Author Topic: View from across the pond  (Read 1811 times)

View from across the pond
« on: April 30, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »

Offline Oxford Celt

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 12
Hello there,

This is my first post to this board, and I'm using it mainly to ask a few questions about the general state of the Celtics and the views of 'proper' fans. As the title of the thread suggests, I'm a Brit, so go easy on me.

First of all, what a game that is currently taking place! It's nice to actually be able to catch a game at a reasonable time over here (it's 8pm as a type this). As the Wizzards took their early lead I thought 'this may be s long series', but the 'boucebackability' shown by the C's has been a joy to watch. Isaiah Thomas really is a brilliant player.

Secondly, and a more general point, it does seem like the organisation is in a massively positive position at the moment. 1st in the East, cap space, a young core of talented players, an excellent young coach, and an assortment of future draft picks, what's not to like? I'm already very interested to see what Ainge does this summer. As a personal opinion, I'd like to see him follow the same sort of formula in terms of bringing in the right personnel; not just going for the biggest name. This team really seems to be on the cusp of something great. Wholesale changes, as far as I can see, are not required.

However, it must be said that having read this board a little bit recently, there does seem to be quite of a lot of negativity, and I'm wondering if that genuinely is the case, or if it's something that is exclusive to this board? Just a few of the recurring points that seem to get made are that Stevens isn't good enough, Smart is a disappointment, Philadelphia have more assets (something that bemuses more than most of the other complaints. Surely if there's one team in the league Boston would want to compare itself to least, it's Philly?!). So really what I'm asking is this: why the discontent? Does it stem from the fact Boston is the most successful franchise in the league, and so anything less than 1st is not good enough, or are things actually not as rosy as they may appear? I'm intrigued to hear what you guys have to say.

Anyway, Washington seem to be getting back into this. So I'll sign off. Let's hope Boston can hold out for the win.

Cheers,

Ash

Re: View from across the pond
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
welcome!  ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I gave you a TP for your first post, and to welcome you to the blog.

As far as the negativity on the blog, come on now, its the internet. lol.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
hey ash i live in chester england but grew up in and played ball in boston
-my son played premier league here-a 6-5 point guard for ellesmereport-we played for national championship 16 and under and 18 and under ,lost to manchestor but we won the sure shot cup-
bostons fans can be the best or worst-they at times feel entitled and demand hustle and any result that isn't moving forward to a banner is a failure
and of course some of these critics never played at a high level-
ainge is amazing what he has done and brad the best coach for a young team and for putting players in position to succeed
i'm old but got to play in old boston garden under all those banners ,have played against bob cousy towards end of  his pro career, i was then a high school all star and was coached by a legend rollie massimino who coached villanova against all odds to win the final four, against undefeated georgetown 2 years with patrick ewing with a 15th ranked team
celtics pride is legendary-the players i have watched over 5 decades and now isaiah,marcus ,avery ,crowder and marcus-and we got lottery ,ante zizic and yabusele alofg with d league rookie of year abdel nader-check maine red claws site

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
However, it must be said that having read this board a little bit recently, there does seem to be quite of a lot of negativity, and I'm wondering if that genuinely is the case, or if it's something that is exclusive to this board? Just a few of the recurring points that seem to get made are that Stevens isn't good enough, Smart is a disappointment, Philadelphia have more assets (something that bemuses more than most of the other complaints. Surely if there's one team in the league Boston would want to compare itself to least, it's Philly?!). So really what I'm asking is this: why the discontent? Does it stem from the fact Boston is the most successful franchise in the league, and so anything less than 1st is not good enough, or are things actually not as rosy as they may appear? I'm intrigued to hear what you guys have to say.
Just as a response to this, I think it's something about New England-area sports fans. We're very nervous about allowing ourselves to ever enjoy anything. Me personally, until the trophy is in our team's possession  I can never rest easy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:25:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Bouncebackability - you Brits with your smart vocabulary! ;)

I think there is negativity here, but actually not by the majority of posters.  There are a few "loud" and frequent naysayers, but most here, I think, give a mostly realistic perspective.  We are an emotional fanbase so I think it's true that there is probably some unnecessary knee-jerk negativity, but again, I think most here wear green-colored glasses and think optimistcally about the future (and have done so even when there hasn't been much to be happy about).  Those who jump on Kelly, Terry, Marcus and the Coach are often the same posters over and over who have their pet hates.

