Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87421 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 05:34:11 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Is there any inside tracking to link Otto Porter with the Nets? I think the Wizards will try to keep their core together after their moderate success this season (hopefully, reaching conference semifinals and losing in four games  ;D)

I think they'll get fine free agents, but not Porter's level. I also hope they trade Brook Lopez for a first and go full youth movement.

EDIT: About Doncic, he is wonderful and has a tremendous upside, but we need some bigs and not wings (for now, if we get Millsap or Griffin maybe it changes)
We should always draft BPA...especially at the top of the draft. Though IMO next years draft will have good bigs. I use to love Ayton but he has not progressed since his sophmore year. He use to remind me of a players with the length and athleticism that also possessed the skills of a Karl Towns(But longer and bigger) but he has not improved on his game the way that Towns and Turner and other good big's did. Ayton is going to Arizona and hopefully they work with him on polishing his game.
Yeah and the BPAs are the bigs (really down on Doncic for no reason, just a gut feeling. I have Porter 1st, Ayton 2nd, Bamba 3rd and Doncic 4th, hopefully we select either one of Porter Ayton and Bamba although Porter is a PF)

As FCO, I'd also draft the best player available, except being very close that I'd try to select a big.

It doesn't matter to pick a PF, as Horford can adapt to PF and C in this stage of his career.

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 06:49:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Is there any inside tracking to link Otto Porter with the Nets? I think the Wizards will try to keep their core together after their moderate success this season (hopefully, reaching conference semifinals and losing in four games  ;D)

I think they'll get fine free agents, but not Porter's level. I also hope they trade Brook Lopez for a first and go full youth movement.

EDIT: About Doncic, he is wonderful and has a tremendous upside, but we need some bigs and not wings (for now, if we get Millsap or Griffin maybe it changes)
We should always draft BPA...especially at the top of the draft. Though IMO next years draft will have good bigs. I use to love Ayton but he has not progressed since his sophmore year. He use to remind me of a players with the length and athleticism that also possessed the skills of a Karl Towns(But longer and bigger) but he has not improved on his game the way that Towns and Turner and other good big's did. Ayton is going to Arizona and hopefully they work with him on polishing his game.
Yeah and the BPAs are the bigs (really down on Doncic for no reason, just a gut feeling. I have Porter 1st, Ayton 2nd, Bamba 3rd and Doncic 4th, hopefully we select either one of Porter Ayton and Bamba although Porter is a PF)

As FCO, I'd also draft the best player available, except being very close that I'd try to select a big.

It doesn't matter to pick a PF, as Horford can adapt to PF and C in this stage of his career.
Yeah and we've got Zizic and whoever we pick with our second round picks (there are some intriguing big man prospects late in the draft, I can see Ainge trying to nab a guy like Jeanne) at center.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Our legacy and legend is the face of our franchise. Immortal players that win championsips.
IT is not on the same par with a PP, can't play D in the playoffs against someone like the Cavs where we can't hide him.  IT is our best player but also does not have to share being a scorer with anyone because he's the only player who can create on the team. If we are going to win a championship we can't hide our best player for half the game while paying himm the MAX, especially when he will already be 29 and undersized....especially if we draft a superstar pg #1 overal and the guy we just picked #3 overall is ready.....that's my opinion.

Also, the "we can't trade the face of our franchise" argument was used with RR all the time....we still traded him for a protected pick though. And that's the same guy who IT was defending in the 1st round (first 2 games at home) that tore this team apart.....on both sides.

I loved Pierce - he and Walker made Celtics bball enjoyable to watch again, but he wouldn't have been anything more than what IT is now if we didn't trade for KG. I obviously don't think you keep a player forever just because he is the face of your franchise, but now that we have a solid team around him (which almost definitely will get better this summer) and are winning in the playoffs makes it kind-of a slam dunk that he will stay.

He is 28, not 35, and is just reaching the prime of his career. He also doesn't have that much mileage on his legs since he played 4 years in college and has remained relatively healthy in his career to this point.
No coach ever had to "HIDE" PP on defense. Even if we look at their stats PP not only averaged 2 steals and 1block per game, but he hovered around that for many seasons...and his defense elevated in the playoffs.  Wait till we play CLE and we can't HIDE IT. PP stepped defensively to players like T-Mac, Lebron, Kobe, and could defend on the switch. IT is not even in same realm as PP defensively.

Look at the pieces PP had around him. Walker could create but he was highly inefficient. The C's only had 2 guys average over 10points, which was the worst in the league and never really improved much till KG and Ray. Still, PP was able to get us into the playoffs a few times and the ECF.....with nothing. Besides drafting PP the front office did almost everything they could to ruin the C's future. Trading Billups and Joe Johnson(JJ 4 Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers).

IT is 28 but like I said when/if we sign him he will be 29. I'm pretty sure we will re-sign him but as a fan I have to be skeptical about a grossly undersized pg that will be up for a 4-5 year deal. IT had a 40'' max vertical in the combine and eventually, like Horford's vertical/jumping ability, his athleticism and speed will decrease. IT plays HARD and that is a good thing but all those bumps and falls take a toll. I will continue to be skeptical of a player that after the age of 29 IMO will return us a bad value for what we pay him....especially if we draft FULTZ
I am with you 100%. Problem is I can't see Danny trading IT, especially if we go past the Wizards and have a competitive series against the Cavs. In any case, if we were to trade him, what could we get for him? Do you believe the Pacers would do Myles Turner for IT straight up? In all honesty, I highly doubt it. What about sending him to the Sixers for Saric and the 2019 Sacramento unprotected first? I mean, it's not like we have plenty of options out there. Any other ideas?
Ya I think they will sign him too. But that does not mean "put on my green goggles" and "IT is a top 10 player", which makes no sense to me because in a 7 game series teams can expose him/we find ways to hide him. But what is great is that he is getting a lot of press and attention/acclaim, which may make him attractive to teams that lost in the playoffs or have hopes of making the playoffs.

