Author Topic: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise  (Read 22588 times)

Re: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
In my fantasy summer we use 1 Brooklyn pick to get Paul George, which would leave 2 remaining

We've only got two BRK picks left.

KO and the room exception cannot mix, if you go over the cap for KO you can't then use the room exception, it has to be the last thing used.

I don't believe this is true. The Celtics can use cap space (accounting for Kelly's cap hold), go over the cap to sign KO, and then use the room exception.

The way James Young's career has turned out, we should be awarded an extra BKN pick.

I always refer to "the 3 Brooklyn picks" forgetting that he was the 4th one that we never speak of...

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
In my fantasy summer we use 1 Brooklyn pick to get Paul George, which would leave 2 remaining

We've only got two BRK picks left.

KO and the room exception cannot mix, if you go over the cap for KO you can't then use the room exception, it has to be the last thing used.

I don't believe this is true. The Celtics can use cap space (accounting for Kelly's cap hold), go over the cap to sign KO, and then use the room exception.

The way James Young's career has turned out, we should be awarded an extra BKN pick.

I always refer to "the 3 Brooklyn picks" forgetting that he was the 4th one that we never speak of...

It's the curse of Bill Simmons and his public celebration when the C's drafted Young.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2017, 10:44:13 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
All these nice discussions.

Then AB, Crowder, KO and co. have a game like tonight...  :P

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2017, 10:49:30 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I mean, if we beat the Cavs and then win at least two games vs the GSW, then we'll look competitive.  I am just not seeing that as a likely trajectory though.

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:08 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I mean, if we beat the Cavs and then at least two games vs the GSW, then we'll look competitive.  I am just not seeing that as a likely trajectory though.

Definitely not. I'm predicting (if C's advance), it will be Cavs in 5 LOL.

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Hayward's production would have probably been better than ALL of KO/Green/Mickey/Amir/Jerebko/Zeller last night, with some guys also not even seeing minutes lol.

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2017, 10:38:58 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'll leave it to Ainge to sort all this out, but I don't think they have the horses up front right now to win a Championship. And they don't figure to get one in the draft, which is guard heavy.

I think they need help up front for Horford, defensive help, and I don't see that with the current roster. They don't necessarily need another "star." They need a big who can consistently rebound and play defense. Help Horford out. Their current bigs are not up to that job.

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
We have the #1 pick (YAY!)

And I think this makes the scenario I created here MORE likely.

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The only difference maker we'd be losing is Bradley, and we'd be replacing him with Hayward and Fultz.

There's no guarantee that we'd retain Amir, JJ, Green, etc., but even if we assume they'd all come back, is that really a big loss?

In: Hayward, Fultz, Zizic, Nader, #37, room exception

Out: AB, Amir, Jerebko, Zeller, Mickey, Young, Jackson, Green

Which set of players would you prefer? We'd be upgrading.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

The only difference maker we'd be losing is Bradley, and we'd be replacing him with Hayward and Fultz.

There's no guarantee that we'd retain Amir, JJ, Green, etc., but even if we assume they'd all come back, is that really a big loss?

I'd prefer dealing AB for a moderate upgrade at PF. As to who that guy is, idk.

If that happened though, I'd love the roster all together, with Zizic included.

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

Firstly it's unfair to list the players like that. Aside from Hayward those players are coming in regardless.

Secondly I'm still not sure that works under the cap. I'm using Ryan Bernardoni's roster builder and trading away Bradley for a future pick still leaves us $700k short. Even trading away Jackson instead of waiving him leaves us $450k short.

I think it comes down to this; regardless of whether you move Olynyk or Bradley, Rozier must be moved as well to open up a max slot space. This is on the assumption that we want to definitely bring Zizic over (which I think we're all in agreement on). Yab stays overseas.

Setting all else aside it's essentially Hayward vs Bradley and Rozier. We'd be much thinner in the back court after that trade.

None of this of course is mentioning the luxury tax implications once we re-sign Isaiah and Marcus in 2018, assuming that you would intend to re-sign them?

« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Firstly it's unfair to list the players like that. Aside from Hayward those players are coming in regardless.

Secondly I'm still not sure that works under the cap. I'm using Ryan Bernardoni's roster builder and trading away Bradley for a future pick still leaves us $700k short. Even trading away Jackson instead of waiving him leaves us $450k short.

I think it comes down to this; regardless of whether you move Olynyk or Bradley, Rozier must be moved as well to open up a max slot space. This is on the assumption that we want to definitely bring Zizic over (which I think we're all in agreement on). Yab stays overseas.

Setting all else aside it's essentially Hayward vs Bradley and Rozier. We'd be much thinner in the back court after that trade.

None of this of course is mentioning the luxury tax implications once we re-sign Isaiah and Marcus in 2018, assuming that you would intend to re-sign them?

Hayward for Bradley + Rozier is a huge steal for us, especially when Rozier is being replaced by Fultz.

That's on the assumption that we have to move Rozier, which isn't a given. The projections that have us being $400k short are making assumptions about the CBA that are contradicted by written reports.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If Hayward decides he'd prefer to play for the Celtics rather than the Jazz, I doubt $700K would change his mind when he'd be making around $30 million.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:24:09 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
If Hayward decides he'd prefer to play for the Celtics rather than the Jazz, I doubt $700K would change his mind when he'd be making around $30 million.

Well we've seen in the past that it does matter to players but some are more humble than others...

Hayward for Bradley + Rozier is a huge steal for us, especially when Rozier is being replaced by Fultz.

That's on the assumption that we have to move Rozier, which isn't a given. The projections that have us being $400k short are making assumptions about the CBA that are contradicted by written reports.

Is that the roster cap hold thing? That would indeed put us the right side of things if it's 12 instead of 13. It would be really nice to have clarity on that as it's a pretty big deal not just for us but for teams like GS too. If the league wants parity though it would make more sense to push it up to 13.

That still doesn't detract from the tax implications in later years though. Paying IT and Hayward over $30m each and then Horford $27m and then another $15mish on Smart is already right on the cap. Add in $8.4m and $4.3m for Fultz and Brown respectively plus the $7m for Crowder and we are in luxury tax territory with only 7players on the roster. We then have Zizic($2m), presumably Yab($2.6m) and Nader(min) by that point, the 2nd round pick(min) from this year and assuming the Nets pick is #3 overall another $6.4m. Very roughly that's $135m in salary which will be about $10m over the tax line with another 3 roster spots to fill. That's a Cleveland level tax bill and it'll only be growing as the Nets picks come up for extensions.

I don't think we beat Cleveland with that roster anyway, so are we really going to go through that pain only to see no improvement?

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I would like to keep our squad....

Resign KO to a team friendly deal...and Ibaka to a 15 times 5.....

Then at the trade deadline look to move Zeller, Mickey, Jackson and our Celtics 2018 pick for help.

IT/RoZier/Fultz
Bradley/Smart/Fultz
Jae/Brown/JJ/Nadar
Ibaka/KO/Yab
AL/Big-Z and Zeller

Diggles