Author Topic: jaylen and being a Celtic rookie  (Read 4511 times)

Re: jaylen and being a Celtic rookie
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Didn't come in to mop up, Rollie. He came in to stop bleeding, we were struggling. Kid did great. Think we will start to see him in more games earlier, albeit on a short leash. Key is to stay with defensive rotations and minimize turnovers.

Yeah the C's were getting smoked and the lead was dwindling fast.  I think he brought in Brown because Rozier had a couple rough moments trying to contain Beal.  Stevens brought him for Rozier to try and slow Beal down IIRC. 

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I heard from people at the game that Brown came in because Smart walked off the floor and was seemingly intentionally fouling people out of displeasure.

There was a moment where Smart walked off the floor after getting his fourth foul and there were only 4 Celtics on the court.

Doesn't take away from Brown's solid performance, but did anyone at the game see this?

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I heard from people at the game that Brown came in because Smart walked off the floor and was seemingly intentionally fouling people out of displeasure.

There was a moment where Smart walked off the floor after getting his fourth foul and there were only 4 Celtics on the court.

Doesn't take away from Brown's solid performance, but did anyone at the game see this?

That was earlier.  Announcers said Isaiah came in for someone other than Smart (prolly Rozier) but Smart needed a breather.  It was after that that Brown came in. 

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Didn't come in to mop up, Rollie. He came in to stop bleeding, we were struggling. Kid did great. Think we will start to see him in more games earlier, albeit on a short leash. Key is to stay with defensive rotations and minimize turnovers.

Yeah the C's were getting smoked and the lead was dwindling fast.  I think he brought in Brown because Rozier had a couple rough moments trying to contain Beal.  Stevens brought him for Rozier to try and slow Beal down IIRC.
It was actually for Bogdanovic. He went off for like 9 pts and CBS went bigger to try and better cover him.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The time Jaylen played today was key. He wasn't playing in a blowout. The Wiz were making a run. The guy he had to guard just scored like 10 straight points. He got important minutes.

And he delivered. He shut down Bogdanovic. He scored some points. He had a big rebound he fought for and then a great pass outside after a drive for an open 3.

That as a rookie he can play important minutes and deliver will be huge for his future confidence and develoment. Not many top of the draft rookies have these opportunities to develop this way in their first year.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 08:11:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Danny ainge did not want to break team chemistry with a trade-think about that act of faith

Ainge will do whatever it takes to make the team better, regardless of who he has to trade.

Act of faith? Not exactly. More like he didn't get the return he wanted.

I don't know why both can't be true.

Right.  Danny would not have traded KG and Paul together in 2009, maybe not even for Lebron.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Brad motivates these guys by sitting them down, so when that they come back in, they are willing to run through a brick wall to win.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The time Jaylen played today was key. He wasn't playing in a blowout. The Wiz were making a run. The guy he had to guard just scored like 10 straight points. He got important minutes.

And he delivered. He shut down Bogdanovic. He scored some points. He had a big rebound he fought for and then a great pass outside after a drive for an open 3.

That as a rookie he can play important minutes and deliver will be huge for his future confidence and develoment. Not many top of the draft rookies have these opportunities to develop this way in their first year.

So happy to see Jaylen get minutes and perform, but I think Rozier got kind-of a raw deal. On the first Wiz possession after Jaylen entered, he got picked off on a screen and Bogdanovic air-mailed a three with only Horford in the vicinity. Rozier was always right there, but Bogs just got hot.

After that play, though, Jaylen was great. I know that Gerald is the good luck charm, but I would like to see more of the rookie.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Danny ainge did not want to break team chemistry with a trade-think about that act of faith

Ainge will do whatever it takes to make the team better, regardless of who he has to trade.

Because of evidence.

Oh, evidence. Right, my bad. Forgot about that. That pesky evidence.

Seriously, I don't see your point. Or, really: why couldn't the Celtics both be looking to preserve team chemistry and not do a deal that didn't get them the return they wanted? Surely that doesn't seem odd?

Now, is your understanding, perhaps, that Rollie's "faith" means "believes that this team is a contender"? - but Ainge has made crystal clear that he thinks it would be a "miracle" - that's his word - if this team won a championship. Anyway I didn't take Rollie to mean that. 

This team, for all its flaws and lack of star power, got to the top seed, increased its win total from last season; but, more than that: they play together, they're a family (so says brother Jae Crowder), they've got chemistry.

It wouldn't have been hard to add DeMarcus Cousins at the deadline this season.  Vlade would likely not have forgotten what Boston has to offer, so he was (you can bet on it) calling Danny early and often. And if the Celtics' Brass discounted the ample evidence that Boogie is a coach-killer and a locker room cancer and can be counted on to spoil the chemistry of any group of people he gets in the middle of, they could have had him for a song and a cigar and a fare thee well, which is what New Orleans got him for, god help them.

I could go on, but the point is made.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:41:22 AM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Jaylen was getting some tough rookie calls and and non calls it should be a lot better for him next year.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 04:11:43 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

this was before washington in closeout bulls game that was mop up by my definition-
brad took out the starters and substituted in mass-

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 04:43:16 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

Trader dan, as to act of faith i wasn't even talking about major trade but adding a piece that would be a rental or a role player-
I think he stated he valued teams chemistry
 I believe without that, we wouldn't have made it out of first round
Isaiah said" he just wanted to quit"
Last year s playoffs should have had an asterisk -we lost bradley,crowder was hobbled by ankle injury, kelly lost his shoulder and sully went over 300lbs
Everybody has just watched what happens when ,rondo went out and butler had knee pain
Now morriss ,he was the player that worried me, a "real tough guy" for washington

Ainge will do whatever it takes to make the team better, regardless of who he has to trade but he didn't
trader dan felt this team would get him as far as possible and no move would get by Lebron or the warriors

Because of evidence.

Seriously, I don't see your point. Or, really: why couldn't the Celtics both be looking to preserve team chemistry and not do a deal that didn't get them the return they wanted? Surely that doesn't seem odd?

Now, is your understanding, perhaps, that Rollie's "faith" means "believes that this team is a contender"? - but Ainge has made crystal clear that he thinks it would be a "miracle" - that's his word - if this team won a championship. Anyway I didn't take Rollie to mean that.

It wouldn't have been hard to add DeMarcus Cousins at the deadline this season.  Vlade would likely not have forgotten what Boston has to offer, so he was (you can bet on it) calling Danny early and often. And if the Celtics' Brass discounted the ample evidence that Boogie is a coach-killer and a locker room cancer and can be counted on to spoil the chemistry of any group of people he gets in the middle of, they could have had him for a song and a cigar and a fare thee well, which is what New Orleans got him for, god help them.

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

It was actually for Bogdanovic. He went off for like 9 pts and CBS went bigger to try and better cover him.

PAOBoston that is what I saw also, Brad tried Smart then Rozier and then went for Jaylen's size to quiet Bogdonavich.  In reality the next play Al stepped out on Bogdonavich and he missed badly.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 08:09:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
the mop came from OP written before washington start of game-

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Because of evidence.

Cousins was traded for Hield, who their owner think will be a Steph Curry like player, and a likely top 10 pick this season. Plus, it allowed them to give more playing time to Skal and Cauley-Stein. So saying that the return was marginal isn't accurate.

Ainge not moving assets was not an act of faith. He was simply not able to get a deal he liked.
So is this the act of faith from Ainge you're referring to?

“I believe the extra-ordinary is possible. But I do not look at our team as a title contender,” Ainge said on 98.5 the Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich show. “But like I always say, it’s important what they think. I hope that they believe differently.”