Author Topic: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise  (Read 22552 times)

Re: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Out of our three max players to be in IT/Horford/Hayward, he is the best. I understand that it is not plausible to have 4 max guys with the luxury tax soon looming, but if you can sign a talent like Hayward you do it and then figure out the logistics with trades later on.

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2017, 10:35:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Out of our three max players to be in IT/Horford/Hayward, he is the best. I understand that it is not plausible to have 4 max guys with the luxury tax soon looming, but if you can sign a talent like Hayward you do it and then figure out the logistics with trades later on.

More I watch this game, more I don't mind seeing the likes of KO leave to get Hayward here.

KO is a "one-hit wonder" and way too inconsistent, and should get 15M/Year in the market.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2017, 10:47:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Lol it looks so clear most of these guys on the floor are not here next season.

Ainge definitely wants talent/upgrades.

« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm thinking if they don't sign a max-FA, they may target Melo, since he would be a short term option, could mentor Brown, and still allows us to compete with a trio of Horford/IT/Melo (while Brown, Smart, Fultz, etc. all keep developing and ride out the "Lebron era").

Also could come REAL CHEAP.

« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2017, 05:23:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm thinking if they don't sign a max-FA, they may target Melo, since he would be a short term option, could mentor Brown, and still allows us to compete with a trio of Horford/IT/Melo (while Brown, Smart, Fultz, etc. all keep developing and ride out the "Lebron era").

He takes up as much cap room as Hayward, he'd require other assets, and he'd be the last guy I'd want mentoring young players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

He takes up as much cap room as Hayward, he'd require other assets, and he'd be the last guy I'd want mentoring young players.

I think Melo takes up a few million less than what Hayward would take up though, and I highly doubt he'd cost anything valuable (like Nets Picks or Brown).

My guess is he stays in Utah, which I propose the possibility.

« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think Melo takes up a few million less than what Hayward would take up though, and I highly doubt he'd cost anything valuable (like Nets Picks or Brown).

My guess is he stays in Utah, which I propose the possibility.

Carmelo has a 15% trade kicker.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Eh I might be coming around to the idea now.

KO is worthless and too inconsistent, and so is most of this bench.

Need a legit scorer like Hayward too.

I am surprised that most analysts suggest trading Bradley and re-signing Olynyk, when in my view Bradley is the FAR superior player.

Olynyk is easily replaceable.

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Eh I might be coming around to the idea now.

KO is worthless and too inconsistent, and so is most of this bench.

Need a legit scorer like Hayward too.

I am surprised that most analysts suggest trading Bradley and re-signing Olynyk, when in my view Bradley is the FAR superior player.

Olynyk is easily replaceable.

For our particular roster, though, Bradley is more replaceable. Smart, Jaylen, Hayward, Rozier, and Fultz can play SG.

Meanwhile, we have one big man slated to come back to this team. Finding a starting PF and at least one backup with only the room exception isn't particularly easy.

« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/05/31/is-gordan-hayward-worth-the-cap-space-for-the-boston-celtics/

The Boston Celtics would love to sign Gordon Hayward to a max contract, but that does not come without risks

There is no sense in wasting your time asking whether or not Gordon Hayward would make the Boston Celtics a better team. The answer is yes, always yes and there is no hesitation. Hayward would impact every facet of what this team tires to do, and it is hard to see him having a negative impact in any area, other than some minor positional issues in the starting lineup, the kind of thing Stevens has accommodated every year.

That being said, when not only a max contract is in play, but probably the last max contract fee agent this core will be able to acquire, things can change. If the Celtics go out and fill up the rest of their cap room with Hayward, this current core will be a finished product.

Committing to Hayward means the Celtics have the main players that they believe will win them a championship. That then begs the question, are the Celtics a good enough team if Hayward is added to this roster?

Obviously there are other factors. Markelle Fultz could come in and transforms things as a rookie. Other young players could elevate their game, and make up some of that seemingly massive gap between the Celtics and true championship contention.

