Author Topic: How could the Celtics stay under the cap but keep everyone happy?  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
List your ideas here...

KO and Smart are due for their 1st extensions

AB and IT4 could sign extensions starting this offseason(what are the chances ..) ..

Could the Celts even afford to sign any big name ufa in the next offseason or two...

Re: How could the Celtics stay under the cap but keep everyone happy?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The only guys Id even look at with a max are Hayward, Millsap, Porter, and Griffin.

Im not sure Porter is worth it, I expect Hayward to stay in Utah, and griffin is a huge injury risk. Milsapp is a risk due to age.

Its not a horrible idea to punt on cap space and extend this group. Give Isaiah a max extension, try to extend Kelly 4x10 and then use bird rights to resign Marcus and AB.

Then leverage the draft picks to fill the holes.

I think ultimately 1 of AB or Marcus gets traded. We pursue Hayward and Millsap in FA and then we max Isaiah give Kelly a deal most people initially hate but then come to realize is a good deal over its duration. After that we resign whichever of Marcus/AB that we didnt trade and move forward with that core:

Isaiah, AB/Smart, Al, FA(?), Brown, Nets '17, Crowder
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The only guys Id even look at with a max are Hayward, Millsap, Porter, and Griffin.

Im not sure Porter is worth it, I expect Hayward to stay in Utah, and griffin is a huge injury risk. Milsapp is a risk due to age.

Its not a horrible idea to punt on cap space and extend this group. Give Isaiah a max extension, try to extend Kelly 4x10 and then use bird rights to resign Marcus and AB.

I think ultimately 1 of AB or Marcus gets traded. We pursue Hayward and Millsap in FA and then we max Isaiah give Kelly a deal most people initially hate but then come to realize is a good deal over its duration. After that we resign whichever of Marcus/AB that we didnt trade and move forward with that core:

Give me numeric examples

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Give me numeric examples
Alright: everybodys happy(maybe not fans) scenario:

max FAs tell us to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. off.

numbers dont really matter because of bird rights. Tell Young, Mickey, Green,  Zeller, Amir, and Jonas goodbye.

Extend Marcus for 4x15
Sign your draft pick for like 7 mil. Bring in Zizic and Yabu (rookie scale probably a combined 6 mil)
Give Kelly 4x12, deescalating (so it starts at like 14 mil)

now youve used all your cap room.

Wait untill next year. Use Bird Rights to give Isaiah 30 mil a year and Bradley 19 mil a year.

Thats Al(30)+IT(30)+Bradley(19)+Marcus(15)+Kelly(12)+Jae(7)+Brown(6)+'17(6) + other picks (3ish each)+minimum contracts.

Thats a pretty sizeable luxury tax.

more reasonable result is an Avery Bradley or Marcus Smart trade.

Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:18:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think it's more likely than not we don't sign a max FA. Could see re-signing Kelly to a team friendly deal. Definitely could see us signing IT to a max deal, and reupping AB and Smart to fair deals. Just see the progression of this team being organic with the high draft picks including Brown and Nets 2017 and 2018. Not to mention Zizic and Yabs. Should begin to peak team chemistry and talent wise by 2019 and 2020 when GSW and CLE on back nine.

Our major comp then will be Bucks, Wolves, Sixers, Suns and, Lakers. See a lot of chances for multiple rings. The playoff experience we are getting now will give us edge over these opponents in the future.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Give me numeric examples

max FAs tell us to **** off.

numbers dont really matter because of bird rights. Tell Young, Mickey, Green,  Zeller, Amir, and Jonas goodbye.

Extend Marcus for 4x15
Sign your draft pick for like 7 mil. Bring in Zizic and Yabu (rookie scale probably a combined 6 mil)

Wait untill next year. Use Bird Rights to give Isaiah 30 mil a year and Bradley 19 mil a year.

Thats Al(30)+IT(30)+Bradley(19)+Marcus(15)+Kelly(12)+Jae(7)+Brown(6)+'17(6) + other picks (3ish each)+minimum contracts.

If you are the agent of AB , why should he eat less money than IT4 or even compared to a CJ mccollum per season? 1st team all defensive and not to shabby at all on the offensive end..even improved in rebounding numbers

Also Smart making 15 per year but KO making 12 ??

IMO it starts with IT4 and AB to take a paycut... To keep this team in tact ...  KO and Smart would need to take a little paycut as well

Will these guys do it ..is another question

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This team needs more stars to add to IT and Horford so I think its unrealistic to think Ainge will bring everyone back. The front office already conceded that they need more stars. Sorry but Smart, Bradley and Olynyk aren't stars.

I see Cs going after Hayward or Griffin on a 4 year max or Millsap on a 3 year max. Once one of them sign, then KO is gone. I think Millsap most likely. Then I think they trade Bradley and Crowder or Smart and Crowder with the 2017 or 2018 pick to Chicago for Butler.
Hopefully the 2018 pick.

