Author Topic: Orioles' Adam Jones Berated by Racist Taunts at Fenway Park  (Read 28217 times)

Re: Orioles' Adam Jones Berated by Racist Taunts at Fenway Park
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2017, 01:31:47 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Stipulate that he was called it. What would your reaction be?

I strongly condemn that type of language and behavior. I reject all forms of collectivism, racism is the ugliest.

Great.

And if he was called it, then would you think the team apologizing and the crowd cheering him the next night is an appropriate response?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:46 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

I strongly condemn that type of language and behavior. I reject all forms of collectivism, racism is the ugliest.

Great.

And if he was called it, then would you think the team apologizing and the crowd cheering him the next night is an appropriate response?

I reject all forms of collectivism, individuals should own their own mistakes. Speaking hypothetically, Red Sox ownership and fans are not responsible for what a drunk idiot from out of town says. Freedom of speech should always be upheld as sacrosanct. The 1st amendment is not in place so we can discuss the weather, it is there so we can say very controversial things. The Red Sox as a private entity are responsible for putting together a policy that discourages that type of behavior. That's all they can do. So no, Red Sox and fans are not responsible.

But for sake and hope of you arriving at your point, I'll say, "Yes".
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2017, 02:07:43 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Great.

I reject all forms of collectivism, individuals should own their own mistakes. Speaking hypothetically, Red Sox ownership and fans are not responsible for what a drunk idiot from out of town says. Freedom of speech should always be upheld as sacrosanct. The 1st amendment is not in place so we can discuss the weather, it is there so we can say very controversial things. The Red Sox as a private entity are responsible for putting together a policy that discourages that type of behavior. That's all they can do. So no, Red Sox and fans are not responsible.

But for sake and hope of you arriving at your point, I'll say, "Yes".

Good.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Adam Jones was given a warm applause today. Classy move by many fans to hopefully make a bigger impact than the terrible things said by a couple of jerks.

The problem with an incident like this is that one or two people can have more of an impact than 28,000 other baseball fans. No one cares about how the polite people acted. We jump to focus on the jerks.

I think that racist people are despicable. I also think that blanketing the city as racist is silly.

Agreed. I have zero ties to the city of Boston, other than being a lifelong diehard C's fan. Using that word is deplorable, and I immediately lose all respect for people that are racist. That being said, there are racist people all over the world, from all ethnicities and all religions. To draw a link between this incident and the entire city of Boston is completely ignorant. 

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 05:31:05 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Has any journalist in Boston been able to find a fan on the record to corroborate Adam Jones story? Are they even trying?

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 05:34:17 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Gotta love Kirk Minihane, one guy in town asking questions:

"Out of curiosity, did anyone at Fenway last night confirm this? Was it on social media? Any actual proof? Is it OK to ask questions?"

"Not saying it happened or it didn't, but the rush to condemn Boston w/no proof is chilling. And, of course, the pandering is off the charts."

"Twitter has made everyone afraid to doubt, to ask questions. If some Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. called Jones that I hope his life is ruined. Just want proof."

"Defend what? Not defending anything. All I'm saying is I've watched journalists report this with zero proof and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. all over Boston again."

https://twitter.com/kirkmin

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 06:32:58 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Jones said ~60 were saying racist ****, which is almost certainly an exaggeration but not one you can blame him for.
He said he heard 59-60 people were ejected. Which is evidently false, but also a great Twitter bite.

Which brings me back to the main point of today's conversation: who's going to pony up for Betts' HBP now that Jones effectively took himself out of the running?  ;D ;D ;D
thanks for the correction.

can you imagine if we gave Jones a standing-O and then beaned him with the first pitch?

hilarious

Id throw at Machado again. **** that guy.
And so they did. I wonder whether the umpires will issue warnings before the game even starts today.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Mike Lupica found a witness:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/227811194/adam-jones-fenway-park-racism-fans

So the 1 witness the media was able to find, of the 34,000 people in attendance, has been totally discredited. No witness, no video, no proof whatsoever. Yet, let's all just accept Jones' story as fact.

