Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87471 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is anyone else nervous about our Nets pick?

I'm sure some are, but I'm not.  Nets will be a bottom 3 team.  We will get a top 5 pick in a class with 5 great prospects.

I mean, the Celtics are big enough to beat the Nets on the interior, and that's not being complimentary to our front court.  They'll win some games because their strategy of chuck 40 3's a game will find a few nights when 18 go in, but on the whole, they have not significantly improved from last year's terrible team.

« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Is anyone else nervous about our Nets pick?

Not me.

I'm surprised the Nets couldn't get Portland to give up a pick as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:32:56 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Indiana, Chicago and Atlanta are the teams that have a shot at the Nets. Maybe Phoenix, simply because they're in the west. SAC got better in the offseason. LAL should be better than the Nets.

The only thing we have working against us is that the Nets have no reason to tank. The first four above do.

We're looking good.

Mike

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Indiana, Chicago and Atlanta are the teams that have a shot at the Nets. Maybe Phoenix, simply because they're in the west. SAC got better in the offseason. LAL should be better than the Nets.

The only thing we have working against us is that the Nets have no reason to tank. The first four above do.

We're looking good.

Mike
As has been pointed out many times, the nets had no reason to tank last year, or the year before.  But they still stunk.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

We're looking good.

Mike
As has been pointed out many times, the nets had no reason to tank last year, or the year before.  But they still stunk.

Or the year before when they lost their last 10.

But for some reason people will keep beating that drum like it means something.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2017, 07:32:32 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

We're looking good.

Mike

Yup, I'm well aware. They still stink.

I'm less concerned about the Nets stinking. I'm more concerned, though, about the cluster of teams at the bottom and how close it could be. I agree with you, it has not been an issue in the past. This year, I think it will be more narrow.

As the 2018 draft stands now, the first pick will be great, but there are a bunch of players at the top. If Bagley reclassifies, we have a potential superstar which could further encourage tanking.

Is it a big deal? Probably not. Does it fall under the category of something that could potentially work against us? Yup.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:41:40 AM by mef730 »

« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20155116/the-portland-trail-blazers-trading-guard-allen-crabbe-brooklyn-nets-sources-said
They just added another player Allen Crabbe to the mix. They will have a better bench.

LOL at the worst team in the league having a "better bench".
Benchs win games ask Cleveland when they were beat by Atlanta's bench. The Celtics Bench won us some games last year, too
The Nets are going to surprise some people. They upgraded and got rid of a bad contract. Marks is a smart cookie. After this year I hope the do great!!! This could cause us no. 5 instead of 4.

LOL what on earth. Crabbe is a garbage contract that Portland unloaded on these poor saps and the Nets didnt even get a pick out of it. If the Celtics made this trash trade Ainge would be getting murdered.
The Nets and Celtics are at two places.
The Nets have the cap space they were below the line. They like Crabbe they offered the contract last year. They must see something. Crabbe played behind two awesome guards. He is  good enough to start in a 30 team league for sure. LOL at you too. They did get rid of 26 mil with Nicholson. So they only added 31 Million for three years and they had the money. Was Zeller worth the money last year no but you have to get to a certain salary as a team and the Nets did this with the trade.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2017, 09:58:27 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

We're looking good.

Mike

Yup, I'm well aware. They still stink.

I'm less concerned about the Nets stinking. I'm more concerned, though, about the cluster of teams at the bottom and how close it could be. I agree with you, it has not been an issue in the past. This year, I think it will be more narrow.

As the 2018 draft stands now, the first pick will be great, but there are a bunch of players at the top. If Bagley reclassifies, we have a potential superstar which could further encourage tanking.

Is it a big deal? Probably not. Does it fall under the category of something that could potentially work against us? Yup.

Mike
This is a good point. The Nets are going to stink, but if the Hawks, Pacers, Bulls, and Magic all stink too (and throw in the Hornets, Knicks, and Sixers as possible garbage teams as well if things don't break right at the start) there could be a group of 5-6 bad teams at the bottom of the East all within a couple of games of one another. Throw in some bottom-feeders from the West and maybe Brooklyn wins 25 games but winds up with the 7th best odds at the lottery because there are 6 teams that win between 22-24.

It's just as likely that Brooklyn winds up at the bottom of that pool but it will be something to watch for. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
They did get rid of 26 mil with Nicholson. So they only added 31 Million for three years and they had the money.

Nicholson has three years, 19.9 million left.

This is a good point. The Nets are going to stink, but if the Hawks, Pacers, Bulls, and Magic all stink too (and throw in the Hornets, Knicks, and Sixers as possible garbage teams as well if things don't break right at the start) there could be a group of 5-6 bad teams at the bottom of the East all within a couple of games of one another.

Except for Chicago, I like all of those rosters better than Brooklyn's.

« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
double post

« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

They did get rid of 26 mil with Nicholson. So they only added 31 Million for three years and they had the money.

Nicholson has three years, 19.9 million left.

Correct i added last year still they did give up a bad player for a better player and they had to take on some salary. We shall see how he does this year. If Portland stretches Nicholson all money wasted.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2017, 02:36:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The Nets Big 3 of Russell, Mosgov and Hollis Jefferson (Booker? Crabbe? Lin?) Is not exactly striking fear in the hearts of many NBA opponents.

This team may not earn the most ping-pong balls but they'll surely be in the running.

« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Crabbe shot 44% from 3 this past season and could be more productive with more shots. He also is long enough to play the 3, same thing with Lavert. The Nets are going small and will probably start Carrol at the 4 and Mozgov at the 5.

Losing Lopez changes things for them though. Lopez stretched the floor and made it easier for teammates to take it to the rim w/o a big clogging the lane. Lopez gave them production from a very rare position in the league. They don't have that anymore.

« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Crabbe shot 44% from 3 this past season and could be more productive with more shots. He also is long enough to play the 3, same thing with Lavert. The Nets are going small and will probably start Carrol at the 4 and Mozgov at the 5.

Losing Lopez changes things for them though. Lopez stretched the floor and made it easier for teammates to take it to the rim w/o a big clogging the lane. Lopez gave them production from a very rare position in the league. They don't have that anymore.

This sentence is why no one should be worried about the Nets.  The Nets have decent number of rotational (albeit not-starter level) wings and guards but they have no frontcourt.

« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

This sentence is why no one should be worried about the Nets.  The Nets have decent number of rotational (albeit not-starter level) wings and guards but they have no frontcourt.

That was actually going to be my question. Last year, the Nets won a few games because teams had to guard against Lopez, leaving the guards open for 3s. Math working the way it does, sometimes they hit an obnoxiously high number of them. With no Lopez in the picture, how does that affect their guard play?

Mike