Author Topic: Orioles' Adam Jones Berated by Racist Taunts at Fenway Park  (Read 28211 times)

Re: Orioles' Adam Jones Berated by Racist Taunts at Fenway Park
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I simply do not believe someone used racist language toward Jones. With all the other fans around and everyone with smart phones. I don't believe it until I actually see and hear it.  I do believe that some numb nuts did throw peanuts at him but that alone doesn't mean its a racist act, it just means the bonehead didn't have anything else to throw.  The media is too quick to jump on this a a racist incident.

Greg

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 05:11:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
People on SoSH have been calling for the crowd to give a standing ovation to Jones. Mookie Betts tweeted the same suggestion. I love the idea. I think if the fans do it thunderously enough it could turn an awful moment in Boston sports history into a proud moment.
People should be talking about which Oriole will be getting drilled tonight. Bleh.

You should care more about what prospective free agents and trade targets are talking about tonight as they watch the Celtics. Fortunately the timing of the games makes it possible for the crowd cheering Jones to be the thing being talked about in the news cycle and grapevine an hour before tipoff, the thing those Possible Future Celtics will remember more about Boston fans. Baseball codes of honor should not be on your mind. This will affect all sports in the city, too, not just the Celtics. What happens in the next several hours could affect all our teams' chances at recruiting players, could sink or could save our city's reputation around the nation.
Fortunately, accidents like this have about zero bearing on the stuff you're worried about. What happened affects about as much as those "Ozzie mows Wrigley Field" t-shirts several years ago.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I got some inside information. 34 kicked out that's somewhat normal. Mostly for smoking weed, Fighting, only 1 guy was yelling racist stuff and through Peanuts at him.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I got some inside information. 34 kicked out that's somewhat normal. Mostly for smoking weed, Fighting, only 1 guy was yelling racist stuff and through Peanuts at him.
according to the red sox GM, 0 people were thrown out for racist stuff.

9 were thrown out for a fight, 20 for "drunkenness", 2 for weed, 2 for language that was specifically not racist, 1 for throwing peanuts at Jones.

Kennedy said 2-3 people have been tossed for language "in the past year or so"

Now you can be encouraged by this, but you must also understand that while the 2-3 in the past year quote is probably meant to be a positive it also means that they dont toss most of the racist Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s, which is obviously distressing.

Jones said ~60 were saying racist Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., which is almost certainly an exaggeration but not one you can blame him for.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 05:23:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Jones said ~60 were saying racist ****, which is almost certainly an exaggeration but not one you can blame him for.
He said he heard 59-60 people were ejected. Which is evidently false, but also a great Twitter bite.

Which brings me back to the main point of today's conversation: who's going to pony up for Betts' HBP now that Jones effectively took himself out of the running?  ;D ;D ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jones said ~60 were saying racist ****, which is almost certainly an exaggeration but not one you can blame him for.
He said he heard 59-60 people were ejected. Which is evidently false, but also a great Twitter bite.

Which brings me back to the main point of today's conversation: who's going to pony up for Betts' HBP now that Jones effectively took himself out of the running?  ;D ;D ;D
thanks for the correction.

can you imagine if we gave Jones a standing-O and then beaned him with the first pitch?

hilarious

Id throw at Machado again. Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. that guy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

thanks for the correction.

can you imagine if we gave Jones a standing-O and then beaned him with the first pitch?

hilarious

Id throw at Machado again. **** that guy.
I'd love to see that for the comedy value, but I doubt it's going to happen. Too much bad press.

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
It astounds me and seems incongruous that a state like Mass. which votes so heavily Democratic and is so liberal in its voting, philosophies and legislation could be so racist and be perceived as such.

A racist liberal?...is this a new voting demographic?

I wonder if (m)any of our Cs players feel this?

Horford seems like a thoughtful guy; you would think he asked IT about this before coming here. My point is that potential FAs are far more likely to ask players who play here now and who have played here about this than just going on "reputation" alone.

There have been a lot of NBA players who have come through here who we all know would speak their mind about this if it were an issue they experienced: KG, 'Sheed, Cassell, Rondo, Shaq as both Cs and opponents and Kobe and Barkley and AI as opponents are a few that come to mind.

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
“I was called the N-word a handful of times tonight,’’ Jones said disgustedly.

This day and age this alleged racist tirade would have been recorded and the person would have been doxed by now, so this did not happen. Jones is lying.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2017/05/02/adam-jones-message-to-racist-taunting-fans-square-up-lets-fight-and-get-it-over-with/

We went from "this time it was the worst in 12 years" to "heard it once, wasn't sure if it was one guy or more". Yup, certainly seems it was worth the ruckus.

... So, I hear Chris Jones is a wide body out there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:45:36 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It astounds me and seems incongruous that a state like Mass. which votes so heavily Democratic and is so liberal in its voting, philosophies and legislation could be so racist and be perceived as such.

Two points:

1.  Massachusetts is far from 100% liberal or Democrat;

2. There are plenty of Democrats who vote that way for reasons other than social policy.

There are racists in Boston. That's pretty much an incontrovertible fact, regardless of the political makeup of the city. Whether Boston is more or less racist than other places, and what can be done about it, is a matter of debate.

From my experience, certain neighborhoods in Boston aren't necessarily friendly to racial minorities. I lived in Southie during law school, and I heard the N-word plenty of times. In certain sections  there may as well have been a "blacks not welcome here" sign. In other areas, there's remarkable integration and progressiveness.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

This day and age this alleged racist tirade would have been recorded and the person would have been doxed by now, so this did not happen. Jones is lying.

So you know ahead of time that someone is going to be dropping the N bomb at a player and have your phone out ready to capture it?

C'mon....   ::)   Stuff still flies under the radar and isn't captured electronically this day & age.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Two points:

1.  Massachusetts is far from 100% liberal or Democrat;

2. There are plenty of Democrats who vote that way for reasons other than social policy.

There are racists in Boston. That's pretty much an incontrovertible fact, regardless of the political makeup of the city. Whether Boston is more or less racist than other places, and what can be done about it, is a matter of debate.

From my experience, certain neighborhoods in Boston aren't necessarily friendly to racial minorities. I lived in Southie during law school, and I heard the N-word plenty of times. In certain sections  there may as well have been a "blacks not welcome here" sign. In other areas, there's remarkable integration and progressiveness.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I grew up in an urban, culturally diverse part of Greater Boston and went to college in Cambridge and law school in Boston, living in Cambridge for 3 years, so by experience, I CAN'T disagree with what you've said.

But the fact that there are racists in Boston and sections of the city that are not racially tolerant is true of many, many other cities. New York especially comes to mind. But those cities aren't painted with the same brush that Boston is.

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

So you know ahead of time that someone is going to be dropping the N bomb at a player and have your phone out ready to capture it?

C'mon....   ::)   Stuff still flies under the radar and isn't captured electronically this day & age.

Every little confrontation that springs up is videotaped. "Handful of times", you mean to tell me you believe someone used that word, even once, at a public ballpark, and nobody got their phones out? I like facts, evidence or reliable eyewitnesses, Jones has none of those things on his side. Just a bunch of SJW's quick to pat themselves on the back and condemn racism. Well guess what? I condemn it too, when it actually exists.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Don't believe anyone who says they were sexually harassed or raped either.  They are all liars.🙄