Unfortunately, the Celtics cannot bank on that. Championship aspirations cannot be completely changed because of what a 19 year old rookie might be able to, and whether or not the inconsistent role players finally have a better impact.

If the Celtics go out and get Hayward, it is because they believe that with the role players they have, the top end trio of Hayward, Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford is enough to win a championship. Considering how well the Celtics did this year with much less talent, it certainly is a possibility.

There is no doubting that the Celtics have to consider giving Hayward the max, because he has the kind of high end potential that can elevate the team to where they want to be. That being said, how much confidence can we have that Hayward will be that much of a difference maker.

Assuming the Celtics plan on giving Thomas the max, and everything that has come out of the Celtics camp suggests that decision is a no brainier, then they really want that final free agent acquisition to be the kind of player that can dominate on his own, and carry this team that way the top superstars in the league do.

The standard of greatness in the NBA is no longer a collection of stars. Having a set core of star caliber players are the basic start, but from there you need that one guy that can truly take over and be the best player on the court when it is needed most. Thomas has shown flashes of it, and Horford has some of that potential if he keeps up how he played in the playoffs this year. That being said, there is still uncertainty that either one of them can be that next level tier of player that teams need to be a true contender today.

With Hayward, there is that same uncertainty. The fact of the matter is that as good as Hayward is and as much better that he can make this team, they may still need something more to reach the heights of the Cavaliers and the Warriors.

Fans are clamoring for Hayward because he truly is a top tier free agent, and would change the landscape of this franchise. That being said, the Celtics will still need him to be better than any point in his short career.

If the Celtics are committing that final max contract to Hayward, then they are trusting that his prime is about to begin, and the contract he is about to sign is going to define what he is fully capable of as a player.

The good news is that is very much a possibility. Hayward is 26 years old, and has steadily been improving in his career. Hayward has all the signs of turning into an offensive Juggernaut, while not being the kind of ball stopper that could slow down the Celtics.

It would be more than foolish to doubt Stevens’ ability to find Hayward’s offensive potential. The problem, however, lies in the fact that the potential of Hayward is still undetermined. Hayward may be the best bet this offseason, but there could be some regret. If Hayward does not improve the way a lot of people believe he will, the Celtics will never reach that next level with this core.

The bottom line is that the Celtics probably do not have much of a choice. Hayward has been too good and has shown too much promise to not give that max contract. Hayward is a great piece to believe in right now and with Stevens at the helm there is a really great chance that he will become that player that can transforms the trajectory of this team.

If the opportunity is there, the Celtics will sign Hayward to a max contract. It is the kind of deal that could transform this franchise, but do not ignore the potential for this to set the team back, and close the window for this current core as they wait for their young players to develop into players that can lead a championship team.

Pretty much what my original post says.. Could be risky.

Still pro-Hayward, but tough decisions will need to be made all around.

« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2017, 08:03:21 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The dangercart article on the luxury tax was eye opening. If we choose Hayward then we are going to lose quite a few players.

It'll also be interesting to see what that does to player salaries. How much have players been overpaid the last few years?

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/05/31/is-gordan-hayward-worth-the-cap-space-for-the-boston-celtics/

The Boston Celtics would love to sign Gordon Hayward to a max contract, but that does not come without risks

There is no sense in wasting your time asking whether or not Gordon Hayward would make the Boston Celtics a better team. The answer is yes, always yes and there is no hesitation. Hayward would impact every facet of what this team tires to do, and it is hard to see him having a negative impact in any area, other than some minor positional issues in the starting lineup, the kind of thing Stevens has accommodated every year.

That being said, when not only a max contract is in play, but probably the last max contract fee agent this core will be able to acquire, things can change. If the Celtics go out and fill up the rest of their cap room with Hayward, this current core will be a finished product.

Committing to Hayward means the Celtics have the main players that they believe will win them a championship. That then begs the question, are the Celtics a good enough team if Hayward is added to this roster?

Obviously there are other factors. Markelle Fultz could come in and transforms things as a rookie. Other young players could elevate their game, and make up some of that seemingly massive gap between the Celtics and true championship contention.

