Author Topic: Does 4 in a row matter to anyone?  (Read 5804 times)

Re: Does 4 in a row matter to anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I will be impressed. However, I would like to know what the biggest difference was between losing the first two and the potential 4 in a row. Was it Chicago not being the same team without Rondo. I know Rondo wasn't a big part of their team this year, so was Chicago playing above their ceiling in games 1 and 2? I remember prime time Rondo being totally different from regular season Rondo. Or was the biggest difference coming from the Celtics perspective. It seems to me, games 1 and 2 had a sense of dread looming over them from the shock of Thomas' sister, that resonated from the Celtics. The team didn't seem to know how to react and play, while still feeling sympathy for Thomas. Since then, it seems like Isaiah has his feel good attitude back and the team is just back to playing basketball. An this is the team we have watched all year and that clawed their way to the #1 seed.

So if the Rondo reason is true, then I'm not liking our chances for the next round. However, if the second reason is true, I would be vey confident in making the Eastern Conference Finals.

Some of it was flat out luck, if you believe in luck.  In game 2, for example, the Celtics shot about 40% on open FGA, while the Bulls shot over 60%.  They attempted about the same number of these shots (within 2-3).  The Bulls made their open shots, the Celtics missed theirs, and that was pretty much the difference in the game.  It wasn't anything that one team did or didn't do, aside from being able to make open jump shots, and that's due more to randomness than anything else, as unexciting of an explanation as that is.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It ends the series and gets us out of the first round for the first time since 2012. That's impressive enough for me. Beyond that a win in 6 is a win in 6 - a tougher series than you'd hope for in a 1 vs 8 but the result you want.

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It ends the series and gets us out of the first round for the first time since 2012. That's impressive enough for me. Beyond that a win in 6 is a win in 6 - a tougher series than you'd hope for in a 1 vs 8 but the result you want.

Round 1 in `08 went 7.  Take it any way we can get it!
Yup

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You mean as opposed to losing tonight?  Heck yeah it matters.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 01:20:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
It absolutely does. Most people, myself included, had this team dead when they went down 0-2.
Going from 0-2 to a "sweep" is a huge confidence booster, we go from being known as the "Weakest" one seed of all time to simply the one seed in the East.

To me tonight is a must win, the team needs rest and they need to continue to ride the wave they're on.

Unfortunately if Washington wins tonight I think Game 1 of the semis is Sunday. Not much rest for us.

Has the second round schedule been announced yet? Not sure how that is justifiable if the Cavs and Raptors play Monday night considering Toronto played yesterday and Cavs series was over a week ago.

If Celtics win Game 6 and Wizards win Game 6, then East-Semis between Celtics and Wizards start THIS Sunday. Cavs/Raptors start on Monday.

If Celtics win Game 6 and Hawks win Game 6, and if either Hawks/Wizards win Game 7...then I believe East Semis between Celtics-Hawks/Wizards start on Tuesday.

Don't know how official this site is, but what SparzWizard is saying is backed up here.  Makes sense too, since the TD Garden is already booked for the C's on Sunday.

Unfortunately, whether it's Game 7 Sunday at 1pm, or Game 1 Sunday at 1pm, this could be trouble. Isaiah's flying back to Tacoma again for the funeral tomorrow,  so it's probably a red eye from Chicago to Tacoma tonight, and then it's like a 6 1/2 hour flight from Tacoma back to Boston for Sunday's early start at 1pm.  You think Isaiah is going to get a good nights rest between post game tonight and tip off on Sunday?  I'm worried he'll be flat and looked drained like Game 2.

C's need to wrap this up tonight, and hope Atlanta pushes Washington to 7.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 01:21:26 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
With a win tonight, I'd be more impressed that 3 of those 4 wins came in Chicago.

That's the mark of a winner...beating your opponent in their own house!

Rak

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Let's end this tonight so IT can go and lay his sister to rest.

I think Atlanta and Wiz will go 7, with game 1 of the semi's starting Tue or Wed.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It'd be a series won. 

I don't care how you get there.  Sweep, coming back down from 0-2, whatever.  Winning a series would be a big achievement for this group.  Monkey off the back of Brad too.
this.

would have preferred a sweep but I'll take a series win any way they can get it.  in an attempt to put a positive spin on the series, should they win it's given them a taste of being down and coming back from a deficit --> don't quit -- this team can comeback.

that said, would like a sweep in the next round to lower my stress level

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Matters. Keep it going

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Yes, it's the backwards sweep!

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 10:29:01 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
pseudo-sweep

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 11:15:06 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
NO

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
It shows resilience and gives another achievement to these overachievers, but the standard is still Cleveland.  They push that team to a 6 or 7 games series then color me very impressed.  Until then we're still just touching the glass ceiling.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 08:47:13 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
winning 4 in a row against any team in the playoffs is something I never expected this team to even be capable of doing. impressive? yes. unfortunately there's all sorts of asterisks surrounding this series win.

if they win in at least 5 against Washington I will definitely start to reconsider my thoughts on this team.

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
winning 4 in a row against any team in the playoffs is something I never expected this team to even be capable of doing. impressive? yes. unfortunately there's all sorts of asterisks surrounding this series win.

if they win in at least 5 against Washington I will definitely start to reconsider my thoughts on this team.
No I disagree, this team earned it.  Only one asterisk, no Rondo, but they would have beat them anyway I'm convinced.  I credit Brad with the starting lineup change, plus sheer will to win.  Celtics wanted it more than Bulls, as evidenced by 3 road wins and that's why they play the game.