Author Topic: why do so many fans of other teams hate us?  (Read 9810 times)

Re: why do so many fans of other teams hate us?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2017, 06:45:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, they're going to hate us even more over the next 5 years or so...

And if Jaylen / Marcus continue to trend upwards?

Make it 10 years.

I'm hoping that The Balls (Yes, Lonzo AND Lavar) get drafted by The Lakers and we get Fultz. That will help to renew our rivalry with the Purple and Gold and renew yet MORE hatred for us.

We'll see if Lonzo's comments about "Better Player" pans out once Fultz has some Big Dogs running with him.

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
My anti-Boston friends pretty universally claim that Boston is a racist city.  With continued criticisms within the media (e.g., SNL comedian recently identified Boston as the "most racist city" he has ever visited; A 2015 BU study that reported a life expectancy of 90 years for residents of Back Bay compared to a life expectancy of 59 years in nearby Roxbury), celebration of the predominantly white Celtics teams of the past, and the Brady/Belichik era of dominance, etc., I assume this is an ongoing narrative. Hopefully I'm speculating inaccurately, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 04:05:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
My anti-Boston friends pretty universally claim that Boston is a racist city.  With continued criticisms within the media (e.g., SNL comedian recently identified Boston as the "most racist city" he has ever visited; A 2015 BU study that reported a life expectancy of 90 years for residents of Back Bay compared to a life expectancy of 59 years in nearby Roxbury), celebration of the predominantly white Celtics teams of the past, and the Brady/Belichik era of dominance, etc., I assume this is an ongoing narrative. Hopefully I'm speculating inaccurately, though.
Dio they ignore the part where Boston had the first black basketball player? Or do they discuss that this is what you see when you walk down the steps of our state house?  I agree Boston can be a cruddy hypocritical place. But so can other places.

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 04:19:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I just got on some other blogs (eg. Chicago, Philly, Washington) and the hate there for the Celtics is a ****ton. As a Celtics fan I can't see why every non Celtics fan hate us like we killed their whole family. Is there any reason for this?

How old are you ??

The rest of the league has always hated the Celtics since we began kicking their collective ass in Bill Russell's rookie season (1956-57). It's the same with the Yankees, Canadiens, Packers, Notre Dame football and Kentucky basketball. Yes, I realize there are a few others who could make the Most Hated list across different sports.
15 lol, fell in love during the 05 06 season when I was a kid (iirc Pierce killed Kobe in a regilar season game)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 04:22:22 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Dio they ignore the part where Boston had the first black basketball player? Or do they discuss that this is what you see when you walk down the steps of our state house?  I agree Boston can be a cruddy hypocritical place. But so can other places.

Boston also had the first black pro head coach. But these are facts and facts aren't important these days. People go by their gut and many peoples guts say bad things about Boston and race.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 04:48:15 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
It's so good to be underrated. Nobody believed us to be 1st seed, nobody believed we're gonna turn the series from 0:2 and a lots of other stuff. So let them not believe. I just like this.  ;)

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2017, 06:03:04 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I find it funny that most of the nba fans, reporter, old players and analysts believes Washington is favored for the ECF. That means they really believe the wizards will beat the Celtics?
What king of analysis is that?
If you have matched the games between those 2 teams the last 2 seasons, wizards get spanked each time Bradley is on the court. Check for yourself.
Wizards strength is Ball and Beal. Our strength is guards defense.
Also I find it very strange that when Pierce was with them, they were a better team. Now he's gone they didn't make the playoffs last year and got ups and down this entire season.
I'm sorry, I'm not blinded by their awesome duo. With a good defense, they will still score but not efficiently.
If the Wizards beat us, it will be due to injury, or due to their bench/Porter.
This match-up is much more favorable than the Bulls one. I'd say 60/40 for the Cs.
Yet nobody sees that. I bet Brad does.
Very disappointed with Shaq, Barkley and co (caron butler, JVG...) basically almost everybody on tv, lol.

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Boston also had the first black pro head coach. But these are facts and facts aren't important these days. People go by their gut and many peoples guts say bad things about Boston and race.
Aren't we one of only 4 states that had a black governor? Chief Justice of our Supreme Court too

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

Aren't we one of only 4 states that had a black governor? Chief Justice of our Supreme Court too

You're problem is that you're using real stats to back up your argument like a normal/rational person would. Unfortunately, you aren't arguing with normal/rational people. You can throw out all the stats you want and the people you're arguing with will just say "bussing" or "someone pooped on Bill Russell's bed." If you point to similar issues in other cities, they gloss over those. It's an argument that can't be won so I've stopped trying.

I also have to point out that that BU study is complete garbage. People in the South End are rich people from all over the country/world - of course they have a longer a longer life expectancy than the lower income folks in Roxbury. A more fair study would compare the life expectancy of a white person in the South End with the life expectancy of a black person in the South End and the same for Roxbury. My wealthy (white) grandparents both lived into their 90's. My blue collar (white) grandparents barely made it into their 70's. Life sucks for poor people and it's infinitely easier for wealthy people...that's just the way it is.

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Most successful NBA franchise EVER + a quick rebuild after the Pierce era = passionate hatred. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
In terms of Boston sports, my wife moved to Boston with no sports allegiances of any kind.  We went to a few games at Fenway, but she found the fans obnoxious at best, and passively racist at worst, and we stopped going.  We went to minor league games instead.  Pawtucket was great, but New Hampshire was as bad as Fenway, and this was AA baseball.

We didn't go to any Celtics games while she was there, but my one Celtics game in 2002 left me with a similar bad taste (except the fans were blatantly homophobic instead of passively racist).  Despite them being my favorite team, and living in Boston for another decade, I never returned to the Garden (or Fleet Center/whatever name it went by.)

We moved to DC in 2012.  Nats fans are much nicer than Sox fans.  I can show up to a Wizards game in a Celtics shirt, and no one says anything, except maybe some playful banter.  Minor-league baseball is as family-friendly as it should be, unlike we found it to be at the games we went to in New Hampshire.

Maybe for some people there is a history that goes back decades, but our exposure to and knowledge of Boston fandom is largely from the last decade or so, and even though I'm a fan of the Celtics, my opinion of Boston fans isn't that far off from those who root for rival teams.

Mind you, I don't think it's all fans, and it's probably not a majority of fans, but there are enough to create a very off-putting atmosphere in a way that we haven't experienced elsewhere.  (We've also been to MLB games together in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and the Mets.  We haven't seen the Yankees because we imagine it would be similar to Boston.)

And that's not to insult Boston.  We'd move back tomorrow if we could.  But it is real.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:53:19 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
lots of success and hostile in-your-face fans. Its kinda in the city's identity, whether that identity is manufactured or not, the city buys into it.

if your arent with us, Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. you. also were better than you and we know it.

Its the opposite of St. Louis's "best fans in baseball". Obviously drunken Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s will take anything too far, but I love that Bostons a hostile environment. I love that the fans are obnoxious and passionate.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

The people talking trash have never been to Boston I'll bet .   

Talking about something they don't know Richard about .

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Quit playing their stupid game by pathetically reaching for info to say, "See, we're not so bad."
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Other places have "southern hospitality" or they're "progressive" or they have family values or some sort of BS. This is Boston. Do your job. We do not care about your feelings. We started a world war with the strongest power in history because we didn't feel like paying taxes on tea any more.  Some people have a hard time with being #2. That's not my problem because I'm from New England.  If you don't like it look around you. I had a grandmother that moved NORTH when she retired. Lived alone till she was 92. She gave birth to 4 girls. The guy who is the second longest tenured employee down at the hardware is mentally and physically special. What's your excuse? When terrorists mess with us the whole city plays a day long game of hide and seek and encourages cops to come into our basements. And we do it without thinking about it. Yeah we fudge up all the time. We reelected a guy 7 times that drove someone off a bridge, walked across an island, and couldn't find the phone to call the police. But when your senator needed something done who did he go to?  You think Boston Celtics fans have problems? We're Irish. We'll live with a problem our whole life.

The meme that best sums us up is the one I can't put here where it shows an overhead of the NYC grid and says "New York because we want you to know where you are and how to get where you're going" and underneath has an overhead of the Boston streets and says "Boston. Because ....."

Hey would we tolerate a coach for two minutes that complained about the other star player palming the ball? Have we ever done that?