Then they resign IT to a max and Bradley or Smart, whoever is left, to a good contract. The Celtics could then roll out

IT/Rozier
Bradley or Smart/Fultz
Butler/Brown
Millsap/Yabusele
Horford/Zizic

And they use the room exception and vey minimums to strengthen the front court depth so they aren't relying so much on rookies.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:32:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Pretty much can't

It's the problem LeBron has always struggled .   Get a group together , you got to pay em .

It's the owners call......gotta PAY to PLAY

Pay em ...see if they can win it.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This team needs more stars to add to IT and Horford so I think its unrealistic to think Ainge will bring everyone back. The front office already conceded that they need more stars. Sorry but Smart, Bradley and Olynyk aren't stars.

I see Cs going after Hayward or Griffin on a 4 year max or Millsap on a 3 year max. Once one of them sign, then KO is gone. I think Millsap most likely. Then I think they trade Bradley and Crowder or Smart and Crowder with the 2017 or 2018 pick to Chicago for Butler.
Hopefully the 2018 pick.

Then they resign IT to a max and Bradley or Smart, whoever is left, to a good contract. The Celtics could then roll out

IT/Rozier
Bradley or Smart/Fultz
Butler/Brown
Millsap/Yabusele
Horford/Zizic

And they use the room exception and vey minimums to strengthen the front court depth so they aren't relying so much on rookies.

I agree this team can use another star... But right now this team has nice chemistry and togetherness...sometimes you got to be careful not to mess with that also

IT4 is good but he is not Lebron or Leonard... You cant just give him the ball and move out of the way...he needs help for his game to excel... On the defensive end, lots of players bail him out

What if at least we can try to keep IT4, AB, Smart and KO happy  with their next contracts (give and take) and can add stars cheaply (Brown , Fultz, 2018 pick) and hope they grow up quickly...

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The way Crowder is coming through...dont know if Hayward will be walking through those doors anymore

If celts got swept by the Bulls... Almost certaintly Crowder would be a goner and hello to Hayward

But now...

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If this is the group (no FA signings and all that), then I think it's possible to fit everyone under the cap sans Amir and Zeller. However, if we want to sign a max FA, a lot of people have to go.

Ive seen so many posters saying something like "FA is better than trade because you give up nothing" and I disagree. First off, FA is more difficult because players are incentivized now to stay with their team. Secondly, locking up a guy means less to go around for everyone else.

On a related note, with Jazz advancing, I see little chance in Hayward leaving.The most probable FA signing is likely Millsap and I'm not sure how much I love that. I think revisiting a PG or Butler trade and then signing a role player big will work out better and more realistically.
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 11:01:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If this is the group (no FA signings and all that), then I think it's possible to fit everyone under the cap sans Amir and Zeller. However, if we want to sign a max FA, a lot of people have to go.

Ive seen so many posters saying something like "FA is better than trade because you give up nothing" and I disagree. First off, FA is more difficult because players are incentivized now to stay with their team. Secondly, locking up a guy means less to go around for everyone else.

On a related note, with Jazz advancing, I see little chance in Hayward leaving.The most probable FA signing is likely Millsap and I'm not sure how much I love that. I think revisiting a PG or Butler trade and then signing a role player big will work out better and more realistically.

Some good pts

I think if the Celts sign Millsap , and if its a shorter term deal... It is only to do it...to buy time and hope to win a championship asap... Before really having to worry about extending guys like AB, IT4 (2017-2018)

Dont think trading for butler or pg 13 is likely... The opportunity passed this trade deadline... after this season difficult to match salary without overpaying

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 11:21:25 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Hopefully the 2018 pick.

IT/Rozier
Bradley or Smart/Fultz
Butler/Brown
Millsap/Yabusele
Horford/Zizic

KO is showing his value in these playoffs and grew a pair. Is Millsap that much better or max type better he looked pretty bad in the postseason
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 11:32:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Give me numeric examples

max FAs tell us to **** off.

Extend Marcus for 4x15

If you are the agent of AB , why should he eat less money than IT4 or even compared to a CJ mccollum per season? 1st team all defensive and not to shabby at all on the offensive end..even improved in rebounding numbers

Also Smart making 15 per year but KO making 12 ??

IMO it starts with IT4 and AB to take a paycut... To keep this team in tact ...  KO and Smart would need to take a little paycut as well

Will these guys do it ..is another question
well that ones got an easy answer. Nope.

Smart at 15 might be a little cheap, but I could see it happening. Kelly at 12 a year seems pretty standard to me.

Isaiah will get the max.

You can toy with Bradley's contract. I wouldnt be too happy with anything much above 20 mil.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
To answer the OP's question - this is basically the last season that Boston's able to have max cap space (and even then it's only second-tier max cap space, so Atlanta could theoretically start Millsap at a higher number). After that you're talking about letting the whole backcourt walk to preserve max space, which the front office won't do. That being said, with Butler and George still on old-CBA deals, they could make one free agent signing (with Millsap the most likely candidate) and still trade for one of Butler/George to cap it off so long as Wyc's willing to pay the luxury tax for an honest-to-goodness contender (which he's done in the past).