IT 4 Myles Turner: this was discussed on here a few days ago and 99.99% said they would rather have IT for next season and then sign him to the max. IMO this is a no brainer and I'd much rather have Turner, especially if we draft Fultz. I don't think Indy would do it unless PG gave them more security bc if he leaves or they decide to trade him they already said they would build around Turner.

Instead of Saric they would be much more willing to give Okafor and it would not cost us IT. IMO Okafor is undervalued and misused and def not close to a finished product.

Jabari is another guy that we could use one of IT/AB/Crowder to get.

A lot depends on what happens in the draft.

Also, 2018 draft we own our own 1st rounder and BKN's
So what you are saying is that Indy probably won't trade us Turner and Philly would be hesitant to include Saric, but we could make a deal with the Bucks for Jabari. Meh... I wouldn't touch Jabari with a ten-foot pole. His injury history just scares me. In any case, I think we both agree that while Danny would be wise to explore the market for IT, his trade value might not be that high after all. I mean, how many teams are gonna offer him a 4 year max next year? And how many would be willing to trade for him this summer, knowing that it may end up being a one-year rental?

That being said, I would also do the Turner trade in a heartbeat. Heck, I would even throw in a non-Brooklyn first if I had to. The Sixers trade is an intriguing possibility as well. That 2019 Sacramento pick has a huge value on its own, plus we would free up $3,838,834 in cap space to go after Hayward.

Fultz - Smart
Bradley - Brown
Hayward - Crowder
Saric - Yabu
Horford - Zizic

This team is full of young players and has the potential to go all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals, just like the team we have this year. If we use the 2018 Nets pick to draft a long term replacement for Horford (Ayton / Bamba?) we may end up with a contending roster for the next decade or so.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:03:33 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

IMO Horford is too slow to guard stretch-4s on the perimeter. I think in this stage of his career he is just a center.

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
This summer we are going to add a quality free agent plus a top four pick.
Very exciting.

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Doncic and Fultz would be the most breathtaking back court

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Too early to know the top picks next year?

What names should I be looking up.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Just want to be on page 1 of what is sure to be the longest thread next season.

Possibly the only useful post I've had since I started posting here:

Go into your profile. Click on Modify Profile. Click on Look and Layout. Scroll down to "Messages to Display Per Page." Change it to 50.

Presto, you're back on Page 1!

Mike

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Just want to be on page 1 of what is sure to be the longest thread next season.
Almost, but no bananas.  ;D

But I will join you on page two of the longest thread.

And for fun, I predict a bottom 6 finish for the nets. Woo woo.  Look out lottery here we come!

;D

TP to all you page 2 guys from a page one guy. ;D

And there's nothing wrong with being a second banana!!!!!

Ha ha, reciprocal!!  Of course 60's got on page 1!!!

My prediction: Nets finish with 4th worst record.

Bonus prediction: We get the number 1 pick out of it.

Think positive, baby..

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
I'm worried that the Sac Kings give BKN some serious competition. And I didn't realize just how bad the Kings' front office has been until I saw all of the trades on one page, and it doesn't even list the Cousins trade.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/5/3/15531570/worst-trade-sacramento-kings-history-isaiah-thomas-jj-hickson-jimmer-fredette-philadelphia-76ers

Mike

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Not too early at all.  nbadraft.net is perfect but you get a sense of the top prospects here.  The good thing is that the top has more bigs and less guards than this year.  There is also a really intriguing Euro in Luka Doncic.  Michael Porter getting a lot of pub as well.  I'd compare him to a Chris Bosh type.  Some say KG but he's not THAT good IMO.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Don't trade that pick.

There are some intriguing unicorns that appear available.

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I'm worried that the Sac Kings give BKN some serious competition. And I didn't realize just how bad the Kings' front office has been until I saw all of the trades on one page, and it doesn't even list the Cousins trade.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/5/3/15531570/worst-trade-sacramento-kings-history-isaiah-thomas-jj-hickson-jimmer-fredette-philadelphia-76ers

Mike

The kings at least have some prospects moving forward with Hield, Lab, WCS, and Papa plus two top 10 picks in this deep draft. They will be much better than Brooklyn just for actually having assets.

Now will they trade them away for almost nothing later on? Most likely.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike

The kings at least have some prospects moving forward with Hield, Lab, WCS, and Papa plus two top 10 picks in this deep draft. They will be much better than Brooklyn just for actually having assets.

Now will they trade them away for almost nothing later on? Most likely.

I'm not concerned about anything after this upcoming season. I need their prospects to get good this year. Not sure about that one.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Not too early at all.  nbadraft.net is perfect but you get a sense of the top prospects here.  The good thing is that the top has more bigs and less guards than this year.  There is also a really intriguing Euro in Luka Doncic.  Michael Porter getting a lot of pub as well.  I'd compare him to a Chris Bosh type.  Some say KG but he's not THAT good IMO.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft
Um you're leaving out the bigs, imo the top 3 right now are Ayton, Porter and Bamba (Doncic is 4th in my list). Btw mods please pin this thread
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA