Author Topic: What if: C's get 4th pick and only Ball available?  (Read 8662 times)

Re: What if: C's get 4th pick and only Ball available?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Don't overthink it. Take Ball, and ban his father from team facilities.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I heard that Ball's dad never went into the UCLA locker room and never interfered with the coaches at all.   I don't think we need to worry about that.  Just do your scouting and pick the player you think is best.  If that is Ball, great.

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I would be thrilled to see the Cs get Ball with anything other then the first pick.

I dislike the way his father is handling himself but in terms of a basketball player Ball is special. Like every other 18/19 year old prospect he has wholes in his game. He needs to finish better at the rim, create better off the dribble and gain muscle in order to defend. What fans must not loose sight of is the fact that this kid has truly elite court vision and awareness. When we have been blessed to experience "playoff Rondo" it has shown what a player with an elite mental capacity for the game is capable of. It was not a fluke that Ball made UCLA relevant this season.

His fit with the current roster is less then ideal but the top of the lottery is not a position to worry about fit, best player available is a must at that point. Outside the lottery I understand drafting for fit but not in the lottery.

I expect every team to rank Fultz as the #1 pick and after that the majority to still have Ball at #2. Looking at the teams currently in position for picks 1-10 only the Suns and T-Wolves are teams that I could image would pass on Ball for Jackson. For the Celtics I expect the tiers will be the following.

#1 Fultz

#2 Ball

#3 Tatum, Jackson
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If this draft didn't have Fultz, Ball would be the obvious #1 pick. He has NBA range on his three already, that wack form works. He'd be a plus defender and distributor right away. If we get Ball, be happy.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
You guys are crazy. Yea Ball's dad is a headache, and I'm sure if he got to choose he'd go to LA, but Ball is going to be really good in the NBA. Got the size, athleticism, and high IQ to play right away in the NBA. I wouldn't be upset taking him at 1.

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I could live with it and if we take him In Danny I trust, but to be clear IMO Lonzo Ball is a distant 4.

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Shop the pick but don't hesitate to take Ball. Unbelievable talent level for the #4 pick
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I heard that Ball's dad never went into the UCLA locker room and never interfered with the coaches at all.   I don't think we need to worry about that.  Just do your scouting and pick the player you think is best.  If that is Ball, great.
He interfered plenty when Lonzo was in high school.  It would be funny if the Celtics gave him the Charles Oakley treatment.

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
If this draft didn't have Fultz, Ball would be the obvious #1 pick. He has NBA range on his three already, that wack form works. He'd be a plus defender and distributor right away. If we get Ball, be happy.
except for moving to the right and shooting. something he did zero times in college ball. but i am sure that if this total absense of such a shot continues in to the nba, it wont affect his career in the least.  ::)

ball will probably be a good nba player, but the above coupled with his questionable defense are a concern. what makes you think he will be a plus defender when every scouting report says differently?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I heard that Ball's dad never went into the UCLA locker room and never interfered with the coaches at all.   

That's good to hear .     I'm not against Ball as a player, he seems ok by himself  ,  if Fultz goes to Suns or Lakers ......and DA and CBS are satisfied with his interview and workout .  Then seems good to me to go 2nd or 3 th.   

I'll be crying watching Jackson on another team though  :)

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 04:43:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
adding Ball would definitely be quite a shake-up.  If the Celtics handle the Wizards with relative ease I don't see them willing to rock the boat too much (trading Bradley and maybe Rozier, etc.).  Ball will be ready for big minutes early in his career.  I can't picture him nor his dad handling a situation with Rozier type minutes.  Even if the Celtics trade Bradley there still may be a problem...can you start Ball next to IT?  Seems not wise defensively....so basically I think adding Ball means lots of bench time for a big time draft stud.  I can't see it. 

In this scenario I think the Celtics should trade Ball for a PF upgrade plus assets.  It would be shocking if the Celtics traded IT, but adding Ball to the Celtics would point to that in the near future (after 1 year?) imo. 

Aside:  A player like Ball would be great for a guy like Jaylen Brown, not to mention Butler or PG should the Celts trade for one of them.

IF the  Celtics get the #1 pick, Fultz will not add the same level headache as trying to incorporate Ball, because 1. I think he's less ready than Ball,  and 2. he can eventually provide enough defense at the 2 such that he could start in place of Bradley (not as good defense as Bradley but great length and also making up for it with offense).  If Ball can be a capable defender of the 2 spot in the NBA then I stand corrected. 

As far as trading Rozier for upgrade at PF...would Detroit do Rozier plus ________ for Tobias Harris?  How far along is Henry Ellenson as a potential 4?  Also interested in Saric as our future 4 but don't know what it would take.

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Who's ready to buy the big baller brand shoes though? That's the real question  ::)

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
except for moving to the right and shooting. something he did zero times in college ball. but i am sure that if this total absense of such a shot continues in to the nba, it wont affect his career in the least.  ::)

ball will probably be a good nba player, but the above coupled with his questionable defense are a concern. what makes you think he will be a plus defender when every scouting report says differently?

He'll be sinking open threes right away. He'll sink catch-and-shoot contested threes, too. If his one big flaw is he can't shoot contested threes when moving right and pulling up, that's not a big deal.

He will be a plus defender overall because of his IQ and size. Good defense isn't solely about being a good 1-on-1 defender. He will be a good team defender right away. He'll get beat off the dribble quite a bit, but he'll also grab boards and he'll bother shots and deflect/intercept passes.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He'll be sinking open threes right away. He'll sink catch-and-shoot contested threes, too. If his one big flaw is he can't shoot contested threes when moving right and pulling up, that's not a big deal.

He will be a plus defender overall because of his IQ and size. Good defense isn't solely about being a good 1-on-1 defender. He will be a good team defender right away. He'll get beat off the dribble quite a bit, but he'll also grab boards and he'll bother shots and deflect/intercept passes.

I couldn't disagree more. As a starting PG it's imperative that you fight through screens and not get beat off the dribble. Ball's slight build will be a challenge for him to fight through the amount of screen and rolls he'll face. His athleticism/foot speed is also a concern. He has good height, but has average wingspan. He'll be a Carter-Williams type defender, which isn't good.

I love his passing and the ability to put the ball in shooting pockets, but his upside based on his athletic ability isn't as high as other potential draftees.

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Really think people are missing the boat here with Ball. I don't know if its bias because of hid ridiculous father or people putting way too much stock in that draftexpress video showing his weaknesses. Ball is the real deal and either the second best or best player in this draft. If he is available ar 2, 3, or 4....Celtics gotta take him.

Oh Lord! Something we agree on! This can't be good!

Ball is well beyond his peers and most NBA Point Guards, in his passing ability and the way he sees the floor.  Can't ever imagine him dropping to 4th pick.  He makes the players around him better!  I like Fox, Tatum, Smith, Monk, Isaac.  But Ball could be special.  I believe Fultz will  go one.  Jackson is perhaps the best athlete in the draft. He'd be a great score at 4.
I don't think Boston can pass on Ball, unless there is a superstar coming back in a deal.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-