Isn't journalism about being skeptical and questioning everything to uncover the truth? This is the biggest story in the country right now, based on a tale from an emotional SJW baseball player after a heated game, and it makes our city look terrible! Nary a whimper from the majority of Bostonians and Boston media. It's pathetic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:06:45 PM by JSD »

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/227811194/adam-jones-fenway-park-racism-fans

So the 1 witness the media was able to find, of the 34,000 people in attendance, has been totally discredited. No witness, no video, no proof whatsoever. Yet, let's all just accept Jones' story as fact.

There is proof: Jones' statement. Plenty of crimes are proven without corroboration.

I haven't seen where this kid was discredited, but what about Sam Kennedy saying Sox players have heard slurs?

Why are you so surprised that one drunken idiot out of 35,000 people used racist language? I'd be shocked if there was only one moron acting like a buffoon.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Isn't journalism about being skeptical and questioning everything to uncover the truth? This is the biggest story in the country right now, based on a tale from an emotional SJW baseball player after a heated game, and it makes our city look terrible! Nary a whimper from the majority of Bostonians and Boston media. It's pathetic.

I find it weird that you're trying to poke holes in the story, as oppose to just assuming that Jones wasn't hearing voices in his own head.

If one person was yelling at Jones, that shouldn't say anything about Boston. A reasonable person can understand that one person doesn't represent all fans.

I wouldn't worry about people making blanket statements about Bostonians. I also wouldn't worry about people who make blanket statement against blacks, liberals, etc. It's nearly impossible to make a valid point about a group by lumping everyone together.

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
One thing that is rubbing me the wrong way is several African-American players, commentators, etc. from all over the country are taking this opportunity to tell everybody that Boston is the only place they have ever been called the 'n' word. I just don't think this is true and it is painting a city, with essentially no slums and very progressive public service programs, in a very bad light.

I agree with others that racism is everywhere and a few bad seeds do not ruin a whole region. Good for Sox fans for the standing ovation, although this will likely not change the perception that Boston is racist.

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 01:40:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One thing that is rubbing me the wrong way is several African-American players, commentators, etc. from all over the country are taking this opportunity to tell everybody that Boston is the only place they have ever been called the 'n' word. I just don't think this is true and it is painting a city, with essentially no slums and very progressive public service programs, in a very bad light.

I agree with others that racism is everywhere and a few bad seeds do not ruin a whole region. Good for Sox fans for the standing ovation, although this will likely not change the perception that Boston is racist.

I'm surprised by that, too. There are drunken racist idiots all over the place. Heck, this week's Sports Illustrated's cover story has an anecdote about a baseball phenom being called the N-word at a high school game in California (I think).

I will say, a lot of stadiums have friendlier crowds than the bleachers at Fenway. Those sections are in no way family friendly, and the team should start cleaning it up. But, I'm skeptical that other cities have solved the problem of drunken morons saying vile things.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As a gay male, I realize Boston/Massachusetts has been instrumental in advancing rights for the LGBT community. However, until recently (2015), a group of gay/ transgender veterans called 'OutVets' were not even allowed to march in the Saint Patrick's Day parade. And they were even denied that right this year until they were strongly encouraged not to let that happen.

But after the organizers voted 9 to 4 to exclude OutVets, council members came under increasing pressure to reconsider. Top politicians in the state, including the governor, Charlie Baker, and the mayor of Boston, Martin J. Walsh, announced they would skip the parade.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/11/us/boston-st-patricks-day-parade-gay-veterans-group.html

That is just insane, veterans who served our country were denied the right to march in a freakin' parade because they are gay...in Boston, the birthplace of gay marriage, no less.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:50:08 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jones said ~60 were saying racist ****, which is almost certainly an exaggeration but not one you can blame him for.
He said he heard 59-60 people were ejected. Which is evidently false, but also a great Twitter bite.

Which brings me back to the main point of today's conversation: who's going to pony up for Betts' HBP now that Jones effectively took himself out of the running?  ;D ;D ;D
thanks for the correction.

can you imagine if we gave Jones a standing-O and then beaned him with the first pitch?

hilarious

Id throw at Machado again. **** that guy.
And so they did. I wonder whether the umpires will issue warnings before the game even starts today.
hahaha and then he threw a hissy fit.

Machado is like a slightly less talented A-Rod. So Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing hateable. wouldnt mind if we threw at him again today just for good measure.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.