Author Topic: Be Thankful We Don't Have A "Liability" At The FT Line  (Read 1682 times)

Be Thankful We Don't Have A "Liability" At The FT Line
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:16:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Watching that Clippers-Jazz game, it was pretty sad seeing, in a GAME 7, DeAndre Jordan BRICKING free throws late down by like 10. Not that the Clippers would have definitely won if he made them, but it would have gotten them closer. Instead, the Clippers hopelessly saw their chance go out the window with every "airball" by Jordan at the line...  :laugh:

And in the OKC-HOU series, Andre Roberson was like 2-19 from the line and IMO cost OKC late in a "winnable" Game 4 when he kept bricking FT's while the team was only down like 3-5 points.

Moral of the story: Be thankful there isn't that guy on the Celtics

Yes, besides IT, everyone may miss here or there, but they shoot at a relatively good rate and there aren't many liabilities in that department. Otherwise, I think that would send this blog into a frenzy and a "Trade this [bum]" crowd...  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Be Thankful We Don't Have A "Liability" At The FT Line
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Good point.

Having a guy who just can't make them can be really frustrating to watch when it comes to crunch time. Even Smart shot over 80% from the line this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Good point.

Having a guy who just can't make them can be really frustrating to watch when it comes to crunch time. Even Smart shot over 80% from the line this season.

Yep, and as I said, imagine having it happen to your team with like 2-3 minutes left in a GAME 7.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
This is why I've soured on wanting a guy like Jordan or Drummond...

Ft shooting is a neccessity in today's game... unlike you're otherworldy like Shaq and can make up for bad ft shooting with elite offense (which neither of those guys can) then it's a huge detriment to the team.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I wonder if front offices take FT% more seriously than the average fan. Clearly being able to shoot and make FT's are huge and the difference between winning and losing a close playoff game.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
and just to think, the entire Clipper brass went to Texas to beg this guy not to reneg on his commitment to Dallas and to re-sign with the Clippers.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I wonder if front offices take FT% more seriously than the average fan. Clearly being able to shoot and make FT's are huge and the difference between winning and losing a close playoff game.

If they did this guy would not make the US Olympic team.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Totally agree!

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
 As much as I blame Stevens for our lack of pure rebounding and rim protecting, because I feel he has too much say in personnel decisions, I have to give him credit for this,  for exactly the same reason.

Brad Stevens likes shooters.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 08:45:04 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
The Celtics were the best free throw shooting team in the league this season. In game 5 we were perfect from the line as a team.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love D Jordan. It is a real advantage for a team to just throw the ball in vicinity of the rim and have Jordan catch it and throw it down. The poor ft shooting is a shame - he seems like a good, hardworking guy and I would gladly take him.

But it is nice having all of our players be at least solid from the line. I only wish KO would focus more on his first ft. There is no reason for him to be missing free-throws - he is too good of a shooter.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It really makes me appreciate bigs like horford, who have more than 1 move offensively and aren't liability at the stripe

I also hope we don't draft Jackson for this reason

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Watching that Clippers-Jazz game, it was pretty sad seeing, in a GAME 7, DeAndre Jordan BRICKING free throws late down by like 10. Not that the Clippers would have definitely won if he made them, but it would have gotten them closer. Instead, the Clippers hopelessly saw their chance go out the window with every "airball" by Jordan at the line...  :laugh:

And in the OKC-HOU series, Andre Roberson was like 2-19 from the line and IMO cost OKC late in a "winnable" Game 4 when he kept bricking FT's while the team was only down like 3-5 points.

Yes, besides IT, everyone may miss here or there, but they shoot at a relatively good rate and there aren't many liabilities in that department. Otherwise, I think that would send this blog into a frenzy and a "Trade this [bum]" crowd...  :laugh:

This is why the continuing call for the NBA to do something about the hack-a-shaq strategy infuriates me. Learn to make free throws. If you don't, don't whine when the other team fouls you late in the game.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This is why the continuing call for the NBA to do something about the hack-a-shaq strategy infuriates me. Learn to make free throws. If you don't, don't whine when the other team fouls you late in the game.

agreed.  the rule doesn't need to be changed.  players need to make FTs if they don't want to be paraded to the line as the weak link they are.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

agreed.  the rule doesn't need to be changed.  players need to make FTs if they don't want to be paraded to the line as the weak link they are.

Guys are getting paid MILLIONS to put a ball through a basket hoop, too. Seriously...PRACTICE!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)