Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87411 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Just want to be on page 1 of what is sure to be the longest thread next season.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Serves me right. Page 2.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Yes! I love this.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
So are the Nets going to just sit Rondae Hollis-Jefferson if they get Porter?  RHJ is like their best player in +/-

We've still got our own pick. Why not tank next season and hope that we get #1 and #2?

;)

Mike
If we get the first pick then it may be best for the team to move on from IT/AB/Smart/Crowder....especially if Jaylen Brown continues to improve and gets to another level in his game. I know you probably were not serious but a lot of people are afraid that we IT and/or AB will either walk after next season or we will have to give the max to IT when he is 29 and obviously already had defensive issues(especially in a 7 game playoff series) and there is the long list of pg's that fade out when they get older and lose athleticism. I wouldn't give them away for nothing or for the sake of tanking though.
If DA thinks Fultz is going to be a star player @pg and if Jaylen is ready to take over, well I'd think this summer would be the best time to get some value back on IT/AB/Crowder.

It's possible (even likely) we trade AB and eventually sign IT to a 4 yr max (instead of 5 yrs), but there is just no way we move on from IT without getting a top 10 player back in return. For better or worse, he is the face of our franchise moving forward so just sit back and enjoy the ride. He is certainly a joy to watch!

As for BKN, I can't imagine things change too much for them. Breaking out of the bottom 5, recordwise, would be an incredible accomplishment which I don't see happening.
Our legacy and legend is the face of our franchise. Immortal players that win championsips.
IT is not on the same par with a PP, can't play D in the playoffs against someone like the Cavs where we can't hide him.  IT is our best player but also does not have to share being a scorer with anyone because he's the only player who can create on the team. If we are going to win a championship we can't hide our best player for half the game while paying himm the MAX, especially when he will already be 29 and undersized....especially if we draft a superstar pg #1 overal and the guy we just picked #3 overall is ready.....that's my opinion.

Also, the "we can't trade the face of our franchise" argument was used with RR all the time....we still traded him for a protected pick though. And that's the same guy who IT was defending in the 1st round (first 2 games at home) that tore this team apart.....on both sides.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
There was some reporting that the Nets were going to go after Caldwell-Pope.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699433-kentavious-caldwell-pope-reportedly-among-brooklyn-nets-top-free-agent-targets

He's restricted but the Nets can offer him up to $103 mil for 4 years and, I guess, they might as well right? Is Detroit going to pay KCP $25 mil a year? I don't know. But I've heard he was a target from a few sources.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Our legacy and legend is the face of our franchise. Immortal players that win championsips.
IT is not on the same par with a PP, can't play D in the playoffs against someone like the Cavs where we can't hide him.  IT is our best player but also does not have to share being a scorer with anyone because he's the only player who can create on the team. If we are going to win a championship we can't hide our best player for half the game while paying himm the MAX, especially when he will already be 29 and undersized....especially if we draft a superstar pg #1 overal and the guy we just picked #3 overall is ready.....that's my opinion.

Also, the "we can't trade the face of our franchise" argument was used with RR all the time....we still traded him for a protected pick though. And that's the same guy who IT was defending in the 1st round (first 2 games at home) that tore this team apart.....on both sides.

I loved Pierce - he and Walker made Celtics bball enjoyable to watch again, but he wouldn't have been anything more than what IT is now if we didn't trade for KG. I obviously don't think you keep a player forever just because he is the face of your franchise, but now that we have a solid team around him (which almost definitely will get better this summer) and are winning in the playoffs makes it kind-of a slam dunk that he will stay.

He is 28, not 35, and is just reaching the prime of his career. He also doesn't have that much mileage on his legs since he played 4 years in college and has remained relatively healthy in his career to this point.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 06:52:27 PM »

• Ray Allen

I loved Pierce - he and Walker made Celtics bball enjoyable to watch again, but he wouldn't have been anything more than what IT is now if we didn't trade for KG. I obviously don't think you keep a player forever just because he is the face of your franchise, but now that we have a solid team around him (which almost definitely will get better this summer) and are winning in the playoffs makes it kind-of a slam dunk that he will stay.

He is 28, not 35, and is just reaching the prime of his career. He also doesn't have that much mileage on his legs since he played 4 years in college and has remained relatively healthy in his career to this point.
No coach ever had to "HIDE" PP on defense. Even if we look at their stats PP not only averaged 2 steals and 1block per game, but he hovered around that for many seasons...and his defense elevated in the playoffs.  Wait till we play CLE and we can't HIDE IT. PP stepped defensively to players like T-Mac, Lebron, Kobe, and could defend on the switch. IT is not even in same realm as PP defensively.

Look at the pieces PP had around him. Walker could create but he was highly inefficient. The C's only had 2 guys average over 10points, which was the worst in the league and never really improved much till KG and Ray. Still, PP was able to get us into the playoffs a few times and the ECF.....with nothing. Besides drafting PP the front office did almost everything they could to ruin the C's future. Trading Billups and Joe Johnson(JJ 4 Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers).

IT is 28 but like I said when/if we sign him he will be 29. I'm pretty sure we will re-sign him but as a fan I have to be skeptical about a grossly undersized pg that will be up for a 4-5 year deal. IT had a 40'' max vertical in the combine and eventually, like Horford's vertical/jumping ability, his athleticism and speed will decrease. IT plays HARD and that is a good thing but all those bumps and falls take a toll. I will continue to be skeptical of a player that after the age of 29 IMO will return us a bad value for what we pay him....especially if we draft FULTZ

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 06:57:11 PM »

• Ray Allen
There was some reporting that the Nets were going to go after Caldwell-Pope.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699433-kentavious-caldwell-pope-reportedly-among-brooklyn-nets-top-free-agent-targets

He's restricted but the Nets can offer him up to $103 mil for 4 years and, I guess, they might as well right? Is Detroit going to pay KCP $25 mil a year? I don't know. But I've heard he was a target from a few sources.
Ya, I heard they will go after KCP too. What we really need is for them to trade Lopez for some prospects and picks.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Almost, but no bananas.  ;D

But I will join you on page two of the longest thread.