Unfortunately, the Celtics cannot bank on that. Championship aspirations cannot be completely changed because of what a 19 year old rookie might be able to, and whether or not the inconsistent role players finally have a better impact.

If the Celtics go out and get Hayward, it is because they believe that with the role players they have, the top end trio of Hayward, Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford is enough to win a championship. Considering how well the Celtics did this year with much less talent, it certainly is a possibility.

There is no doubting that the Celtics have to consider giving Hayward the max, because he has the kind of high end potential that can elevate the team to where they want to be. That being said, how much confidence can we have that Hayward will be that much of a difference maker.

Assuming the Celtics plan on giving Thomas the max, and everything that has come out of the Celtics camp suggests that decision is a no brainier, then they really want that final free agent acquisition to be the kind of player that can dominate on his own, and carry this team that way the top superstars in the league do.

The standard of greatness in the NBA is no longer a collection of stars. Having a set core of star caliber players are the basic start, but from there you need that one guy that can truly take over and be the best player on the court when it is needed most. Thomas has shown flashes of it, and Horford has some of that potential if he keeps up how he played in the playoffs this year. That being said, there is still uncertainty that either one of them can be that next level tier of player that teams need to be a true contender today.

With Hayward, there is that same uncertainty. The fact of the matter is that as good as Hayward is and as much better that he can make this team, they may still need something more to reach the heights of the Cavaliers and the Warriors.

Fans are clamoring for Hayward because he truly is a top tier free agent, and would change the landscape of this franchise. That being said, the Celtics will still need him to be better than any point in his short career.

If the Celtics are committing that final max contract to Hayward, then they are trusting that his prime is about to begin, and the contract he is about to sign is going to define what he is fully capable of as a player.

The good news is that is very much a possibility. Hayward is 26 years old, and has steadily been improving in his career. Hayward has all the signs of turning into an offensive Juggernaut, while not being the kind of ball stopper that could slow down the Celtics.

It would be more than foolish to doubt Stevens’ ability to find Hayward’s offensive potential. The problem, however, lies in the fact that the potential of Hayward is still undetermined. Hayward may be the best bet this offseason, but there could be some regret. If Hayward does not improve the way a lot of people believe he will, the Celtics will never reach that next level with this core.

The bottom line is that the Celtics probably do not have much of a choice. Hayward has been too good and has shown too much promise to not give that max contract. Hayward is a great piece to believe in right now and with Stevens at the helm there is a really great chance that he will become that player that can transforms the trajectory of this team.

If the opportunity is there, the Celtics will sign Hayward to a max contract. It is the kind of deal that could transform this franchise, but do not ignore the potential for this to set the team back, and close the window for this current core as they wait for their young players to develop into players that can lead a championship team.

Pretty much what my original post says.. Could be risky.

Still pro-Hayward, but tough decisions will need to be made all around.

Every decision carries risk, especially a big one like a max free agent signing.  That's why Ainge gets to wear the big boy pants.

« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
It is really unfortunate that our current max money guy Horford sucks for a max FA. Things would be much different if Horford played better (rebounding and scoring).

« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It is really unfortunate that our current max money guy Horford sucks for a max FA. Things would be much different if Horford played better (rebounding and scoring).

Really? Horford is like the "QB" of the team.

Makes a lot of things around him happen (great passer, stretches the floor, can hit shots in many places).

If anything, he needs a bruiser alongside him, and another guy or two who can known down open  shots (so far, we only have IT in that department - AB/Crowder are inconsistent and streaky).

Horford could do a bit better rebounding-wise, but he was exceptional for much of the postseason and is an "all-around big" IMHO.

« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Given luxury tax issues, it may boil down to offering max deal to Hayward or Thomas but not both.

If so, I save $$ to re-sign Thomas. I know cap wise we can sign both, but just think you don't max 3 guys unless they are all super stars like Miami. Even there they agreed to a haircut to make it work.

Horford and Hayward not on that level. Thomas is.