Author Topic: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise  (Read 22567 times)

Re: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Most of these guys who would have to leave to acquire a max-FA aren't even doing anything and are practically liabilities... SMH.

This is looking like a real flawed roster now.

Well they are just thoroughly outmatched by a better team. We can't say this is unexpected. The Jazz got manhandled by the Warriors too, including Gordon Hayward

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2017, 02:34:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Most of these guys who would have to leave to acquire a max-FA aren't even doing anything and are practically liabilities... SMH.

Well they are just thoroughly outmatched by a better team. We can't say this is unexpected. The Jazz got manhandled by the Warriors too, including Gordon Hayward

True, but they didn't get beat that bad like Boston in the past few games...  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
The only free agents that would make us a contender are Durant and Curry.  So hope for a Cavs 4-0 beat down and a GSW implosion.  Signing Hayward or Griffin isn't going to get it done so unless there is a follow-on big trade I'd pass on them and retain the Max cap space for next off season. 

« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
The only free agents that would make us a contender are Durant and Curry.  So hope for a Cavs 4-0 beat down and a GSW implosion.  Signing Hayward or Griffin isn't going to get it done so unless there is a follow-on big trade I'd pass on them and retain the Max cap space for next off season.

As I said earlier in my ORIGINAL post:

I know that if we don't sign a max-FA, then we STILL wouldn't have enough cap space for a max-FA next summer (with rookie deals kicking in and other factors).

You can sign absolutely no one this offseason, and you still wouldn't have enough cap space for a max-player next season, unless you decide to pretty much let absolutely everyone go (IT, Horford, Smart, Bradley, etc.).

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I trust Danny so I believe that his decision will be far better than mine would be.  But my overall take is that we already have one max guy who is a very good, but not elite player.  We have another guy who will likely get a max contract from someone after next year who is an elite scorer but is a defensive liability and really can't (I don't think) be the number 1 guy on a championship team.  We are now looking at a 3rd guy (Hayward) to spend max money on who also is a 2nd tier max-guy (excellent player, but not top 10).   A quick look at GSW's max guys and they've got 2 elite talents and a couple borderline elites.  The C's need to be careful about spending max $$ on non-elite players.

On the other hand, there is an unanswered question that would be addressed if Hayward signs here.  IT would have that consistent high-level scorer - a top 20-ish player who will get lots of attention.  With that player on board, will IT be even more effective as an all-around offensive threat?  More open lanes? More reliable shooters to pass to when he is swarmed?  I don't think Hayward brings the C's much closer to beating the Cavs or GSW.    And having Hayward here might tempt Danny to trade Fultz and Brown (and Nets '18) for the "final pieces" which I prefer him not doing because I think we are that far away.

I am patient so I am definitely OK with passing on the Max-FA, but again, I trust Danny far more than myself.

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2017, 04:38:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

True, but they didn't get beat that bad like Boston in the past few games...  :(

They probably would have if Hayward was playing with a severe injury.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
This is the last offseason we'll have the ability to sign a major free agent without getting rid of anyone major already on the roster. (FYI I don't consider Kelly major.) We have to use it this summer or that asset will wilt and disappear. I am not a huge fan of Hayward due to his defensive shortcomings, but we gotta sign somebody. Millsap would be good. He and Al are going to age well.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This is the last offseason we'll have the ability to sign a major free agent without getting rid of anyone major already on the roster. (FYI I don't consider Kelly major.) We have to use it this summer or that asset will wilt and disappear. I am not a huge fan of Hayward due to his defensive shortcomings, but we gotta sign somebody. Millsap would be good. He and Al are going to age well.

Hayward isn't bad at defense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

He's not good at it, either. I'd prefer better than mediocre defense from every position, no weak links.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I agree, I don't know where this idea comes from.

He's at least adequate, at this point, and I think he can step it up at times too.

People forget but Paul Pierce was considered an indifferent defender at the same age.

« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He's not good at it, either. I'd prefer better than mediocre defense from every position, no weak links.

I can't claim to have watched more than 5 or 6 (regular season) Jazz games this year, but statistically he was very good.  These numbers are from mid-February, but here's what I found then:

Gordon Hayward is 10th in the NBA in defensive win shares, and opponents shoot 2.9% worse against him than their norm, only 41.5% overall.  The 41.5% shooting allowed is 7th among starting forwards.

He's not a bad defender. In fact, statistically he's better than Jae, and ranks among the top tier.

« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I can't claim to have watched more than 5 or 6 (regular season) Jazz games this year, but statistically he was very good.  These numbers are from mid-February, but here's what I found then:

Gordon Hayward is 10th in the NBA in defensive win shares, and opponents shoot 2.9% worse against him than their norm, only 41.5% overall.  The 41.5% shooting allowed is 7th among starting forwards.

He's not a bad defender. In fact, statistically he's better than Jae, and ranks among the top tier.

Hmmm. That indicates he's better than I thought.

« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Hmmm. That indicates he's better than I thought.

Also look at it this way.

People knock on IT because even when he may score 30, he gives up just as many points on defense.

But Hayward DOES NOT HURT YOU on the defensive end, and so if he scores 25-30, he won't give it all back on defense.

That's not to say Hayward>IT, but Hayward is one of the better scorers in the game today, an all-star, and in a sense, an above average defender.

Maybe not as elite as Bradley, or Draymond, or Leonard, but still above average.

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
This team w/o Isaiah is still doing well, and a big part of that is because our depth is starting to come alive.

Same depth that could leave (along with AB/Smart/Crowder) JUST to make $$ work with Hayward.

Though we could use Hayward to knock down lots of open look shots.

So is the cap officially at 101M or is there a chance it goes up a tiny bit? (Every bit counts lol)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:24:32 AM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Eh I might be coming around to the idea now.

KO is worthless and too inconsistent, and so is most of this bench.

Need a legit scorer like Hayward too.