Keep posting -- we need more European perspective. Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Bouncebackability - you Brits with your smart vocabulary! ;)

I think there is negativity here, but actually not by the majority of posters.  There are a few "loud" and frequent naysayers, but most here, I think, give a mostly realistic perspective.  We are an emotional fanbase so I think it's true that there is probably some unnecessary knee-jerk negativity, but again, I think most here wear green-colored glasses and think optimistcally about the future (and have done so even when there hasn't been much to be happy about).  Those who jump on Kelly, Terry, Marcus and the Coach are often the same posters over and over who have their pet hates.

Keep posting -- we need more European perspective. Thanks.

not sure Brits like to be called Euros..... #Brexit.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »

Offline Oxford Celt

• Jaden Springer
Thanks for the early responses! What a win that was, by the way.

Take the point about this being the Internet, I'll bear it in mind when reading future posts calling for Stevens' head.

Interesting to hear about the New England attitude to sport. In general, the success the region has experienced across near enough every (American) sport is quite something. Maybe you guys should enjoy it a little more?  ;)

I'll try to filter future negative comments and determine if they're coming from one of the frequent naysayers or someone posting a well balanced and thought out query!

I think from my perspective, the most positive thing about what Ainge has done is how he's rebuilt the squad and stockpiled assets without tanking (a concept that is completely alien in European Sport). When I look at Philadelphia, a team that has been tanking for several years now, I think it speaks volumes for the roles that both Ainge and Stevens have had to play in building a team that really could achieve sustained success without embarrassing the franchise with multiple losing seasons in a row.

Also FWIW, I take being called European a compliment; I was a #bremainer through and through. It also makes me feel cultured, when in fact I'm sat here with a beer watching football (sorry soccer) and writing about basketball.

Anyway, bring on game two. Let's hope we can do it this time without having to suffer a 16-0 start.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline Oxford Celt

• Jaden Springer
P.s. Rollie Mass - Chester is a lovely area. Sounds like you and your son were decent players. I played for Reading Rockets until two ACL ruptures in 2 years put an end to my playing career and started by coaching one!

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
talking about soccer, what do you think about instituting a relegation system in the NBA to discourage tanking (it will never happen I know, but do you think something can be borrowed from soccer to discourage tanking)

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
TP OC!! Welcome to the blog. There are a significant minority of Debbie Downers on this board, but it would be boring without them. It's fun picking them apart or defending our relatively upbeat viewpoints.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »

Offline Oxford Celt

• Jaden Springer
talking about soccer, what do you think about instituting a relegation system in the NBA to discourage tanking (it will never happen I know, but do you think something can be borrowed from soccer to discourage tanking)

I think it's a case of swings and roundabouts. Obviously in soccer there's the possibility to get relegated to a lower division. Additionally, there's no such thing as a draft. Each club has a youth team and signs up players as young as 4-5! As a result, most of the young talent sign for clubs like Manchester United and Chelsea, so they have a constant stream of the best players in the country coming through.

So to put it simply, the threat of relegation is enough to prevent any club ever having a desire to tank. But as a result of the youth system, the big clubs get first dibs on the best young players, essentially guaranteeing their continued success. 

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Cheers! I love Cs fans overseas

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
P.s. Rollie Mass - Chester is a lovely area. Sounds like you and your son were decent players. I played for Reading Rockets until two ACL ruptures in 2 years put an end to my playing career and started by coaching one!
sorry about acl-my career ended right before university with severe knee injury -never could play again-congrats on coaching TP/TP

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hello there,

This is my first post to this board, and I'm using it mainly to ask a few questions about the general state of the Celtics and the views of 'proper' fans. As the title of the thread suggests, I'm a Brit, so go easy on me.

First of all, what a game that is currently taking place! It's nice to actually be able to catch a game at a reasonable time over here (it's 8pm as a type this). As the Wizzards took their early lead I thought 'this may be s long series', but the 'boucebackability' shown by the C's has been a joy to watch. Isaiah Thomas really is a brilliant player.

Secondly, and a more general point, it does seem like the organisation is in a massively positive position at the moment. 1st in the East, cap space, a young core of talented players, an excellent young coach, and an assortment of future draft picks, what's not to like? I'm already very interested to see what Ainge does this summer. As a personal opinion, I'd like to see him follow the same sort of formula in terms of bringing in the right personnel; not just going for the biggest name. This team really seems to be on the cusp of something great. Wholesale changes, as far as I can see, are not required.

Anyway, Washington seem to be getting back into this. So I'll sign off. Let's hope Boston can hold out for the win.

Cheers,

Ash

A bit of negativity on the board?
If they gave out ten dollar bills here, someone would complain that theirs was wrinkled, or they didn't get the first one.