks being a lot better than anyone. They have a rookie PG with Barnes as their #1 option, and a 39 year-old Dirk in the starting lineup. Noel clogging up the lane on offense. No bench (Seth Curry?).

Lonzo Ball ~ Dennis Smith
KCP ~ Barnes
Ingram ~ Matthews
Randle ~ 39 year-old Dirk
Lopez ~ Noel

Both teams should lose a lot of games, but I'm not seeing the big discrepancy between the two.

Lakers won 26 games last year and swapped Russell, Young, L Williams, Mozgov for Ball, KCP and Lopez. Randle, Ingram, Zubac should all be expected to only improve.

Mavericks won 33 games last year and swapped Deron Williams for Dennis Smith and more games with Noel (who I like, but really hurts to play as a starter with a weak offense).

« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

I'm not seeing the Mavericks being a lot better than anyone. They have a rookie PG with Barnes as their #1 option, and a 39 year-old Dirk in the starting lineup. Noel clogging up the lane on offense. No bench (Seth Curry?).

KCP ~ Barnes
Ingram ~ Matthews
Lopez ~ Noel

Both teams should lose a lot of games, but I'm not seeing the big discrepancy between the two.

Lakers won 26 games last year and swapped Russell, Young, L Williams, Mozgov for Ball, KCP and Lopez. Randle, Ingram, Zubac should all be expected to only improve.

Mavericks won 33 games last year and swapped Deron Williams for Dennis Smith and more games with Noel (who I like, but really hurts to play as a starter with a weak offense).

Lakers overchieved last year given their league-worst defense. They won 5-6 more games than they should have. I'd say 28 wins is their ceiling this year unless the D radically improves..

« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

People need to take a gander at the Lakers roster. They will be starting the worst defensive guard and C in the league. Brandon Ingram and Julius Randle will be relied on for heavy minutes and scoring. KCP will be their best 2-way player. They will be abysmal

Lopez is an above average center, and an upgrade from Mozgov, even if defense isn't his primary trait. Ball should be no worse than Russell. KCP is an upgrade from Nick Young and Louis Williams. Ingram and Randle got heavy minutes last year.

I hope they bomb, but they are better than last year's 26 win team.

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

KCP ~ Barnes
Ingram ~ Matthews
Lopez ~ Noel

Lakers overchieved last year given their league-worst defense. They won 5-6 more games than they should have. I'd say 28 wins is their ceiling this year unless the D radically improves..

I think 5-6 games is a stretch, but I see your point. Some teams have more volatility that the stats would predict. So maybe they are 5-10 games more talented this year, but their luck may even out in the other direction.

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Lopez is an above average center, and an upgrade from Mozgov, even if defense isn't his primary trait. Ball should be no worse than Russell. KCP is an upgrade from Nick Young and Louis Williams. Ingram and Randle got heavy minutes last year.

I hope they bomb, but they are better than last year's 26 win team.

Doubtful unless their D improves massively. The leagues worst defensive team averages about 20 wins in the NBA. 2nd and 3rd worst average 24. Something special will need to happen for them to climb out of the bottom 3