Author Topic: What if: C's get 4th pick and only Ball available?  (Read 8620 times)

Re: What if: C's get 4th pick and only Ball available?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Really think people are missing the boat here with Ball. I don't know if its bias because of hid ridiculous father or people putting way too much stock in that draftexpress video showing his weaknesses. Ball is the real deal and either the second best or best player in this draft. If he is available ar 2, 3, or 4....Celtics gotta take him.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Take the BPA.  For me it wouldn't be Ball.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
whatever you do, don't pick ball

he is going to dropppp hard imo

then maybe his dad will understand to stop talking and ruining his sons career..... 

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Eventually the kid will isolate the dad from his career as he loses more endorsements.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I wouldn't hate the pick. Still, I'd see if the Pacers or Bulls were interested. Hehe
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Really think people are missing the boat here with Ball. I don't know if its bias because of hid ridiculous father or people putting way too much stock in that draftexpress video showing his weaknesses. Ball is the real deal and either the second best or best player in this draft. If he is available ar 2, 3, or 4....Celtics gotta take him.

I agree.

Ball is a WINNER who elevates the games of those around him. Leaf, Holiday, Welsh and Alford wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective as they were without Ball. Ball sees things before they happen and his teammates get the ball when and where they want.

I think there are two reasons why Ball is undervalued here.

First, the two very high profile head to heads with Fox (Kentucky). The first time they met, UCLA went into Rupp vs the #1 Wildcats. Ball had a rough early start, but settled down after the first 10 minutes. Fox was flying around looking physically impressive. Their stats that game weren't that different. Ball-led UCLA broke the #1 team in the country 42 game home winning streak.Their second head to head in the NCAAS, Fox did outplay Ball....Happens. Many people judge Ball very harshly because of these two games.

Second, Ball is not a very orthodox player. From his funky shot to his reliance on instinct, guile and savvy instead of the off-the charts athleticism that is expected in great players, his achievements and potential are grossly undervalued.

I am pumped that we are getting one of Ball/Fultz/Jackson/Tatum.....PUMPED

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I agree.

Ball is a WINNER...
You have no idea whether he is a "winner" because he hasn't played a second in the NBA yet. College winners are a dime a dozen.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 10:56:16 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If we are at 4 and Ball is all that's left, does that automatically mean that Philly picked before us and passed on Ball?  Or is it possible that with us at 4 that Philly is down at 5 or 6? 

If Philly is at 2 or 3, didn't land Fultz and passed on Ball (and they took Jackson or Tatum), would they then be especially willing to trade Saric (Simmons plus Tatum/Jackson plus Saric is certainly to be rich in combo forwards)?

I'm interested in Saric.  We'll be ok at center, but we need to upgrade the starting 4.  I'm ok with Amir, KO or both coming back, but off the bench please. 

In fact, if we don't re-sign Kelly who the heck is going to replace him if we don't trade for a PF who can shoot from deep?  I think it's very likely Kelly is resigned because I don't see much else out there.

So, if Philly drafts Jackson or Tatum but also likes Ball or Fox, would they give up Saric and a future first for one of them?

Otherwise, we could trade down for Markannen or Isaac, or just take Isaac.  Or possibly trade way down for Hartenstein plus a quality veteran, but that option also means re-signing Kelly or Amir or both if there's not another free agent PF shooter, since none of those picks would be much good at first (especially think Markannen could be fool's gold...fool's silver?), unless the vet. coming back was a good PF who can shoot.  This is all based on Yabs not being ready for big minutes next year, which I could be right or wrong on.   

Barring any trades, my guess is that Danny would take a rare draft gamble and take Isaac at 4 (seeing him as better than the others waaayyyy down the road). Then Fox then Ball in order of preference.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:10:49 PM by wiley »

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 11:03:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I agree.

Ball is a WINNER who elevates the games of those around him. Leaf, Holiday, Welsh and Alford wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective as they were without Ball. Ball sees things before they happen and his teammates get the ball when and where they want.

I think there are two reasons why Ball is undervalued here.

First, the two very high profile head to heads with Fox (Kentucky). The first time they met, UCLA went into Rupp vs the #1 Wildcats. Ball had a rough early start, but settled down after the first 10 minutes. Fox was flying around looking physically impressive. Their stats that game weren't that different. Ball-led UCLA broke the #1 team in the country 42 game home winning streak.Their second head to head in the NCAAS, Fox did outplay Ball....Happens. Many people judge Ball very harshly because of these two games.

Second, Ball is not a very orthodox player. From his funky shot to his reliance on instinct, guile and savvy instead of the off-the charts athleticism that is expected in great players, his achievements and potential are grossly undervalued.

I am pumped that we are getting one of Ball/Fultz/Jackson/Tatum.....PUMPED
I have to admit the 4 of these guys are In a class of their own. Everyone agrees that is the elite tier of this draft. Each of the 4 have star potential

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 11:13:51 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
If we fall to 4th and Ball is left, maybe we get lucky and the Fakers end up with no pick.

If so, what would we want from LA to give them Ball?

Zeller and Ball for what combination of Russell/Ingram/Zubac/Randle/LA's late 1st/Nance? What combination? It'd be fun to squeeze those fakers and make them pay. And I think they would.

(Personally, I like Ball. I think that Ball would be deadly on this team with IT, AB, Hayward, Jaylen, but squeezing those Fakers would almost be too enjoyable to pass up.)

The Lakers don't give up Ingram or Russell in a Ball trade and I wouldn't trade him for anybody else they have.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
You draft the best player available...always

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 11:24:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If we fall to 4th and Ball is left, maybe we get lucky and the Fakers end up with no pick.

If so, what would we want from LA to give them Ball?

Zeller and Ball for what combination of Russell/Ingram/Zubac/Randle/LA's late 1st/Nance? What combination? It'd be fun to squeeze those fakers and make them pay. And I think they would.

(Personally, I like Ball. I think that Ball would be deadly on this team with IT, AB, Hayward, Jaylen, but squeezing those Fakers would almost be too enjoyable to pass up.)

The Lakers don't give up Ingram or Russell in a Ball trade and I wouldn't trade him for anybody else they have.

They'd give up Russell and Randle for Ball. Probably not Ingram. Magic wants to shake things up. Getting Ball would do that.

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 11:45:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Draft Ball and include him in a trade for Butler or George. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 12:45:10 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Draft Ball and include him in a trade for Butler or George.

I think its a call on who you like more: Ball or Fox. Both are good players. I like Fox's game more for this team but think Ball is a little better. I would take Ball.

Dennis Smith should be considered as well.

Drafting a pg will give the Celtics leverage with IT.

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 01:16:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Trade up or trade it for a young star
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA