Author Topic: Wizards (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 2 Game 1 4/30/17  (Read 63760 times)

Re: Wizards (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 2 Game 1 4/30/17
« Reply #825 on: April 30, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
This team plays its best when its back is to the wall, when it plays with a chip on its shoulders and exerts serious energy on defense. The early lead by Washington unleashed the inspired defense that led to probably the C's best game of the season.

Ugh, this is so frustrating at how true this really is. The last several years we never had much problem engaging that "chip on the shoulder," but adding more talent this year seems to have made it harder to do.

That's why I kind of worry about what will happen if we add a Hayward or Griffin this summer.

you don't worry about that. you HAVE to ADD talent!

That leprechaun pic is amazing btw

« Reply #826 on: April 30, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
one possession at a time. one quarter at a time.   one game at a time. that is 5 straight wins.

let's win the next....if we can do that all we need is a split in DC then we have a shot to close out at home in 5.  I am not predicting that...just saying

Hold that train in the station .................. you went from one possession at a time to us closing it out in 5 games. Uh, let's just stay focused.

And let's enjoy this. This is one fun team to watch when they are shooting well, flying around on defense and gang-rebounding.

just doing a hypothetical
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #827 on: April 30, 2017, 03:51:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Please kiss CBS for me someone. He made the correct lineup change (called the right timeouts) AGAIN!! He is killing it on subs this postseason. He even quickly sent they starters back after the knocked off 4-6pts quick and when smaht kept screwing up (worse 4th I have seen from him).

If I kiss CBS when I see him will you bail me out?

« Reply #828 on: April 30, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
This team plays its best when its back is to the wall, when it plays with a chip on its shoulders and exerts serious energy on defense. The early lead by Washington unleashed the inspired defense that led to probably the C's best game of the season.

Ugh, this is so frustrating at how true this really is. The last several years we never had much problem engaging that "chip on the shoulder," but adding more talent this year seems to have made it harder to do.

That's why I kind of worry about what will happen if we add a Hayward or Griffin this summer.

you don't worry about that. you HAVE to ADD talent!

That leprechaun pic is amazing btw

thank you! TP!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #829 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
So someone explain this to me. How does Washington get to be so mediocre to bad defensively when they have a collection of pretty solid to good defenders? They might not have "elite" defenders like AB and Smart, but Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre, and Morris are all above average individual defenders, which makes up 80% of their starting lineup and 5/6 of their top-6 rotation guys.

I wouldn't consider any of those guys an above average defender.

« Reply #830 on: April 30, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Please kiss CBS for me someone. He made the correct lineup change (called the right timeouts) AGAIN!! He is killing it on subs this postseason. He even quickly sent they starters back after the knocked off 4-6pts quick and when smaht kept screwing up (worse 4th I have seen from him).

If I kiss CBS when I see him will you bail me out?

LOL it won't be bail money but hospital bills after the Cs security tunes you up. I got you!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #831 on: April 30, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I luv that snaggle toof little guy  ;D

« Reply #832 on: April 30, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
So someone explain this to me. How does Washington get to be so mediocre to bad defensively when they have a collection of pretty solid to good defenders? They might not have "elite" defenders like AB and Smart, but Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre, and Morris are all above average individual defenders, which makes up 80% of their starting lineup and 5/6 of their top-6 rotation guys.
How are the C's not a elite defensive team with their defensive talent?

#mystery

« Reply #833 on: April 30, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I hope Stevens tells the refs to look for those moving screens that Gortat sets.  The Wizards generated a lot of open looks because he would screen and then keep walking our defender out of the play.  It's difficult to defend a pick anyway.  If the screener can get away with that, it's almost impossible. 

We probably won't shoot 49% from three for the entire series, but we also probably won't spot them 16 points before we enter the arena. 

Good win.  Love this team's effort in the last five games; the defensive intensity is there now, even if the execution falters sometimes.  Be smart, clean up as many of the mistakes as possible, and crush this team. 

« Reply #834 on: April 30, 2017, 04:03:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

What happened to Smaht? Did he take himself out of game at some point?

« Reply #835 on: April 30, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
I hope Stevens tells the refs to look for those moving screens that Gortat sets.  The Wizards generated a lot of open looks because he would screen and then keep walking our defender out of the play.  It's difficult to defend a pick anyway.  If the screener can get away with that, it's almost impossible. 

We probably won't shoot 49% from three for the entire series, but we also probably won't spot them 16 points before we enter the arena. 

Good win.  Love this team's effort in the last five games; the defensive intensity is there now, even if the execution falters sometimes.  Be smart, clean up as many of the mistakes as possible, and crush this team. 

i used to hate when KG would get always called for illegal screens
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #836 on: April 30, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Couldn't help laughing at this. On a serious note, I love what IT has been doing for us and even after all he has been through. A little guy with a big heart.

Credit to @SBNationNBA

IT is truly our Alpha Dog..amazing, we add a top 2 pick and Hayward (he can be alpha/beta companion)to this already strong team and we could be looking at a run of 60 win seasons and titles.

Not just an Alpha Dog, but a Dirt Dog too now  ;)

It was a good luck thing.....the injury ignited him into beast mode.

He should keep the look though the playoffs ..... :)

It's a good luck charm

« Reply #837 on: April 30, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Very good individual defenders and a very good team defense can be two separate things. A team defense that meshes and moves as one unit attacking the ball is a beautiful thing to watch ("five on a string"). Go back and study video of the 2008 Celtics with Garnett conducting the symphony. I loved watching that team play defense.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #838 on: April 30, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I wouldn't consider any of those guys an above average defender.
I agree. I never considered any of those good defenders. Wall is average but the others aren't good defenders at all. They have nice measurables but don't utilize it. Also, I don't know if its Brooks defensive scheme or not but in the Wiz games I have seen their team defense hasn't been very good. Okay, yes. Good, no.

« Reply #839 on: April 30, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Apparently, that was a permanent tooth that came out of IT, not a veneer or anything. That's crazy! He had to take a hell of a shot to get an actual, permanent tooth knocked out!