Author Topic: Matchups VS Washington. Who starts at PF?  (Read 6761 times)

Re: Matchups VS Washington. Who starts at PF?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
1.Just take their guards out of their game and play ours, play green and if Morris is going to punish him so be it because that means Wall and Beal isn't getting the ball and that's not their game
2.Start IT, if both their guards are rolling and IT isn;t then you put both AB+Smart in, otherwise it's the same with the Bulls, let them ISO IT and give only some help, by doing this you control the flow of the game

And we have better bench, you alreay knew who can perform (JJ/TR/KO/JB)

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I see some JJ here and there.

But looking at the Chicago series, I find he has been underperforming actually. Few points, not a lot of energy. Not that good behind the 3 point line... I don't think he can start against the Wiz.

Maybe starting Amir and then go small faster than before is a solution

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 04:15:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
IT on Wall
Bradley on Bradley
Green on Porter
Crowder on Morris
And
AL on Gortat
Wall uses speed more than post ups...
This right here.

And I can't believe that the few posters who have been calling for IT to come off the bench are still doing it after everything he has done this year and in the Bulls series. Are you guys for real? IT is a starter and leader. He ain't coming off the bench.

Also, I saw one serious suggestion of Micket starting(the other was a joke). For all inents and purposes, except for some mop up minutes in a blowout, Mickey's career in Boston is over. Same for young.

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Game 1 Green will start. 4 in a row in wins you go with it. I think IT will pick up Porter some on D. AB will get Wall for first 5 then Smart for 5 and some Rozier too. I think that will be the reason we win is the fact we can throw 3-4 great defenders at Wall. Should be fun with the earlier bad blood and all. Go Celtics!!!
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Celts would have a better chance to win this series with AB , Smart starting and slowing down Wall, Beal

And IT4 coming off the bench and torching their 2nd unit

Do you actually believe this?

When you're talking about Triboy, all bets are off. He's the same guy that wanted to take Sabonis with the 3rd pick and said Mickey's number would be in the rafters.

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
IT on Wall
Bradley on Bradley
Green on Porter
Crowder on Morris
And
AL on Gortat
Wall uses speed more than post ups...
This right here.

And I can't believe that the few posters who have been calling for IT to come off the bench are still doing it after everything he has done this year and in the Bulls series. Are you guys for real? IT is a starter and leader. He ain't coming off the bench.

Also, I saw one serious suggestion of Micket starting(the other was a joke). For all inents and purposes, except for some mop up minutes in a blowout, Mickey's career in Boston is over. Same for young.
IT coming off the bench is ridiculous. But he's also not going to be John Wall's primary defender. He would get absolutely roasted by Wall. I assume Stevens is going to have him camp out on Porter and hope he doesn't try to post up.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I'm really leaning towards putting Thomas on Porter. Porter has no post-up game at all and if the Wizards try to force feed him with post-ups it will be change their entire offensive game. If the lineup remains status quo then that would mean:

Green - Morris
Thomas - Porter
Horford - Gortat
Crowder - Wall
Bradley - Beal

This is a huge problem, since unlike the Bulls series, we can't hide Green on anyone. Ideally you would want him on Beal, but Green would get torched off screens with his poor IQ. Crowder on Wall is also an issue, but that has more to do with how much Green scares me defending either of their guards.

Which leads me to my ideal starting lineup, and one that has Smart starting. I know Stevens likes having Smart come off the bench. However, the Wizards bench is pretty awful and I don't worry about having to defend Bogdanovic or Jennings. Instead I'd rather go with our best 5 from the jump. Especially against the Wizards who will be playing Wall and Beal about 40+ minutes each. So my starting lineup would be:

Crowder - Morris
Thomas - Porter
Horford - Gortat
Smart - Wall
Bradley - Beal

I prefer to put Smart on Wall since he can play off him and go under screens. On the other hand, Beal is their best offensive weapon and Bradley has been better at stopping him that Smart has.

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 04:54:47 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Eddie, the starting lineup is interesting but it will have trouble scoring IMO

about IT on Porter, Porter is 203 cm, the height disparity seems  too big to me

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Yeah, Porter is 6-9 and has a long wingspan. However, he has no post-up game. He's similar to Crowder who needs to be facing the basket no matter who's defending him and can't take advantage of a mismatch. That said, I would welcome the Wizards try to take advantage of Porter inside. That would completely disrupt their offensive gameplan and force them to play a style they have never played. Besides, would Wall and Beal be willing passers? Or would they still try to get theirs? Knowing their style I would guess the latter.

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Yeah, Porter is 6-9 and has a long wingspan. However, he has no post-up game. He's similar to Crowder who needs to be facing the basket no matter who's defending him and can't take advantage of a mismatch. That said, I would welcome the Wizards try to take advantage of Porter inside. That would completely disrupt their offensive gameplan and force them to play a style they have never played. Besides, would Wall and Beal be willing passers? Or would they still try to get theirs? Knowing their style I would guess the latter.
He also doesn't drive to the hoop. Thomas would just have to hop up and down trying to bother his spot-ups. I find that preferable to IT getting rolled over by either Beal or Wall all series, which he absolutely would.

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2017, 05:12:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

He also doesn't drive to the hoop. Thomas would just have to hop up and down trying to bother his spot-ups. I find that preferable to IT getting rolled over by either Beal or Wall all series, which he absolutely would.

That's my mindset too. Let's force Porter to beat us and do so in a way that he's uncomfortable doing.

Here's an image of Thomas next to Porter. Obviously the height disparity is great, but it's not undoable. Thomas fronting a posting Porter, while Horford is doubling off Gortat from the weakside to defend the entry pass is my thinking.

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

That's my mindset too. Let's force Porter to beat us and do so in a way that he's uncomfortable doing.

Here's an image of Thomas next to Porter. Obviously the height disparity is great, but it's not undoable. Thomas fronting a posting Porter, while Horford is doubling off Gortat from the weakside to defend the entry pass is my thinking.

Is Porter going to be uncomfortable when he's shooting 3s over a player a foot shorter than him?  Is he going to be uncomfortable cutting to the basket while guarded by IT?  If they do post him, how many offensive rebounds are going to be given up with Horford having to board against Porter and Gortat?  If I'm the Wizards, I go after IT no matter who he is guarding.  They aren't going to win if they let IT coast on defense. 

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Is Porter going to be uncomfortable when he's shooting 3s over a player a foot shorter than him?  Is he going to be uncomfortable cutting to the basket while guarded by IT?  If they do post him, how many offensive rebounds are going to be given up with Horford having to board against Porter and Gortat?  If I'm the Wizards, I go after IT no matter who he is guarding.  They aren't going to win if they let IT coast on defense.

If the Wizards make Porter the focal point of their offense, then I like our chances to advance. Letting Thomas get torched vs Wall and/or Beal is not a recipe for success. Rather put him on a weaker offensive player that will be asked to do something he's unaccustomed to doing.

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

If the Wizards make Porter the focal point of their offense, then I like our chances to advance. Letting Thomas get torched vs Wall and/or Beal is not a recipe for success. Rather put him on a weaker offensive player that will be asked to do something he's unaccustomed to doing.
This. If the Wizards try to post up Porter, where is Gortat on the floor? He's obviously not going to be out at the 3 point line. That changes thier spacing. If he's just spot up shooting, that's fine. That's what he does normally and IT is just going to have to get up underneath him and make him uncomfortable.