And for fun, I predict a bottom 6 finish for the nets. Woo woo.  Look out lottery here we come!

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Almost, but no bananas.  ;D

But I will join you on page two of the longest thread.

And for fun, I predict a bottom 6 finish for the nets. Woo woo.  Look out lottery here we come!

;D

TP to all you page 2 guys from a page one guy. ;D

And there's nothing wrong with being a second banana!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

No coach ever had to "HIDE" PP on defense. Even if we look at their stats PP not only averaged 2 steals and 1block per game, but he hovered around that for many seasons...and his defense elevated in the playoffs.  Wait till we play CLE and we can't HIDE IT. PP stepped defensively to players like T-Mac, Lebron, Kobe, and could defend on the switch. IT is not even in same realm as PP defensively.

Look at the pieces PP had around him. Walker could create but he was highly inefficient. The C's only had 2 guys average over 10points, which was the worst in the league and never really improved much till KG and Ray. Still, PP was able to get us into the playoffs a few times and the ECF.....with nothing. Besides drafting PP the front office did almost everything they could to ruin the C's future. Trading Billups and Joe Johnson(JJ 4 Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers).

IT is 28 but like I said when/if we sign him he will be 29. I'm pretty sure we will re-sign him but as a fan I have to be skeptical about a grossly undersized pg that will be up for a 4-5 year deal. IT had a 40'' max vertical in the combine and eventually, like Horford's vertical/jumping ability, his athleticism and speed will decrease. IT plays HARD and that is a good thing but all those bumps and falls take a toll. I will continue to be skeptical of a player that after the age of 29 IMO will return us a bad value for what we pay him....especially if we draft FULTZ

Trying not to go too off topic of this thread, but I've thought of this too.  If Fultz is as good as projected, and IT declines a little in a couple years I'm still fine with paying IT the max, and here is why.  IT in his early 30s could be one of the best if not the best 6th man in the league while not ideal for a max player is somewhat offset by a cost controlled stud player in Fultz, and you can still play them together.  Think of the old Celtics with Mchale coming off the bench at times.  If IT rapidly declines the last year or 2 of his max deal so be it.  You could use him as part of an expiring contract in a deal.

Back on topic I hope Lopez is traded for a pick because without him they are truly hopeless.

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Way to steal my thread bro  :P

It's a bit early before all the major stuff happens.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I am with you 100%. Problem is I can't see Danny trading IT, especially if we go past the Wizards and have a competitive series against the Cavs. In any case, if we were to trade him, what could we get for him? Do you believe the Pacers would do Myles Turner for IT straight up? In all honesty, I highly doubt it. What about sending him to the Sixers for Saric and the 2019 Sacramento unprotected first? I mean, it's not like we have plenty of options out there. Any other ideas?

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »

• Ray Allen

I am with you 100%. Problem is I can't see Danny trading IT, especially if we go past the Wizards and have a competitive series against the Cavs. In any case, if we were to trade him, what could we get for him? Do you believe the Pacers would do Myles Turner for IT straight up? In all honesty, I highly doubt it. What about sending him to the Sixers for Saric and the 2019 Sacramento unprotected first? I mean, it's not like we have plenty of options out there. Any other ideas?
Ya I think they will sign him too. But that does not mean "put on my green goggles" and "IT is a top 10 player", which makes no sense to me because in a 7 game series teams can expose him/we find ways to hide him. But what is great is that he is getting a lot of press and attention/acclaim, which may make him attractive to teams that lost in the playoffs or have hopes of making the playoffs.

IT 4 Myles Turner: this was discussed on here a few days ago and 99.99% said they would rather have IT for next season and then sign him to the max. IMO this is a no brainer and I'd much rather have Turner, especially if we draft Fultz. I don't think Indy would do it unless PG gave them more security bc if he leaves or they decide to trade him they already said they would build around Turner.

Instead of Saric they would be much more willing to give Okafor and it would not cost us IT. IMO Okafor is undervalued and misused and def not close to a finished product.

Jabari is another guy that we could use one of IT/AB/Crowder to get.

A lot depends on what happens in the draft.

Also, 2018 draft we own our own 1st rounder and BKN's

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 05:16:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Is there any inside tracking to link Otto Porter with the Nets? I think the Wizards will try to keep their core together after their moderate success this season (hopefully, reaching conference semifinals and losing in four games  ;D)

I think they'll get fine free agents, but not Porter's level. I also hope they trade Brook Lopez for a first and go full youth movement.

EDIT: About Doncic, he is wonderful and has a tremendous upside, but we need some bigs and not wings (for now, if we get Millsap or Griffin maybe it changes)
We should always draft BPA...especially at the top of the draft. Though IMO next years draft will have good bigs. I use to love Ayton but he has not progressed since his sophmore year. He use to remind me of a players with the length and athleticism that also possessed the skills of a Karl Towns(But longer and bigger) but he has not improved on his game the way that Towns and Turner and other good big's did. Ayton is going to Arizona and hopefully they work with him on polishing his game.
Yeah and the BPAs are the bigs (really down on Doncic for no reason, just a gut feeling. I have Porter 1st, Ayton 2nd, Bamba 3rd and Doncic 4th, hopefully we select either one of Porter Ayton and Bamba although Porter is a PF)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA