Author Topic: jaylen and being a Celtic rookie  (Read 4496 times)

jaylen and being a Celtic rookie
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:28:28 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Jaylen got some mop up time but just part of learning curve
He took away most of greens minutes and got rookie time as well as a stretch of starting when injuries hit-he got a chance to score 19 points against lebron
He has witnessed the gifts of isaiah,the quiet defensive intensity of avery
the force of intangibles of both marcus and crowder
And the calming ever present vet leadership of al horford while making everybody better
 Then there is Green whose minutes were given to or taken by jaylen
Green stayed team first from practice to staying engaged on bench
Brad started green down 0-2
 It was the right time and the right match up for him and green produced 4 straight games
Jaylen showed energy, some handles and stood out in the mop up time
Jaylen has the  gift of another playoff series, against a more physical team with a really talented backcourt
Now jaylen may match up better than green
How many rookies have had the pleasure of being part of a number one seed or to move on in playoffs -not philly,not the lakers not the suns rookies

Even through the despair of isaiah, the team despair and confusion of being down 2-0 the celtics found a way
Family and team family and a spark from a player who stayed ready
The not giving up and winning 4 straight to move on-priceless experience for a 20 year old
             BEING FORGED TO BE A BOSTON CELTIC

Danny ainge did not want to break team chemistry with a trade-think about that act of faith
brad was not proud of winning the series but in the action of the team as they supported isaiah
          this TEAM would have RED lighting a cigar now

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:01:17 AM by rollie mass »

Re: jaylen and being a Celtic rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Plenty to be proud of with this team, and to be excited by with the rookie Jaylen.

I would guess that Jaylen may not get more minutes in this series than he did against Chicago.  I just get the feeling that Stevens is not inclined to take chances on playing the rookie during the playoffs.  He seems more comfortable going with the vet, Green, and sure enough Gerald delivered.  As smart and studious as Jaylen is, rookies have a lot to learn.  Perhaps Jaylen has been missing defensive assignments too often for Brad's liking.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
A lot of people forget about "the rookie wall", which is a very real phenomenon.  Rookies are used to play far less games in a season, and so in their nba rookie year they typically hit a wall (physically and mentally) that reduces the inefficiency and focus. 

I still think Jaylen physically has it, so at this point I think he'll be given a chance (albeit a short leash) but he needs to have crisp and accurate defensive rotations.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A lot of people forget about "the rookie wall", which is a very real phenomenon.  Rookies are used to play far less games in a season, and so in their nba rookie year they typically hit a wall (physically and mentally) that reduces the inefficiency and focus. 

I still think Jaylen physically has it, so at this point I think he'll be given a chance (albeit a short leash) but he needs to have crisp and accurate defensive rotations.

I agree with this. He just happen to hit his later than most. People forget he's been playing and working none stop( maybe a days rest here and there during the college season) since the college season started. Then after it's working out for the combine, after that its team work outs,draft, report to the team, summer league, back to the team to work out over the summer, pre-preseason, preseason, and now the season.

Once the season is done he should take a week or two with no ball, everyone should. Regroup, refocus, and get back to work.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Danny ainge did not want to break team chemistry with a trade-think about that act of faith
brad was not proud of winning the series but in the action of the team as they supported isaiah
          this TEAM would have RED lighting a cigar now

Dam' right.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

This is completely untrue. Ainge will do whatever it takes to make the team better, regardless of who he has to trade. Let's not forget he nearly traded Pierce for a draft pick (which would've been used to draft Paul) during Pierce's prime. He also traded, or in Allen's case tried to trade, every member of the 2008 starting lineup, including the coach.

Act of faith? Not exactly. More like he didn't get the return he wanted.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Ainge will do whatever it takes to make the team better, regardless of who he has to trade.

I don't know why both can't be true.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I like Jaylen as a player and a person. He's always giving 100% and has a winning mentality.

He'd probably get more a lot minutes if he focused more on setting up his teammates than trying to score so often. For example, when he drives to the hoop he might work on drawing a double team rather than just getting a bucket. This leaves a player open for an open shot. Or, use his speed and lateral quickness to set an unexpected screen. Or, simply pay attention more to who is hot and try to get the ball to that player if possible. Passing more should be a priority.

On defense (because of his quickness) he could probably afford to gamble more on double teams ...especially when the clock is winding down. Somewhat like Dennis Rodman might have done.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
brad puts jaylen in the final 3 minutes and he drills a three  and skies on a closeout corner thre disrupting the shot-brad is the master
gotta build some playoff confidence in the young one
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:48:59 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 03:41:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Jaylen was the cherry on top of the Sundae that was this game!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 03:44:52 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
JB looked great in crunch time! Boy , does Stevens have some large cohones! He is our Wizard of coaching

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I was so happy to see Jaylen make and immediate, positive impact. He wasn't perfect but getting crunch time minutes in the second round is great for the rook. I'm hopeful he'll get some more minutes this series. I definitely think he earned himself some more minutes next game.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Maybe he gets the start...long shot but if Markieff's out, I could see it.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Ainge will do whatever it takes to make the team better, regardless of who he has to trade.

I don't know why both can't be true.
Because of evidence.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Didn't come in to mop up, Rollie. He came in to stop bleeding, we were struggling. Kid did great. Think we will start to see him in more games earlier, albeit on a short leash. Key is to stay with defensive rotations and minimize turnovers.