Author Topic: Remember when everyone wanted to trade the farm for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 4366 times)

Re: Remember when everyone wanted to trade the farm for Jimmy Butler?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Never wanted to trade the farm for him. I wanted to trade the 16 pick and filler for him last year. This year I'm thinking of giving an offer of Rozier and three non Brooklyn firsts
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 01:20:12 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
Not everybody.

I received a lot of flack by saying that the asking price was too much.

What was it?

Bradley, Crowder, Bk17 & 18+ Smart and filler

HELL NO

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 01:22:29 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Jimmy isn't capable of leading a team anywhere. Glad we don't have him

Are any of the guys we'd trade for him?  Will any of the guys we draft?

You make the trade if it improves the team.  Just because a guy isn't Lebron doesn't mean he's not worth trading for.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:30:10 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I was never on board with giving up more than 2 major assets for Butler. I wanted PG13 a lot more.

He's a good player. Great even. But he's not that guy. His team put the Celtics on the ropes and he went on to shoot 42% from the field and only 2-13 from deep. Two games he didn't make a single free throw or get an assist.

If it wasn't for that fluke 23 FTA game 4, he would have been brutal in their last 4 losses.

Great player. Deserved all-star. But I'm not gutting my team for him. He's not the face of a contender.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 02:13:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Replace Bradley or Crowder with Butler and Amir with Taj Gibson and the Celts would be pretty darn good.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 03:14:55 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Replace Bradley or Crowder with Butler and Amir with Taj Gibson and the Celts would be pretty darn good.

Sure. Problem is. That is a lopsided trade that wouldnt happen in the real lif

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 03:50:12 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
That's why I hoped we'd trade for Paul George at the deadline but not Butler.  He is not a #1 option.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 05:52:05 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Bradley outplayed Butler. Ate his lunch and threw the bag a him.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 06:50:24 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I like Jimmy Butler, but I would rather have Avery with his contract that does mostly what Butler does at his current contract. We would get a bit more scoring, and some "star power" for calls from the refs, but I much rather leave that cap room to upgrade Crowders spot or our big situation.

Crowder is a bench player and he needs to be relegated as such. His position is generally a position in the NBA that is a scoring one and he just doesnt have the ability to do it. It will hurt his ego for a bit but he'd become a very important 6th man off the bench with Marcus.

I'm not touching Butler in order to leave room for Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Blake Griffin, Paul Milsap, a trade for Carmelo/Porzingis.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 07:05:50 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I like Jimmy Butler, but I would rather have Avery with his contract that does mostly what Butler does at his current contract. We would get a bit more scoring, and some "star power" for calls from the refs, but I much rather leave that cap room to upgrade Crowders spot or our big situation.

Crowder is a bench player and he needs to be relegated as such. His position is generally a position in the NBA that is a scoring one and he just doesnt have the ability to do it. It will hurt his ego for a bit but he'd become a very important 6th man off the bench with Marcus.

I'm not touching Butler in order to leave room for Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Blake Griffin, Paul Milsap, a trade for Carmelo/Porzingis.

I also think Porzingis is available... I think we need front court starters not wings at the moment. KP would be great

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I wouldn't give the farm for George or butler.  Danny has given us vets, youth, draft picks and a top notch coach.  No reason to gut the team for any one player.   I'd welcome butler to team though.  He just played against in no order, crowder, Bradley and smart all taking turns on him throughout every game.  Guy is a talent, when rondo was playing he was making butlers job easier.  Rondo went down butler had to work even harder.  And butler brings it on defensive end

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 07:15:32 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I wanted George way more then Butler. But I'm not even all that sold at PG at the moment. I'm not sure either could get us where we want.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 07:22:46 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I think these playoffs have confirmed Danny made the right decision to wait rather than trade the farm for butler or PG.

Gordon Hayward has been awesome and we have maybe a 30-50 pct chance of getting him without giving up any players. 

No reason to deal a lot for butler or George before we see what happens there...I think I'd put Hayward ahead of butler personally in a vacuum at this point.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:30 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I "REALLY" like Butler's game.

As I've said before in a different thread  - he's got Celtic DNA in him. Rondo must be rubbing off on him which is not bad at all.

He is the Tim Duncan of Small Forwards. His game will age well - in that he seems to not really rely on sheer athleticism to excel.

After watching him this series he really has no weaknesses to his game. He's intelligent, he's a very good defender, can shoot from deep, can post up, is patient, is smooth (without being flashy), can distribute, is physical, gets to the line (and makes them) and has a mean streak in him.

The Bull's losing this series has nothing to do with him or Rondo. It has MORE to do with Avery Bradley elevating his game AND BOS wanting this more.

Avery's play had me confident even IF Rondo would've suited up.

CHI's been in a "tinkering" state all season and only seem to hit a groove towards the end there - with RONDO getting consistent minutes as a starter. I have more respect for Hoiberg in dealing with this - in that he tried his best to deal with the hand he was given.

I believe that CHI's asking price for him will remain high but as I've said before I REALLY like Jimmy Butler. My gut is that he stays in CHI though - along with Rondo.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:16:13 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This.  Bradley outplayed Butler in every facet of the game this series (ignore the ppg, he was very inefficient) going head-to-head.  Can't get a much better comparison than that.  Trading for Butler would have taken a big chunk out of this team's core, and for a player that would not have helped in these playoffs much more than Bradley.  I'm not saying Bradley is a better player, just that not making the deal was the right move.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:17:57 AM by Surferdad »