Author Topic: What if: C's get 4th pick and only Ball available?  (Read 8618 times)

Re: What if: C's get 4th pick and only Ball available?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
https://youtu.be/DwBwr2it1IQ

https://youtu.be/iS9NF0ePsvI

Watch these and it will tell you everything about Lonzo Ball.

He struggles in the half court badly, relies on the transition for 30% of his offence. Can't break down his defender in ISO, relies heavily on step back jumpers ect. ect.

With huge weaknesses like these, plus the Tebow like sideshow Ball should be a mid first rounder.

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Really think people are missing the boat here with Ball. I don't know if its bias because of hid ridiculous father or people putting way too much stock in that draftexpress video showing his weaknesses. Ball is the real deal and either the second best or best player in this draft. If he is available ar 2, 3, or 4....Celtics gotta take him.

Oh Lord! Something we agree on! This can't be good!

Ball is well beyond his peers and most NBA Point Guards, in his passing ability and the way he sees the floor.  Can't ever imagine him dropping to 4th pick.  He makes the players around him better!  I like Fox, Tatum, Smith, Monk, Isaac.  But Ball could be special.  I believe Fultz will  go one.  Jackson is perhaps the best athlete in the draft. He'd be a great score at 4.
I don't think Boston can pass on Ball, unless there is a superstar coming back in a deal.
;D TP

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If this draft didn't have Fultz, Ball would be the obvious #1 pick. He has NBA range on his three already, that wack form works. He'd be a plus defender and distributor right away. If we get Ball, be happy.

His wack form worked in college. He will be playing against quicker and faster players in the NBA. I don't think its a given that he will be able to consistently outperform given his mechanics. I haven't heard any scouts or basketball insiders state that they prefer his shooting stroke to the other players.

I'm not that interested in selecting another guard high that has any issues regarding shooting. Right now I'm thinking I want Fultz or a forward.

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
That would be annoying

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Ball will be lucky to even make it to top10..

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
De'Aaron Fox will be a better pro than Ball (and maybe Tatum).  That's the pick.
couldn't agree more. I'd put Monk over Ball ass well.

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
De'Aaron Fox will be a better pro than Ball (and maybe Tatum).  That's the pick.

That's bold, salty.  But I like it.  Any concern about Fox's shooting?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2017, 08:50:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That's bold, salty.  But I like it.  Any concern about Fox's shooting?

Concern, sure.  It's definitely his weakest attribute.  But it also improved as the season went on.  He went 13-41 from 3 (not great, but not horrific) in conference play and the NCAAs, after beginning the year 4-28 before conference play started.  He also made over 70% from the line on a high volume of free throws, so his shot isn't completely broken.  I think he'll become a good enough shooter over time such that, while he might never be a great shooter, he'll be good enough to make teams pay for going under screens or playing off him when he doesn't have the ball.

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
What I'm still trying to figure out is how Lonzo's dad, with all his bluster and supposed Bball knowledge, why on God's green Earth did he NOT fix his son's shot????  :o IMO, in the NBA, he doesn't have the foot speed and it will be EASY to shut that ridiculous shot from his knee's down. Based on this alone, I wouldn't draft him, PERIOD.  LA can have him.

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Well, it's pointless to concern ourselves yet---the individual workouts are gonna be huge.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2017, 12:17:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Honestly LaVarr has already ruined Lonzo's career, UA, Nike and Adidas have already given up in giving him an offer due to LaVarr. Don't see any Chinese brand wanting to deal with him while Q4 and Brandblack are definitely not signing him (pretty much all good sneaker brands will be staying away). I expect him to wear BigBallerBrand stuff in his short NBA career if his dad doesn't shut up (I think his dad will mess up his nba contract negotiations as well)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Honestly LaVarr has already ruined Lonzo's career, UA, Nike and Adidas have already given up in giving him an offer due to LaVarr. Don't see any Chinese brand wanting to deal with him while Q4 and Brandblack are definitely not signing him (pretty much all good sneaker brands will be staying away). I expect him to wear BigBallerBrand stuff in his short NBA career if his dad doesn't shut up (I think his dad will mess up his nba contract negotiations as well)

What i've seen of Lonzo is that he is completely different then his dad, very level headed and quiet. I could see him eventually realising that his Dad is a cancer and slowing pushing away his father which could end up being a circus in itself.

I think he is a huge project and should be a late lottery pick but in saying that there are some dumb teams with a top pick e.g. Lakers, Magic, Knicks, Kings...so wouldn't be surprised if he went high.

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2017, 12:58:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

What i've seen of Lonzo is that he is completely different then his dad, very level headed and quiet. I could see him eventually realising that his Dad is a cancer and slowing pushing away his father which could end up being a circus in itself.

I think he is a huge project and should be a late lottery pick but in saying that there are some dumb teams with a top pick e.g. Lakers, Magic, Knicks, Kings...so wouldn't be surprised if he went high.
Same thoughts here. He's very mature imo and I think he'll eventually be a good nba player but he may not get any more chances when that day comes because of his dad. He needsto work out stuff with his dad ASAP if he wants to be successful
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
If this draft didn't have Fultz, Ball would be the obvious #1 pick. He has NBA range on his three already, that wack form works. He'd be a plus defender and distributor right away. If we get Ball, be happy.
except for moving to the right and shooting. something he did zero times in college ball. but i am sure that if this total absense of such a shot continues in to the nba, it wont affect his career in the least.  ::)

ball will probably be a good nba player, but the above coupled with his questionable defense are a concern. what makes you think he will be a plus defender when every scouting report says differently?

He'll be sinking open threes right away. He'll sink catch-and-shoot contested threes, too. If his one big flaw is he can't shoot contested threes when moving right and pulling up, that's not a big deal.

He will be a plus defender overall because of his IQ and size. Good defense isn't solely about being a good 1-on-1 defender. He will be a good team defender right away. He'll get beat off the dribble quite a bit, but he'll also grab boards and he'll bother shots and deflect/intercept passes.
First, my point on shooting was different than what you write above. I said that NEVER EVEN ONCE has ball moved right and attempted a shot in college. Never! We have no idea whether he can do something as basic as that. You are making a different point entirely. If ball cannot move right and shoot, he is in trouble in the NBA. Defenders will over play his left hand, forcing him to his right.

Again, we don't know.

Second, your estimation of his defense flies in the face of all the scouting reports. He seemed to me to be a lazy defender, unwilling to move his feet consistently. There are a number of smart, tall NBA players who are crappy at defense. I don't know if ball will be one of them, and neither do you.

The workouts are going to be interesting.  If fox shows he can shoot, it might be best to take fox over ball.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ball will be lucky to even make it to top10..
That is a ridiculous statement. Even with all his flaws listed and videoed on draftexpess(which sooo many here seem to be putting an astonishing amount of importance to without taking his positives into consideration) he is still their second pick. Just about every mock I see has him top 2.

BTW do people forget that draft pundits questioned Shawn Marion's strange three point shot as well. Seemed to work okay for him and Ball will get his shot off as well, and probably shoot it at over 40% at some point in his career.