Author Topic: Random Thought: Could Dwight Howard Be Available This Summer?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Especially if Millsap does leave Atlanta and goes to another team (not Boston)?

At that point, ATL would be starting a rebuild and could shop Howard too.

Howard has 2 years left on his contract at about 23.5M/Year I believe.

We've all heard the rumors/possibility that the C's go after Carmelo if they whiff on every single draft day target (Butler, George), and FA targets (Griffin, Hayward, Millsap), but what about Howard? Like Carmelo, highly doubt Howard would cost a ton (no BKN Picks or Brown).

And I'm aware Horford doesn't seem to like Howard, but I can see this as like a "last ditch Plan M" kind of option.

Could this be a possibility, or did I just anger a bunch of people here who dislike Howard?  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Random Thought: Could Dwight Howard Be Available This Summer?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Bumping.

Could this actually be a good or horrible idea if we whiff on Millsap too?

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm hoping Horford stays at C, so no thanks on DH for that reason alone.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:00:54 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's hard to see Ainge and Stevens wanting someone totally out of sync with their offense, especially at that price.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think the Hawks are the type of team to blow everything up and start over. They seem to want to put a competitive team on the floor every season. Patiently build up from there. Want to avoid being amongst the worst.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't think the Hawks are the type of team to blow everything up and start over. They seem to want to put a competitive team on the floor every season. Patiently build up from there. Want to avoid being amongst the worst.

Idk if Millsap leaves.. who else do they really have besides Howard and Schroeder?

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

We've all heard the rumors/possibility that the C's go after Carmelo if they whiff on every single draft day target (Butler, George), and FA targets (Griffin, Hayward, Millsap), but what about Howard? Like Carmelo, highly doubt Howard would cost a ton (no BKN Picks or Brown).

And I'm aware Horford doesn't seem to like Howard, but I can see this as like a "last ditch Plan M" kind of option.

Could this be a possibility, or did I just anger a bunch of people here who dislike Howard?  :laugh:

It's not the craziest idea, but Howard seems to want a genuinely featured role and Boston simply won't give him that - I don't see him bring brought in to eat that salary spot when he'd be a rebounder off the bench. My guess? If Millsap walks Howard stays and Atlanta re-works their system to fit Howard a little better, and if Millsap stays Howard is shipped out to someone desperate like....Phoenix, for Tyson Chandler and Jared Dudley.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:23:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

If Horford is fine with it I'd trade for him, but only for a low cost like the Memphis pick and some role players
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 02:00:49 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would be all over bringing Howard here. 

He's on a very reasonable contract for a guy who just finished the season averaging 13.5 points (on 63% shooting) and 12.7 rebounds.

His rebounding ability, ability to draw double teams, and sheer physical presence is exactly what this team needs. 

Regardless of whether Horford likes him or not, Howard's ability to dominate the paint (and draw double teams) would leave Horford (and the rest of the Celtics) with open jumpers all night, every night. 

That's exactly how Dwight was able to be so successful in Orlando - he was a monster in the middle and was an automatic double team, so they just gave him the ball and surrounded him with shooters.  Somebody always ended up open, and all they had to do is make the shot.

The biggest reason we lost game 1 and 2 in Chicago was that we got smashed on the boards.  One of the biggest reasons we got down 16-0 today is because we got smashed in the paint. 

We got lucky enough to be able to ride the Kelly Olynyk random rainbow of beastliness back in to the game, otherwise this game could have been really ugly.

If we had a Howard / Horford frontcourt then we probably would have swept Chicago.  Even the Wizards strong frontcourt would have nightmares trying to defend a Howard / Horford front line. 

People tend to talk about Howard as if he's washed up, and is no longer any use on offence.  People are completely oblivious that he put up just as many points for the Hawks this season as Horford did for us, Howard just did it a LOT more efficiently while also grabbing twice as many rebounds.

Dwight is stil a legitimate two-way big many while also being one of the greatest rebounders ever to play the game.  His potential impact should not be underestimated.  A team like this (ranked 1st in the playoffs in three pointers made, but lacks rebounding and physicality in the paint) is the perfect fit for Howard's game. 

Howard is basically a more experienced Andre Drummond, or a "super Perkins".  If you liked what the 08 Celtics looked like with Garnett and Perkins, then you'd like what the current Celtics would look like with Horford / Howard.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 02:52:11 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I would be all over bringing Howard here. 

He's on a very reasonable contract for a guy who just finished the season averaging 13.5 points (on 63% shooting) and 12.7 rebounds.

His rebounding ability, ability to draw double teams, and sheer physical presence is exactly what this team needs. 

Regardless of whether Horford likes him or not, Howard's ability to dominate the paint (and draw double teams) would leave Horford (and the rest of the Celtics) with open jumpers all night, every night. 

That's exactly how Dwight was able to be so successful in Orlando - he was a monster in the middle and was an automatic double team, so they just gave him the ball and surrounded him with shooters.  Somebody always ended up open, and all they had to do is make the shot.

The biggest reason we lost game 1 and 2 in Chicago was that we got smashed on the boards.  One of the biggest reasons we got down 16-0 today is because we got smashed in the paint. 

We got lucky enough to be able to ride the Kelly Olynyk random rainbow of beastliness back in to the game, otherwise this game could have been really ugly.

If we had a Howard / Horford frontcourt then we probably would have swept Chicago.  Even the Wizards strong frontcourt would have nightmares trying to defend a Howard / Horford front line. 

People tend to talk about Howard as if he's washed up, and is no longer any use on offence.  People are completely oblivious that he put up just as many points for the Hawks this season as Horford did for us, Howard just did it a LOT more efficiently while also grabbing twice as many rebounds.

Dwight is stil a legitimate two-way big many while also being one of the greatest rebounders ever to play the game.  His potential impact should not be underestimated.  A team like this (ranked 1st in the playoffs in three pointers made, but lacks rebounding and physicality in the paint) is the perfect fit for Howard's game. 

Howard is basically a more experienced Andre Drummond, or a "super Perkins".  If you liked what the 08 Celtics looked like with Garnett and Perkins, then you'd like what the current Celtics would look like with Horford / Howard.
Dwight isnt half the player he was in Orlando. Hes just got benched for the 4th quarter of an elimination game. He complains about his role. He isnt skilled. Hes not half the athlete he was in his prime and he seems to be a walking, talking, chemistry problem.

He is still a very good rebounder, and wouldnt be bullied by the Robin Lopez's of the world.

The biggest issue is that neither he nor Horford can really defend the 4 full time. I think wed kinda have to pick Horford or Howard and thats an easy call. Horford all day long.

Its unlikely Dwight would be OK with coming off the bench and 24 mil for a bench player is steep.

i wouldnt mind Howard to Boston but Id like it at the bottom of ideas. If we are going for declining ex-stars with chemistry questions Id rather pursue Melo.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 03:54:19 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't see why we'd want him at £23.5m. if we're looking at overpaid over the hill stars then Melo is a better choice

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't see why we'd want him at £23.5m. if we're looking at overpaid over the hill stars then Melo is a better choice

Well yeah, Howard or Melo I guess as "backup to our backup to our backup kind of backup options"  :laugh:

Depends what teams would ask for either (we don't know exactly besides NYK wanting Crowder back in a deal per reports).