Author Topic: View from across the pond  (Read 1820 times)

Re: View from across the pond
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 12:24:38 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Hello there,

However, it must be said that having read this board a little bit recently, there does seem to be quite of a lot of negativity, and I'm wondering if that genuinely is the case, or if it's something that is exclusive to this board? Just a few of the recurring points that seem to get made are that Stevens isn't good enough, Smart is a disappointment, Philadelphia have more assets (something that bemuses more than most of the other complaints. Surely if there's one team in the league Boston would want to compare itself to least, it's Philly?!). So really what I'm asking is this: why the discontent? Does it stem from the fact Boston is the most successful franchise in the league, and so anything less than 1st is not good enough, or are things actually not as rosy as they may appear? I'm intrigued to hear what you guys have to say.

Ash

Ah, the eternal pessimism of the Boston Sports Fan.

Inexplicable - the astonishing good fortune of the city Boston in accumulated championships - in all the major American sports! - instead of fostering patience and acceptance (not to mention a modicum of trust in the teams' managers, presidents, and owners) produces their opposites.

Cynicism, resignation, suspicion reign.  Amplified by anonymity, in the echo chambers of the Internet the "realization" that Brad Stevens cannot motivate his players; that Danny Ainge stubbornly refuses to add players who can shoot or rebound; that Kelly Olynyk is soft; - can find a voice, and a chorus of agreement.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:24:08 AM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 04:16:34 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Welcome OC. I post from Australia and find similar problems getting to see games. Mostly they are played while I am at work so I am generally sneaking a peek at the scores from my computer.

I wouldn't call myself an expert on all things basketball or Celtics but I have a reasonable knowledge through following the Celtics and playing when I was a lot younger. One of the great things about this board is that in amongst everything else there are plenty of posters knowledgeable about the game, the draft, free agency, contracts, stats (finding and using), players skills and so on. I don't post as much as others but I read lots, especially if there is a thread getting lots of responses from posters who know their stuff.

I would also say that unless you are being intentionally provocative, most posters give their opposing opinions in a civil and thoughtful way with explanation.

I hate losing so I get the Boston sports fan attitude, though that could be from having lived in Oz for so long or having been born a Yorkshireman.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 04:28:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hello guys I don't really have an issue with timezones lol (that's because I live in HK and most nba games are in the morning when I'm eating breakfast). Well I'm pretty sure I'm at least one of the youngest guys here if not the youngest so yeah ny knowledge of Celtics basketball isn't a lot. However I have been reading up a lot of Celtic history and overall I'm impressed with how the organization has bounced back from hardships and getting screwed by NY ****sucker Stern multiple times by winning championships. Overall the blog the really nice although there may be differing opinions and the occasional Cavs fan that comes here to **** on us when they're winning in a playoff series against us (that guy who created a thread a couple years back saying the 2015 playoffs was revenge for 2010 was hilarious lol).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA